What think ye of the supernatural? (1 Viewer)

helena said:
If ghost encounters were something that could be validated or proven, it would have been done by now. It hasn't because it can't be done - that's the nature of ghost stories, and that's what makes them spooky.

This thread makes me nostalgic for the X Files.

Would you concede the possibility that they can't be proven either way because they do not exist?
Y'know, like God?
My favourite fictional character.

Wilbert said:
Would you concede the possibility that they can't be proven either way because they do not exist?
Y'know, like God?

shhh you'll make god angry!! god murders when he's angry.

When people first started seeing UFO's in a big way, during the 50's, the UFO's they started to see were very much in keeping with the UFO's you saw in old sci-fi movies. You know, your typical metallic flying saucer job. Then as we went on to the 70's and 80's the reports were of a more Close-Encountersy kind of UFO.

I think peoples descriptions of ghosts have become more....... cinematic as the years go by.

We've gone from the basic floating bedsheet type to the Japanese freaky kid type.

Just a thought. There's a thesis waiting to be done here, people!

Wilbert said:
Y'know, like God?

if someone believes in something so much, and with so much certainty, that they dont believe in it anymore, they KNOW it to be true. then it is a truth and a reality for them.
now, if a very large group of people do that, they are investing a massive amount of energy into an entity they have created.
all gods of all religions ever thus existed, or do exist, in some way. the fact that this process occurs does not remove any validity from the power of these entities.
divinities are effectively aspects of peoples psychology and personalities pushed outward and given immense power. this is most obvious in polytheistic religions, such as hinduism, but is also apparent in christianity, which is in reality basically ancient egyptian divinities wrapped up in the cloak of dogma and works as a cult of masochism. to be very simplistic about it: christ = humanity, selflessness, suffering; jehovah = wrath, dominance, power; satan = lust, freedom, excess; lucifer = hubris, self-improvement; mary = nurture, the woman in submissive role (determined by patriarchy, also: the expulsion of lilith to be replaced by eve).
or at least, thats what i think on some days.

Wilbert said:
When people first started seeing UFO's in a big way, during the 50's, the UFO's they started to see were very much in keeping with the UFO's you saw in old sci-fi movies. You know, your typical metallic flying saucer job. Then as we went on to the 70's and 80's the reports were of a more Close-Encountersy kind of UFO.

see also the collaborations between Jack Parsons and L Ron Hubbard.

Wilbert said:
Y'know, like God?

Oh absolutely. I don't believe in the supernatural at all myself, but I find people who do/related stories interesting. (Hence how I managed to sustain my interest through a theology degree =))

I just think the argument 'The don't exist because you can't prove they do' as flawed as 'They do exist because you can't prove they don't'. If that makes sense.

helena said:
Oh absolutely. I don't believe in the supernatural at all myself, but I find people who do/related stories interesting. (Hence how I managed to sustain my interest through a theology degree =))

I just think the argument 'The don't exist because you can't prove they do' as flawed as 'They do exist because you can't prove they don't'. If that makes sense.

I agree, it's just that you have to disregard so many things to believe in this stuff.

.But take into account you do not use your brain to its full capacity.Some people use ceratin parts of their brain that makes them better at maths than the next individual.So therefore some people may have more highly developed part of the brain than others which allows them to see things other people cant.The dimension theory comes into it again.

But think of this.Most humans cant hear frequencies below 18Hrz.So if a frequency is given out at 15hrz and we cant hear it,does that mean it doesnt exist?
Wilbert said:
Of course they could have imagined it.

It's amazing how many people relay a "ghost" story that didn't happen to them but to someone they know. If someone claims to have seen such a thing, the most likely explanation is that the person is mentally ill, the next most likely is that they are lying, the next most likely is that they were hallucinating, the next most likely is that they were on some mind-altering chemicals, and way, way, way down the list is the possibility that "ghosts" exist.

That story about the girl in the car seeing the old man in the back seat is interesting. If she sees something that nobody else can see then it is in her head. If it is real and she can see it, then anyone can see it. It's just basic science, people!

Why do people always rush past all of the more boring explanations for these things to get to the supernatural one? I know some people who claim to have seen such things but they are the kind of people who have grown up with a steady diet of ghost stories and a strong religious influence. It's amazing how ghosts don't bother with atheists.

Brian Conniffe said:
if someone believes in something so much, and with so much certainty, that they dont believe in it anymore, they KNOW it to be true. then it is a truth and a reality for them.
now, if a very large group of people do that, they are investing a massive amount of energy into an entity they have created.
all gods of all religions ever thus existed, or do exist, in some way. the fact that this process occurs does not remove any validity from the power of these entities.

no post-modern ghosts!

brian/heathons said:
But think of this.Most humans cant hear frequencies below 18Hrz.So if a frequency is given out at 15hrz and we cant hear it,does that mean it doesnt exist?

Lisa: If a tree falls in the woods and nobodys there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Bart: Yup, aaaakkkkkeeeerrrrrrrunch

snakybus said:
I likes a good ghost story I do.

Don't mind that "Wilbert" cynic. I mean, he's got a picture of a science-fiction cartoon character for his picture. Think about it.

Now, tell more ghost stories.

You!!
My Avatar is real. More real than ghosts or god. I have a picture of him. Do any of you have a picture of God or a ghost?

Didn't think so!

god.jpg

Eoddy Gorilla said:
On the subject; anyone ever watch Most Haunted? Used to watch it cos the main fella, Derek, is fuckin' hilarious. It's pretty addictive and very entertaining.

yes. its one of my TV obsessions.

with regard to weird things happening to me:
a lamp falling over beside me in a room with no draught and no one bashed it...
having my name called in the office toilet at and hearing the toilet being flushed, even though i was the only one there. we got 2 buddhist monks in...some chick had killed herself in the toilets.

can't think of any more...

Wilbert said:
You!!
My Avatar is real. More real than ghosts or god. I have a picture of him. Do any of you have a picture of God or a ghost?

Didn't think so!

Yes. Your "Avatar" is real. Why not go the whole hog and call it an "icon". Then worship it. Wooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrshiiiiiiiiiiiip iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back