What think ye of the supernatural? (1 Viewer)

My brother lives in this picturesque little town in western Massachusetts. In the 19th century, a local industrialist built a paper mill and dammed up the river with some really cheap materials. In 1874, the dam broke and the whole town was flooded. Most of the inhabitants were killed, but some got the warning in time and escaped. There's so much freaky shit in that town....He used to live in the house where the guy who gave the warning had lived. Every morning, everyone in the house would wake up at the same time that the flood waters broke. The dogs would go nuts for a minute, and then it would all settle down.

Stuff went missing (one time, they woke up to find every last ashtray had disappeared overnight), contents of their presses and closets were rearranged in the middle of the night, crazy shit.

My ex-sister in law used to look after a baby who lived a few doors down, in the former home of the mill owner. Isabella, the babba, could see people in the house, could see an old man and a young woman, who would just stand and look at her. When she first started to talk, she'd talk to them, but eventually, she got old enough to realise that no one else could see these people, and it was so creepy and disturbing for her that the family actually had to move.

There are houses in the town that are fucking beautiful old colonial homes, and no one will buy them. When people visit, they just get a 'bad feeling' and decide they can't get out fast enough.

The cemeteries in the town are bigger than the town itself, which is even creepier.

I didn't know the story until one morning, when I went for a run. I went into the old cemetery to check it out. I love old graveyards, and the colonial American ones can be really interesting. I noticed that no graves were there that post-dated 1874, but there was still a fair amount of empty space. Plus, I got a creepy feeling, like I was not in there alone, something that almost never happens to me in graveyards. When I got back, my sis-in-law told me about it.

My brother apparently had some insane experiences in the house we lived in when we were teenagers (the 'Poe' house). Furniture flying across the room, etc. He won't talk about some of it, though.

My parents current house is also kind of odd. It's only about 90 years old, but I often get the feeling that there's someone else there. My dad rang me up one day a few years ago and asked what I was doing at a particular time the previous day. He said he heard me come in the front door of their house, close the door, put down some bags, and say, "Hello! I'm here!". The dogs even went nuts the way they do when I arrive. He got all excited, too, thinking I'd somehow managed to surprise them, but when he went to see, there was no one there. I was already living in Ireland at the time, by the way.

Another time, my brother and I were staying in this same house, and the folks were away for the night. We heard crying coming from....shit. can't tell story. Too fucking scary. Dog go nuts. Can't find source. Find secret room behind loose wall panel in basement. Eek.

Wow im really surprised at the ammount of experiences people have had.
I didnt people would take this thread too seriously but its cool that they did.
Just goes to show you this many people cant have imagined these things.:eek:

My sister and I were about 5 and were going to sleep in our bedroom. We had a tricycle in the room. I have no idea how this happened but the handles of the tricycle turned around 180 degrees by itself, as though someone was on the bike and turning it to the left. We both remember this - it really scared us.
Had I seen this on my own I'd put it down to my imagination but my sister swears blind it happened too.

Here are some links to the flood. Hm, I think I got it wrong about the house he used to live in. Doesn't fit the description of the herald's location. But it was right on the river. Anyway, Haydenville is the old name of the town; they changed it after the flood. It was the first dam disaster in the US, and, at the time, the worst industrial disaster in US history. There was also another town in the area, called Skinnersville (after the mill owner), which was washed away completely:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctchartf/G-cheney.htm

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~gtusa/usa/ma.htm

I can't find much on the whole-town-hauntedness, but it's pretty nuts.

seen two ghosts

once when i was young got up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night and looked in the mirror on the way and there was someone else looking back at me. scary.

second i was on a school exchange in germany when i was about 16 and was staying in a room with a balcony at the side. something came in the door from the hall and walked out onto the balcony. must've been a "good" ghost or something because it didnt freak me out at all and i just went back to sleep.

is what i wrote in this thread....
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=16914&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ghost

brian/heathons said:
Wow im really surprised at the ammount of experiences people have had.
I didnt people would take this thread too seriously but its cool that they did.
Just goes to show you this many people cant have imagined these things.:eek:

Of course they could have imagined it.

It's amazing how many people relay a "ghost" story that didn't happen to them but to someone they know. If someone claims to have seen such a thing, the most likely explanation is that the person is mentally ill, the next most likely is that they are lying, the next most likely is that they were hallucinating, the next most likely is that they were on some mind-altering chemicals, and way, way, way down the list is the possibility that "ghosts" exist.

That story about the girl in the car seeing the old man in the back seat is interesting. If she sees something that nobody else can see then it is in her head. If it is real and she can see it, then anyone can see it. It's just basic science, people!

Why do people always rush past all of the more boring explanations for these things to get to the supernatural one? I know some people who claim to have seen such things but they are the kind of people who have grown up with a steady diet of ghost stories and a strong religious influence. It's amazing how ghosts don't bother with atheists.

Wilbert said:
It's amazing how many people relay a "ghost" story that didn't happen to them but to someone they know. If someone claims to have seen such a thing, the most likely explanation is that the person is mentally ill, the next most likely is that they are lying, the next most likely is that they were hallucinating, the next most likely is that they were on some mind-altering chemicals, and way, way, way down the list is the possibility that "ghosts" exist.

Thanks for that. So you reckon that:
a) I'm mentally ill
b) I'm a liar
c) I take a lot of drugs

Wilbert said:
the most likely explanation is that the person is mentally ill, the next most likely is that they are lying, the next most likely is that they were hallucinating, the next most likely is that they were on some mind-altering chemicals, and way, way, way down the list is the possibility that "ghosts" exist.

I think your chain of likelyhood is a little extreme,the most likely explanation imo is that they were half asleep.

Wilbert said:
It's amazing how ghosts don't bother with atheists.

ah, i am more amazed by the number of atheistic and totally skeptical people i know who have had experiences with ghosts/spirits and so forth.

and they (and i) werent on drugs or mentally ill.

Brian Conniffe said:
ah, i am more amazed by the number of atheistic and totally skeptical people i know who have had experiences with ghosts/spirits and so forth.

and they (and i) werent on drugs or mentally ill.

I'm not attributing any of the reasons I listed to anyone here necessarily. I just think that these would be be the items on a checklist if you were trying to validate any claims regarding a ghost encounter.

Half asleep is probably the best explanation of any of these stories but if you were half asleep when it happened, and knew you were half-asleep but still insisted that this was real, then you have to ask yourself why you still believe it when you have an explanation.

Oh, and Billy, you clearly are mentally ill! Ghost story or not!

Wilbert said:
I'm not attributing any of the reasons I listed to anyone here necessarily. I just think that these would be be the items on a checklist if you were trying to validate any claims regarding a ghost encounter.

aye, i know. dont worry i am not offended! :)
i would have the same sort of checklist when people tell me about these things. but that said, experiences during dreams or hallucinations are real for the person experiencing them, thus they are reality... for them. but not necessarily for others. in shamanic cultures and traditions, those people who see entities that are not visible to others would be treated as visionaries, and not nutters. in those societies, the instances of damaging mental "illnesses" were virtually non-existant, since instead of being shunted of to a looney bin (or burned at the stake!), individuals experiencing regular commuication with beings not apparent in the realities of the majority were treated with respect.

Half asleep is probably the best explanation of any of these stories but if you were half asleep when it happened, and knew you were half-asleep but still insisted that this was real, then you have to ask yourself why you still believe it when you have an explanation.

yes, but in the case myself and my lady friend when we were living in the supposedly haunted house, the explanation that we were experiencing the same shared dream in exactly the same way on more than one occassion doesnt convince me at all.

you know, there are rituals that exist for invoking spirits/angels/demons of many kinds, rituals to possess oneself. and the fact is, they work. i know this from both academic research and personal experience. whether or not these are just methods of opening up some part of the psychology that isnt used normally, or if they are beings that actually do exist external to ourselves and this "reality", doesnt matter. all that matters, they do work. we are in a cultural climate that generally has no belief for these things, but by doing certain things, certain results occur. and there can be no disputing it.

Wilbert said:
If she sees something that nobody else can see then it is in her head. If it is real and she can see it, then anyone can see it. It's just basic science, people!

Id say you could pretty easily disprove that little shard of 'basic science'

now im no scienologist, but theres a whole range of stuff that humans generally cant see, such as ultra violet light etc. Whos to say that there isnt something else that maybe some people have a greater disposition to sense than others? I mean quality of sight varies from person to person, so why not this? Im not saying thats the case, but you have to keep an open mind on these things yeah?

At the same time, you do have a point that just cos all these people claim to have seen something doesnt prove the existence of the supernatural.

ps. spook out of the thread award still goes to mr conniffe, anyone got a story to top that??

It is an interesting subject. A few years ago I lived in a house with some friends and a few odd things happened. I remember being in the living room once and I saw the living room door open from the corner of my eye and I heard a footstep come into the living room. I jumped and of course there was no-one there, but it felt very real. A friend of mine who was living there too, thought she saw someone going from one room to another. She saw this through a tiny crack of her open bedroom door. Another time I threw a piece of paper in the fire place (which had not been lit for over a week) and it burst into flames! It was a weird week. I don't think it was ghosties but it was weird.

I wrote "get out!" on the bathroom mirror with my finger so you could only read it when the mirror steamed up. My friend came down from her shower and was as white as, well a ghost quite frankly, and said "tell me you wrote that on the mirror!" I played along for a while until I burst out laughing. I pointed out that a ghost probably wouldn't bother with the exclamation point.

Wilbert said:

If ghost encounters were something that could be validated or proven, it would have been done by now. It hasn't because it can't be done - that's the nature of ghost stories, and that's what makes them spooky.

This thread makes me nostalgic for the X Files.

ghost3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back