What did you make last night? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 135
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 7
Bought a jar of this stuff the other day.
Made a nice chineese broth effort with Bak Choi and mushrooms and a packet of Udon noodles.
DSC00313.jpg

Aubergine all-lemony

Salted discs of said veg, put in sieve, weigh down with bowl+tins of heavy stuff.
15mins later, rinse and dried them as much as shaking them in sieve for a minute does.
Into heated olive oil, need quite a bit of oil +lemon juice and some lemon rind+pepper, lid on for 13 minutes.
Top with some grated white cheddar+into oven or grill for bubbly melted effect.
Never will I cook Aubergine without lemon again, it was so yum.

The Flamingo Bake

Aubergine all-lemony

Aubergines are fuckin rides.

Man, we just made the weirdest/nicest dinner I've had in ages.
I was on the phone to me mate from work and she was all 'what do you want for dinner' and I'd been thinking about tofu so I sez 'tofu'. She had been thinking about polenta. How would we reconcile this shit?

We ended up combining our dinner ideas and made a bake that consisted of a layer of polenta, topped by a layer of spinach (wiv garlic and mushrooms), topped again by a layer of fried tofu and finished off with a sweet tomato sauce and nutty breadcrumb topping.

It was lacking in a kick (I was thinking more lemon juice or black pepper somewhere along the line), and the polenta was a little too thick when you take into account the fact that there was tofu in the dish, but boy, it sure was nice.

We called it 'The Flamingo Bake', after our house in which it was invented.

Last night there was a chicken cooked, mainly for the purpose of making stock for the stew which should be nicely cooked by the time I arrive home.

You think youre so deadly, dont ya. DONT YA!

ill show you.

The other night, i - with a little help from some lanky cunt that posts here - made spiced coconut potatoes on a bed of rocket with some cous cous and baked veg (chopped aubergine, courgette, red onion n garlic). we had some ballymaloe relish on the side. it was a fuckin great dinner.

Last night i mad a simple lentil curried stew. Very spicey tho cos i added some turkish red pepper spice shit. More tonight with some wholemeal pitta.

I love food.

The other night, i - with a little help from some lanky cunt that posts here - made spiced coconut potatoes on a bed of rocket with some cous cous and baked veg (chopped aubergine, courgette, red onion n garlic). we had some ballymaloe relish on the side. it was a fuckin great dinner.

any chance of a recipe for the potatoes? that sounds amazing.

instant soup and breakfast cereal both currently qualify as a meal for me, so i'll back out of the thread quietly until next week...

You think youre so deadly, dont ya. DONT YA!

ill show you.

Last night i mad a simple lentil curried stew. Very spicey tho cos i added some turkish red pepper spice shit. More tonight with some wholemeal pitta.

I love food.

Can you bake these potatoes in coconut shells? Cococuts are great.

I'm thinking a saw to cut the coconut cleanly would be needed, and some way of sealing inside for boiling. I'd be afeared the thing would crack open in the oven.

Re: The Flamingo Bake

Aubergines are fuckin rides.

This is true, dirty shiny rides..'(?)

Man, we just made the weirdest/nicest dinner I've had in ages.
I was on the phone to me mate from work and she was all 'what do you want for dinner' and I'd been thinking about tofu so I sez 'tofu'. She had been thinking about polenta. How would we reconcile this shit?

We called it 'The Flamingo Bake', after our house in which it was invented.

Question: Do you live in a pink place?
Naming your dish is v.important. I can't partake in a soup, 'til I know what it's culinary moniker is. Murky mushroom murder was good one time. I'm really hungover, would happily drink nameless soup today though, if I didn't have to cook.

Re: The Flamingo Bake

Question: Do you live in a pink place?
Naming your dish is v.important.

How astute!

No, it's not a pink house, but we used to have a flourescent pink flamingo lamp in the living room and so our gaff is now known as The Pink Flamingo.

HMD- amazing. If I were ever to eat a fish, it'd be swordfish, after I stabbed someone with it.

Tonight: Steak and Kidney pudding... so yum!

Pastry
8 oz self-raising flour (I used wholemeal)
4 oz suet (I used vegetable suet)
1/2 teaspoon salt
about 8 tbsp water

Filling
1lb stewing steak cut into 1 inch cubes and rolled in seasoned flour
4 oz ox kidney
1 onion, chopped.

So easy. mix the dry ingredients for the pastry and then add the water to make a smooth, soft dough.

Roll out 2 circles, one big one and one the size of the top of the pudding bowl.

Butter the bowl, press the big pastry circle in, layer the steak, kidney and onions, add water to just below the top of the filling, moisten the pastry edge, put the lid on and then press around it to seal.

Then put a lid of greaseproof paper (pleated) and a lid of foil (also pleated) on top, put in a deep saucepan, add boiling water and steam with the lid on for 4 1/2 hours (adding more boiling water when necessary).

And the results are sooo worth it. Yummy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back