What did you make last night? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 135
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 7

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
After a very, very silly attempt to go into town yesterday, we returned home with defeated spirits, a fierce hunger, a lack of will to leave the house, and a continuing need to use up food in the fridge.

So I made a nice salad of rocket, basil and baby spinach with vine tomatoes and just a bit of olive oil and sea salt (I gave up on vinegar).

Then I did up some roasted baby new potatoes and roasted some broccoli with whole garlic cloves and topped them with this sauce that I think is one of the nicest things I've ever made. I'm not sure of the quantities I used, I'm only estimating, but holy crikey, was it good:

Gorgonzola Cream Sauce:

2 large French shallots
2-3 cloves of garlic
4 oz gorgonzola
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp double cream
1 heaping Tbsp cornflour
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Nutmeg
Small handful of chopped walnuts (I just crush them in the bag)

Fry the shallots in the olive oil for a few minutes, then, when they're mostly cooked, add the garlic and continue frying. Add the milk, bring to the boil, then turn down the temperature and stir in the cream. Then slowly stir in the cornflour (it'll lump if you just toss it in), then stir in the gorgonzola. Once it's melted and all mixed up, add some freshly ground pepper and some nutmeg (preferably freshly ground), then some sea salt if you want it (gorgonzola is already pretty salty, so you may not need it). Simmer, stirring frequently (make sure you don't burn it), until thickened. Serve over whatever you like, then top with some walnuts.

YUM. Perfect for a winter evening. I'm gonna make it with monkfish next time, and maybe roasted sweet potatoes instead of new potatoes.

Deafdude if you're vegan and you can't cook you should get a copy of this
3971_bookpage.jpg

Really deadly and easy to follow recipes with stupidly obscure metal references and awesome drawings. I've seen someone who's mega kitchen shy make the awesomest meal using only that book.

we had a tapas night last night. i'm not posting up all the recipes, but we made:

marinated cheddar in chili and lime (should have been manchego but we couldn't get it)
grilled tofu (thanks dunchee)
ham & melon nibbly things
tofu cutlet and sundried tomato nibbly things
anchovies and olives and cheese (gubbeen and oisin) on sticks
toasted almonds
pan con tomate
fried green beans
omelettes with things in them
chicken with garlic, wine, brandy and parsley
mussels with tomato and beans
scallops with lime juice, orange juice, ginger and brandy
crackers and dips
dolmades
cheese straws

we spent the entire day cooking and listening to le tigre and blondie.

"we" had soup. lentils, carrot, broccoli boiled with veggie stock and then blendered. ate with brown bread and butter. it was pretty spectacular.

The Royal 'we'? So lonely. *sniff*

The royal we made spinach, red onion, garlic, nutmeg and pasta crap last night and polished it off tonight. Salvaging the reminants of the cupboard/freezer in times of poverty and not going to the shops in times of study pressure. Necessity is the mother of average dinners.

Myself and Dunchee went to Meridina(?) on Mary St last night, Indian place, good food, awful service but for the price we weren't complaining. I had chips on the boat followed by cheese on toast this evening.

awful service

ha ha yeah, got me aloo sagg and had the waitress coming down to me a few minutes later saying "do you not want rice or something with that". my naan came about twenty minutes after that. had to order it three times in all :rolleyes: lovely food though and damn cheap.

I get to do very little cooking these days since I started the day job. egg_ jr, like her ma, gets very cranky on an empty stomach and her dinnertime is half five. I rarely get home before 6

We bought one of these in the january sales. I hope I get to use it:

e-line-100.jpg

I get to do very little cooking these days since I started the day job. egg_ jr, like her ma, gets very cranky on an empty stomach and her dinnertime is half five. I rarely get home before 6

e-line-100.jpg

Nice.

e-line-100.jpg

ooh. *covets*

we made soup with celery, leeks, peas, and chickpeas, seasoned with lemon juice, garlic and mint. had it in bowls over rice. nyum, and used up lots of random vegetables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back