What did you make last night? (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 135
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 7
Back to basics last night:

Baby potatoes with steamed Broccoli, carrots & parsnips. One bad ass fillet of cod which i rubbed down with some lemon juice, paprika, tarragon & black pepper, then grilled.

Mighty dinner.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffsssssssssssss

stir-fried beef with cumin, chilli, garlic, and ginger; choi sum with water chestnuts; steamed aubergine with black beans; rice.

my theme for january appears to be "eating".

Aww that kicks the bejaysus out of the one I got for ya. Must try harder!

I made Chickpea and Chorizo Stew last night. Dead cheap and very warming on a nasty evening.

1 chorizo sausage (I only used half of it)
1 tin of boiled chickpeas
1 medium sized onion
2 small potatoes, cubed
1 tin of plum tomatos
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of paprika
mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
tomato puree
lemon juice
freshly chopped parsley to garnish

Sauté the chopped onion and garlic with salt and pepper and a pinch of mustard seeds until the onion is translucent. Whilst doing this steam your cubes of potato. Cut your chorizo into coins and add them to the pan. Cook on a low heat until they start to brown. Blend your tomatoes and pour over the contents of the pan. Add some puree, a splash of lemon juice and the paprika and chili powder and simmer for about 5 mins.

Rinse your chickpeas in a colander. When the potatoes begin to soften, add them and the chickpeas to the mix. Add some water if the consistency has gotten too thick. Leave to simmer for another 15-20 mins.

Serve and garnish with parsley.

This is a fairly hearty dish by itself, but if you need more or want to serve a few people it works well with rice or soft bread.

My gf make this with cauldron tofu sausages. YUM

My gf make this with cauldron tofu sausages. YUM

They're great they are as are these ones my ma got over the Christmas:

418420b.jpg

Moussaka. Spent feckin' ages making it too. The recipe I had was a little thin on the meat sauce contents, and way too heavy on the eggs in the beshamel sauce (6!). I only used two. It was still dead nice though. Maybe needed more aubergines. Looking forward to round two tonight. Mmmm....

everything about bechamel sauce makes me feel ill. the name. the colour. the taste. yurgh.

we had roasty beef and veg.

chakchouka - sort of spicy vegetable stew (tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, cumin, coriander, chilli, olives) with eggs poached in it. good stuff.

That sounds good. Quantities? Recipe?

it was sort of half-made-up from about three different recipes plus a version i ate in morocco, but here's what i did, afair:

(for two people)
* chop one big or two small onions and fry in olive oil in a heavy pan (i used a small le creuset casserole) for about five minutes until soft
* add in a couple of crushed garlic cloves, a couple of red or yellow peppers sliced into strips, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (or some tabasco, or fresh chilli, or nothing if you don't want spiciness). saute for another five minutes or so until the peppers start to soften.
* chuck in either a couple of tomatoes per person, diced, plus 1/2 cup water, or a tin of tomatoes. add salt and pepper to taste. you can also add olives at this point. or sliced roasted red peppers from a jar. or, er, anything else you fancy. simmer until everything is hot.
* take pan off the heat and make four little "wells" in the vegetables (this doesn't have to be very precise). break an egg into each well.
* cover and return to a low heat for a few minutes until the egg whites have set.
* serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander. eat with bread.

it was sort of half-made-up from about three different recipes plus a version i ate in morocco, but here's what i did, afair:

(for two people)
* chop one big or two small onions and fry in olive oil in a heavy pan (i used a small le creuset casserole) for about five minutes until soft
* add in a couple of crushed garlic cloves, a couple of red or yellow peppers sliced into strips, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (or some tabasco, or fresh chilli, or nothing if you don't want spiciness). saute for another five minutes or so until the peppers start to soften.
* chuck in either a couple of tomatoes per person, diced, plus 1/2 cup water, or a tin of tomatoes. add salt and pepper to taste. you can also add olives at this point. or sliced roasted red peppers from a jar. or, er, anything else you fancy. simmer until everything is hot.
* take pan off the heat and make four little "wells" in the vegetables (this doesn't have to be very precise). break an egg into each well.
* cover and return to a low heat for a few minutes until the egg whites have set.
* serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander. eat with bread.

Thanks - will have to try that very soon.

I felt i must revive this thread cos i was chuffed with my dinner last night and i think im only deadly now.

I made a Butternut Squash & Spinach, Tomatoe-y curry yoke

One Butter Squash cubed
Bag o spinach
Tin of tomatoes
3 tomatoes (quartered)
veg stock
Garam Masala (1tsp)
2 onions
2 Garlic cloves, chopped.
Cardamon pods (6, crushed)
Coriander powder (1tsp)
Black mustard seeds (1tsp)
Curry leaves (5)

Fry your mustard seeds in a generous amount of olive oil in the pot. Once they start popping like good things (hehehehe pop pop!) then add your onion, garlic, coriander and cardamon. Fry that shit for 2 minutes or so. Add your pieces of butternut squash and tin of tomatoes. Cook for a further 5-8 mins. Then add your cup of veg stock, curry leaves and garam masala. Let that shit cook on a low heat for half hour until the butternut squash is nice n tender. Finally, add your spinach and quartered tomatoes. Stir in until the spinach is wilted. Serve, in the nude, with brown rice.

Oh yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back