Whats the deal with indie kids being into metal? (1 Viewer)

Jacobsen-Shoe-Gazer-53718.jpg

Unclealo said:
Well some of them. I know loads of people who grew up on thrash and wound up listening to stuff like Yo La Tengo. Does this count?
Supose.But thats not what Im talking about,Im talking about how all of a sudden people are getting excited about bands like High on Fire and Mastadon etc.They arent doing anything new,its been around in some form or other for years but its quite vogue to name check them now.

How can someone who "usually doesnt listen to metal but loves High on Fire" say that and expect to be taken seriously?Its about as metal as it gets.

Pantone247 said:
yeah, the stupid ones... all that is a case of "I'm into metal but all the girls in the metal scene are mingers (what few girls there are) so I'm going to be all indie cause the girls are better looking.... then I can be 'ironic' about my metal past"

true blue indie kids, like me, get really uptight about this kinda crap

Your right to aswell,I think you get what I mean.

Some people grew up listening to metal. Some people got into metal later on. And the people you are referring to quite possibly got into some metal bands via their favourite indie bands eg
Queens of the Stone Age to Kyuss to Earth to Neurosis to Mastadon

It's pure snobbery to begrudge people liking a band without a nerd like exploration of the entire genre

brianoak said:
Supose.But thats not what Im talking about,Im talking about how all of a sudden people are getting excited about bands like High on Fire and Mastadon etc.They arent doing anything new,its been around in some form or other for years but its quite vogue to name check them now.

How can someone who "usually doesnt listen to metal but loves High on Fire" say that and expect to be taken seriously?Its about as metal as it gets.

I posted about Mastodon yesterday but I don't know if I'm an indie kid or not... can someone help?

chickenham said:
I posted about Mastodon yesterday but I don't know if I'm an indie kid or not... can someone help?

Do you spend a lot of time doing this:

Jacobsen-Shoe-Gazer-53718.jpg

Or did you have Lir written on your school bag?

If so, you're an indie kid.

Vinnie said:
Some people grew up listening to metal. Some people got into metal later on. And the people you are referring to quite possibly got into some metal bands via their favourite indie bands eg
Queens of the Stone Age to Kyuss to Earth to Neurosis to Mastadon

It's pure snobbery to begrudge people liking a band without a nerd like exploration of the entire genre

Your missing the point Vinnie.Thats not what Im saying at all.Thats fine if thats how a peson got into it.Its the all of a sudden thing that gets me.Reread my posts,I think you are taking me up wrong.

For the record Queens of the Stone Age are a rock and roll band.

Pantone247 said:
yeah, the stupid ones... all that is a case of "I'm into metal but all the girls in the metal scene are mingers (what few girls there are) so I'm going to be all indie cause the girls are better looking.... then I can be 'ironic' about my metal past"

true blue indie kids, like me, get really uptight about this kinda crap
ha ha ha, funniest contextual post ever :)

What all of a sudden thing? Nobody mentioned Mastadon before yesterday. That doesn't mean that anyone who mentioned them yesterday got into them yesterday. Chickenham got me into metal 20 years ago when I were just a wee nipper.

And the phrase 'I dont normally listen to metal but..' eventually leads to the phrase ' I listen to metal'.

brianoak said:
Your missing the point Vinnie.Thats not what Im saying at all.Thats fine if thats how a peson got into it.Its the all of a sudden thing that gets me.Reread my posts,I think you are taking me up wrong.

For the record Queens of the Stone Age are a rock and roll band.

Wait a minute

Queen are what now?

Bulk-a-billy? Post Sknotlip HC? EFUYOWEGY? oRguROGROUROGRU?

yeah Brian, i just don't agree. I've re-read yr posts and it still would look down on someone like me who doesn't like metal per se but could absolutely love something (Like Mastodon) if i heard it at some session, i would probably then bang on about it for the next couple of days cos it was new and exciting to my ears, to say that's bullshit is to deprive people of being open minded.
I understand a lot of what DOES go on with scenesters and stuff but i think people are a lot MORE open minded than yr being led to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back