why are there so many threads started by men on thumped about how shit women are? (1 Viewer)

i think it's maybe not so much what you're saying as the way you're saying it. telling people they're wrong to make jokes because they just don't understand what they're really saying (whereas you do) is inviting a negative response

What he said.

well, it's just that the 'why do women take so long to do everything' thread was a joke in the first place

by marking it out as a sign of a worrying trend towards sexism on thumped it probably made people want to make more sexist comments to keep winding you up... rather than because they're actually raving bigots or whatever.

there's a lot of casual sexism on thumped and it's worth bringing it up, but like i said way back in the first pages i think a lot of it's to do with the way people are on thumped and the sense of humour that prevales

i'm not having a go here...

it's more about a general attitude which has become rather prominant lately from posters who seem to think that they are allowed to get away with saying whatever obnoxious shit they want.

Should of said that ages ago, I would have been all,

'he's right there you know, wouldn't argue with that
mysterysolvedyc1.gif
'

Instead, this thread is gonna break the internet

well, it's just that the 'why do women take so long to do everything' thread was a joke in the first place

by marking it out as a sign of a worrying trend towards sexism on thumped it probably made people want to make more sexist comments to keep winding you up... rather than because they're actually raving bigots or whatever.

there's a lot of casual sexism on thumped and it's worth bringing it up, but like i said way back in the first pages i think a lot of it's to do with the way people are on thumped and the sense of humour that prevales

i'm not having a go here...

aye, i see what you mean, but a good example of how the "ironic humour" thing isn't a great excuse is in the use of homophobic terms, as i mentioned before. several posters here, including myself, explained why we thought throwing the word "faggot" around wasn't really acceptable and not particularly amusing, and them rampz went and did it. i understand the whole idea of doing it to get a rise out of people, but i'll still call it out as lazy bullshit.

people have remarked that there doesnt seem to be m/any openly gay people on thumped. you wonder why? i would say if i was a gay man and i came onto this forum and saw "faggot" being thrown around, it may well bring back the horrible insults and bullying i may have received in the past.

as for the whole "ironic" use of offensive language and jokes, very few of the people who do this are actually witty enough to be genuinely funny with it. code ninja being probably the only one i can think of who can get away with saying outrageous stuff by virtue of his intelligence and sharpness.

anyhow, this is pretty much going around in circles at this stage. i have stated my point of view for those few who care about such things.

it's more about a general attitude which has become rather prominant lately from posters who seem to think that they are allowed to get away with saying whatever obnoxious shit they want.

Well that point is fair and less attacking than 'why are there so many threads by men on thumped about how shit women are?'. A fair point if its true and specific gets more consideration and balanced argument than a general statement about a topic that is too broad to define and makes everyone defensive.

I do agree there are sexists comments about in different threads but not all male posters on thumped are sexist. There are some but I like Brian said perhaps its not totally sexist based so much as wanting to wind people up and get a reaction.

Im new here so you'll have to forgive me. Someone started a thread which someone else thought was in bad taste, someone went bananas citing sexism, someone went bananas becasue they were accussed of being sexist, for fifty-odd pages? Good stuff.

aye, i see what you mean, but a good example of how the "ironic humour" thing isn't a great excuse is in the use of homophobic terms, as i mentioned before. several posters here, including myself, explained why we thought throwing the word "faggot" around wasn't really acceptable and not particularly amusing, and them rampz went and did it. i understand the whole idea of doing it to get a rise out of people, but i'll still call it out as lazy bullshit.

people have remarked that there doesnt seem to be m/any openly gay people on thumped. you wonder why? i would say if i was a gay man and i came onto this forum and saw "faggot" being thrown around, it may well bring back the horrible insults and bullying i may have received in the past.

as for the whole "ironic" use of offensive language and jokes, very few of the people who do this are actually witty enough to be genuinely funny with it. code ninja being probably the only one i can think of who can get away with saying outrageous stuff by virtue of his intelligence and sharpness.

anyhow, this is pretty much going around in circles at this stage. i have stated my point of view for those few who care about such things.

yeah
i said more or less the same
just trying to point out to sweetoblivion that she shouldn't take it too personally, she shouldn't rise to the baiting, because you can't win an argument with someone whose goal is actually to annoy you rather than reason against you.
maybe that's easy for me to say

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back