What's the worst place you've ever visited? (2 Viewers)

Dachau. Compelling nonetheless.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Moate yet. Moate.

Dachau or Moate.

Castlebar.

Followed by Ferns. A fucking horriblly creepy place with a lot of shit hanging in the air.

Ah no,
Ferns is deadly in a “Murder, She Wrote” episode kinda way. There’s a big old house on the way in which has actually got really quaint self catering cottages, if you’re into that sort of thing.

It has the only 24 hour shop between Dublin and Carlow/Waterford/Wexford. I think. Certainly the only one I ever found.
Last time I was there the guy in the shop was sitting in the back screaming Trivium tunes to himself until he saw us. We were so embarrassed for him that we had to hide, run away and come back pretending we’d just arrived.
Then the local boy racers pulled up and asked demandingly “Do yee like Dragonforce biyz? Do yee?”
Good times.

Loads of midlands towns are full of that pointless aggressive bullshit. Moate, Granard, Athlone, everywhere in Offaly. Besides home, Roscommon town is probably where I’ve noticed it most.

Milton Keynes was a pretty desperate place at 11 oclock at night.
Parts of New Jersey are terrible.

I spent a Bank Holiday Monday in IKEA in Milton Keynes.

It's staggeringly depressing - the town centre is a shopping centre.

I know England has some fairly dire places. But some of the towns outside of Riga in Latvia require a great deal of imagination in order to survive.

Some of England is lovely. I can't think of a better word - "lovely", it really is just lovely. Cornwall, Bath, even some of the smallish Midlands towns (like Stratford and Warwick).

I lived in Coventry for 2 years, and it wasn't so bad ... though come to think of it it had no acceptable nightlife and a horrible city centre, and I can't think of a single redeeming feature. Hmmm

Some of England is lovely. I can't think of a better word - "lovely", it really is just lovely. Cornwall, Bath, even some of the smallish Midlands towns (like Stratford and Warwick).

The places untouched by the industrial revolution are still lovely. It permanently scarred a lot of the country.
However...
Newcastle is really rather pretty, especially along the river and it it is built in a really dramatic setting, a steep incline up from the river on both Newcastle and Gateshead sides.
Leeds city centre is quite elegant with a lot of impressive Victorian architecture.

The BBC series 'Coast' highlights a lot of gorgeous old seaside towns, especially on the east coast.

I lived in Coventry for 2 years, and it wasn't so bad ... though come to think of it it had no acceptable nightlife and a horrible city centre, and I can't think of a single redeeming feature. Hmmm

Cambridge is very nice. Although it has no decent nightclubs. The pubs are excellent though.

Where I am now is nice. Bournemouth itself is okay, but the countryside is excellent. The New Forest... Purbeck... the Jurassic Coast... Salisbury... the Isle of Wight

From what I know Nottingham is really bad. Berkshire is really bad. A lot of Hertfordshire is really bad.
Stevenage - I mean, even the name is just shit. Letchworth.

But there are plenty of very nice, very pleasent places in the mainland.

Cambridge is very nice. Although it has no decent nightclubs. The pubs are excellent though.

Yep, I really liked Cambridge the couple of times I was there.

The worst place I've visited would probably be Glasgow, ugh. I also have some weird, nightmarish, memories of a youth group visit to London when I was a kid, but that had more to do with the fact that we were staying in Hackney than anything else. I'm still not overly fond of London though.

I spent a Bank Holiday Monday in IKEA in Milton Keynes.

It's staggeringly depressing - the town centre is a shopping centre.

What's amazing about Milton Keynes (at night I suppose) is there is no one there, when there blatantly should be people there.
Its unnerving, to say the least.

Its this fairly big town, complete with a lot of the things that a town would need, and literally the only sign that The Bomb hasn't been dropped, and Humanity's reign is over is the occasional train passing through.
There is even sinister litter blowing about. Everything becomes sinister actually.

Was in Swatragh, Co. Derry, doing live sound on Sunday night in the GAA club. 15 fights in the space of two hours. Couldn't understand a single fucking word anyone said the whole night. My ignorance, I suppose.

I liked Niagara Falls. I think I could live there. I'd work in the Hard Rock Café and live in a motel.

Make sure they have one of these:

Amenity39.JPG

Glasgow city centre's decent enough-god bless pedestrianization (horrible word) and yer man Mackintosh's architecture is interesting. Some good vibes up Sauchiehall Street, the Botanical Gardens and pretty much all of the West End but man, the suburbs are grim. Like all suburbs, I suppose.

It's hard to have a bad time in Glasgow.
Pubs full at 10AM on a Wednesday morning.
Bad for them, but good for the thirsty daytripper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back