Whats the deal with indie kids being into metal? (1 Viewer)

#chortle#

Metal is as serious as your life Richie, [do not meddle with things you do not understand]*

* play this bit backwards for effect.

I'm with Brian on this( I know,I would be)and think most people have picked him up wrong.
I definately get a sense of people who usually wouldn't give a shit about "metal" being into some of the more obvious bands to be into. Nothing against people discovering new sounds to them or anything but what's frustrating is when people go on about say Mastodon,and only care about a handful of other equally obvious bands. Quite often when offered something less cool,or less well known they don't care.
And when people go on about bands such as Motley Crue,Twisted Sister,Iron Maiden,etc etc like they are the best band ever and only know the hits and only in an ironic fashion,it's a bit sad really. Does the same thing happen for other genres? Is it just metal's time?
A good example is people who absolutely love AC/DC but hate Status Quo.
And SOD are/were shit.

is this really so puzzling?

www.pitchforkmedia.com

as for it being frustrating or annoying to metal purists, tough fuckin titty!
i only have so many hours to listen to music, i've listened to plenty of metal and hard rock in my lifetime and most of it was shite in my opinion. mastodon, high on fire, big business, khanate, sunn o))), goatsnake, jesu are great... some others too... but if you think i'm now obliged to go listen to some other stuff to validate my interest i think you need to relax a bit or something. try wanking?

I agree with you for the most part Bernard,but as with most genres the big bands are not always the best.
I can't think of a fair example,but it's when people go nuts for something and a similar band is suggested and the similar band is shrugged off,it's gotta make you wonder.
Does this not happen with other genres?

ah i'm just being a cheeky monkey - i know the feeling too well
the thing is, it's hard for people not immersed in the culture - ie 'indie kids' - to find out about the less well known, similar bands. for example no one's suggested much to me.
plus, one time niall 'doomsmoker' suggested i buy a floor LP, and i've been trying to get rid of it ever since.

what about 'metal kids' who list wu tang clan (for example) as being in their top albums along side metal albums?
is that not kind of the same thing?

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
If you have it on vinyl I'll take it from you. I may even be able to dig out some dischord related stuff to trade,haha.

yeah it's on white marble vinyl... make me an offer.

FLOORst.jpg

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Shit bands to begin with,actually I've never heard Pelican,but I'm sure they are shit.

I really like Isis, although I'd like them a whole lot better if they had different vocals. Celestial is pretty amazing.
I don't really like Pelican too much - they kinda sound really amature-ish.

You can add Sunn o))) and that lot to the 'people to blame' list too.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Shit bands to begin with,actually I've never heard Pelican,but I'm sure they are shit.

uh oh, someone told me they sound like oak, except with longer songs...
don't shoot the messenger...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back