Road Records - A message from the staff (1 Viewer)

Very, very sad time for the indie scene in Ireland, road records are legends in our time. I'm not sure when they're closing down but I would urge everyone to buy at least one more album from these guys. A very very sad time!! Road Records - We salute you!!!

I went in to buy Jape, Large Mound, Fight Like Apes, Give a man a kick and they were all out, would be cool if these could be restocked.

large mound are not going to be leaving any more stock into road recs, it'll just add to the already tough job dave and julie have winding the the store up. however, if you make any purchases though the large mound site up until the time road rec closes its doors, all proceeds will go to the shop.

large mound are not going to be leaving any more stock into road recs, it'll just add to the already tough job dave and julie have winding the the store up. however, if you make any purchases though the large mound site up until the time road rec closes its doors, all proceeds will go to the shop.

Yo that goes for us too...if you want any Brian cullen's Love Bullets stuff pm me here and we will donate any cash towards the fund...let's say for the crack we will do our last EP and our first 10inch for a tenner...bargain sex town

It won't help Road much (I'm in the UK anyway), but this has pushed me to adopt a new new year's resolution. Recently I've been looking for music on Amazon first and only going to independents for things I can't find there, but now I'm going to use independents as my main source of music and only go to Amazon for back-catalogue items I can't get elsewhere. Looking around I'm surprised I hadn't noticed before how competitive (and much cheaper than Amazon for some labels) indies can be - somehow I had always assumed Amazon's behemoth scale meant they were the best value for everything.

Rather than ordering on line you should ask the indie can they get stuff in for you. You'd be surprised how often they can. Most of tyhe stuff I bought in Road I'd asked them to get for me. I also checked the site regularly and asked them to reserve stuff.

and another thing

I dunno why Road would want boxes of records/CDs that are gonna sell fuck all. If you really care that much about Road donate stuff from your collection other than that proposed here to the second hand section the likes of New Order, Fall, Tindersticks, Stereolab, etc.etc. etc. but of course that’d be harder then dumping your own crap into Road that’s being taking up space in your flat. Pathetic.

article in today's Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/theticket/articles/2009/0123/1232474674418.html

Sinead Gleeson said:
Road Records is getting ready to shut up shop after 11 years. Sinéad Gleeson laments the passing of the shop that has become a Dublin institution and, below, readers have their say
IT WAS appropriate that my last ever visit to Road Records, this week, was on “Blue Monday” – supposedly the saddest day of the year. The legendary Dublin record shop is closing its doors after 11 years. A heartfelt online statement from the owners last week cited multiple reasons for the closure.
To some, this is just an economic sob story, and to one commenter on The Ticket’s On The Record blog last week, it’s “just another record shop”, but for legions of music fans and bands this is a devastating loss.
There has never been a record shop like it in Dublin. Its closure signifies the end of an influential cultural institution. Road felt like a drop-in centre, musical co-op and, in the days before myspace or music blogs, one of the best places to discover new music.
Prior to 1997, Dublin had its fair share of independent record shops, but Road’s open-door friendliness marked it out. My teenage record-buying experiences in DTK, Comet or Freebird were mostly non-verbal transactions, with the odd derisory snort about your choices. So it was a big gulp of fresh air when Road arrived - it had no hint of High Fidelity snobbishness.
Dave Kennedy and Julie Collins, who ran Road, are to Irish independent music what Richard and Judy are to new authors. They have been that influential in supporting, distributing and encouraging new music in Ireland. No matter how small the pressing of your obscure post-rock seven inch, Collins and Kennedy were always happy to sell it. Their unfailing friendliness meant that every customer’s name was remembered and enquiries after kids, jobs and life in general were always genuine. People made lasting friendships with other customers and Glen Hansard, post-Oscar, still drops by when he’s in Ireland.
“Obliging” is a word often used about Road. If a new album arrived and you couldn’t pop in to retrieve it immediately, they were happy to hold it behind the counter. Not a policy you’d get from a large retail chain, and it resulted in the shop’s toilet/ante room being clogged up with a sea of bags.
Customers were encouraged to listen to albums before indulging in record-buying sprees. Like many, for years my weekly ritual involved a Saturday visit, but it was always more fun dropping in midweek when it was quiet. There would be the offer of tea, much shooting the breeze and, obviously, music – with never any pressure to buy.
Thanks to those random listening sessions, I discovered all kinds of music, from my first Low album to Limerick’s Out On A Limb label; from obscure reggae and Sigur Rós’s debut album to Señor Coconut’s Latino covers of Kraftwerk.
The latter holds my most personal memory of Road, when a good friend and I were in the shop chatting with Julie, laughing at the cha-cha reworking of Autobahn. I bought the album; my friend asked to have one put on hold. A week later, he died in an accident and in the days before his funeral I found myself in the shop, reminiscing with Julie about him. Without a word, she produced the Señor Coconut album from behind the counter, scribbled a note on the sleeve and told me to pass it on to him (it was one of many things put into his coffin by friends and family). It was an incredibly touching thing to do, and I’ve never forgotten it.
The weekly mail-out involved a review or blurb, usually written by Dave, for every release. It served as a guide for fans, and validation for many local bands, who often used Road’s verdict alongside quotes by music journalists on their promo bumf. Collins and Kennedy were unflinching in their support for Irish bands trying to get their music heard, from pushing it word of mouth in the shop to stocking EPs – even if there were only a handful pressed.
For five years, they ran the Road Relish label, which released split seven-inch singles featuring Irish acts they liked, including The Redneck Manifesto, Decal and The Jimmy Cake. Road, like any music shop, sold gig tickets, but Collins and Kennedy always refused guestlist offers from local bands, preferring to pay in and show their support.
Road’s closure will leave a gaping hole and it will be harder for small bands to find a guaranteed retail outlet for their music. Collins and Kennedy’s huge appreciation of music and their passion for introducing people to new bands is unparalleled.
The debt of gratitude owed them by countless bands is huge. Just read the sleeve notes of most independent Irish albums released in the last decade and you’ll find a thank you to “Dave and Julie at Road”.
Such is the regard the shop is held in, many Dublin bands are not collecting money from Road for albums currently held in stock. An upcoming all-day tribute event will feature a mini record fair and performances by several acts with proceeds going to the couple.
As the Fade Street doors prepare to close, there is tentative talk of an online venture. It’s unclear what the future holds, but it will involve spending time with their six-week old son, Paddy, who has no idea what an amazing record collection awaits him when he’s older, or the impact his folks had on Irish music.
  • Road Records, Fade Street, Dublin 2, www.roadrecs.com. The Road Records fundraiser will take place in March at Vicar Street, Dublin
End of the Road: reader reactions

On our On The Record Blog this week, Ticket journalist and blogger Jim Carroll asked:

“Why cant Dublin, with its supposedly healthy band scene, support a shop like Road? Weve done the ‘oh, thats terrible news’ last week (and dont get me wrong, it is terrible), but bands are unlikely to stop making music and trying to flog a CD because Road is no longer open. Are there any solutions out there? Or is the end of the music retailing sector really nigh?” Here is a selection of replies.

Why is Road closing? Well apart from all the reasons outlined already by the owners, not enough people went in and bought records from the place. If all the people mourning the loss of Road (myself included) spent more time in the shop, it would have survived. The end. - Unarocks

I dont know if we have that large a music-loving population. Even with the obsessives I know, very few of them are regularly buying music. - Void

When one door closes, another opens. Horror Business, Crow Street, stocks Irish independent releases – mostly punk – but owner said any band looking for somewhere to sell their wares should talk to him. - Liam

I buy tonnes of CDs and I tried very hard to support Road. But I am an impatient buyer. As a small outfit, Dave and Julie couldn’t afford to keep large stocks and they didnt have total control in when they could get something back in, so I went elsewhere on a regular basis, frequently online. - Ally

A key point is age. There wasn’t a buzzword of cool around Road that would attract youngsters whod want to go in and hang around on a weekend afternoon. Instead you see them in Tower or HMV. - Naomi

A few of the problems facing music retailers are as follows:

1. Albums reviewed weeks/months in advance of release. A good review way in advance will drive punters online. A review near date of release will drive them into shops.

2. No journalist will have a pop at the suppliers for fear of losing guestlists, free albums etc. Easier to criticise retailers, whose sales dip because of this.

3. Blogs (this one?) drive traffic online. Not one person mentioned Road here last month when commenting on prices etc. A shame. - Peter

trollmanjpghd6.jpg

By the way we should all start going to more Ballrooms and other cool gigs in expiation of our neglect of Road and to show that we've learned our lesson about taking great things for granted.

By the way we should all start going to more Ballrooms and other cool gigs in expiation of our neglect of Road and to show that we've learned our lesson about taking great things for granted.

I agree. There's a super one on tonight.
Everyone needs to metaphorically flagellate themselves by listening to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back