Wedding Thread (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 164
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 7
Serious venue question: Any tips for a venue in Dublin City Centre?

I want to have somewhere that will let use feed people great food and have iPod DJ type muzak afterwards. Even better if we can invite more people to 'afters'. Don't really care if it's a restuarant or a hotel or whatever as long as it meets those first two criteria and will not bankrupt us.

Wobbz - did you get the Law Library that time? What's the food prices like?

People who recommended the Odeon - what were receptions there like? The woman on the phone said they can't do a sit down meal.

The Schoolhouse Hotel seems grand but you can't have amplified music.

Called Fallon & Byrne, waiting for them to get back to me. Fiancé's (AHAHAHAHA!) ex job had their work Xmas do there and said it was grand.

I live in a different country so can't be arsed organising marquees in country houses with handmade organic storm lanterns and individually knitted wedding favours from here. I think that just as people can delude themselves that a big expensive fairytale wedding will make them happy, people can also delude themselves that a bespoke wedding where they organise every minute detail to be completely 'them' will make them happy. (I refer you to the indiebride thread where users actually went to THERAPY for 'post-traumatic wedding disorder' because of their absurd expectations of blissful perfection). Each to their own I guess.

Anyway, venues in Dublin anyone?

At the one I crashed the car on the way to my cousin had had packs of Rolos done up with the outer wrapper removed and replaced with ones that had her name and the groom's on them.

I was having lunch at the Clarion Hotel Airport last week and had a look in the function room there to see the wedding set up, and they had done this as well. Sorry. I don't know why I'm giving you this level of detail. I had the chicken. It was ok. All this wedding talk has made me crazy. Lunch!

Ah, no. I tried looking at those websites but they make me want to eat my own eyeballs.

Coraline has been so kind as to point me to a few useful threads, though, as well as one car crash one, which has saved me the pain of eating my own eyeballs.

Hello :)
Great thread.

I'm getting married exactly two months from today :eek::eek:
I was stuck in traffic last night listening to a cd of wedding music, bouncing along to Mendelsohn's wedding march and Widor's Toccata at top volume, I'm sure people thought I was a bit strange.....
What kind of church music are you having?

My condensed thoughts on the whole thread :

Jane, your dress and veil are totally amazing.

We aren't having favours, trying like you to spend as little as possible so they are one thing thats expendable I think.As are chair covers, have you ever heard of a more ridiculous scam? 12 euro per chair to cover a perfectly nice chair with fabric? No thanks, thats 600 euro I'd rather put towards food/drink...

As for drink we are having a drinks reception after the ceremony, wine with the meal, sparkly toast, and then people are on their own :)

More thoughts to come.

I was having lunch at the Clarion Hotel Airport last week and had a look in the function room there to see the wedding set up, and they had done this as well. Sorry. I don't know why I'm giving you this level of detail. I had the chicken. It was ok. All this wedding talk has made me crazy. Lunch!

They didn't make the Rolos taste any nicer. Not that I was complaining.

I want to have somewhere that will let use feed people great food and have iPod DJ type muzak afterwards. Even better if we can invite more people to 'afters'. Don't really care if it's a restuarant or a hotel or whatever as long as it meets those first two criteria and will not bankrupt us.

People who recommended the Odeon - what were receptions there like? The woman on the phone said they can't do a sit down meal.

Called Fallon & Byrne, waiting for them to get back to me. Fiancé's (AHAHAHAHA!) ex job had their work Xmas do there and said it was grand.

I live in a different country so can't be arsed organising marquees in country houses with handmade organic storm lanterns and individually knitted wedding favours from here. I think that just as people can delude themselves that a big expensive fairytale wedding will make them happy, people can also delude themselves that a bespoke wedding where they organise every minute detail to be completely 'them' will make them happy. (I refer you to the indiebride thread where users actually went to THERAPY for 'post-traumatic wedding disorder' because of their absurd expectations of blissful perfection). Each to their own I guess.

Helena, we are having our reception in the Merrion.
Amazing food, lovely rooms and you should be able to do the ipod thing, thats what we are doing in the afternoon during the drinks reception, and having a jazz trio after the meal.
Depends on how many guests you are having though, I think the maximum is 50 there...

We're having the whole shabang at La Floridita, which used to be the Irish Life Mall. Our requirements are pretty much the same as yours. We wanted a small sit-down meal for family and people who swam across the ocean, but we wanted to place equal importance on the reception bit later on.

The place is lovely, and it's big enough to hold a lot of people. It has a dance floor, and they fly in bands from Cuba to do six-week residences, so we're gonna have a bit of Cuban music as well (you don't have to have them). We can have amplified music, it stays open late, etc. Also, there's a great heated outdoor smoking lounge, and there's a kind of mezzanine level with comfy couches for tired souls to plonk on. It's absolutely beautiful as well. PLUS, for the evening, we can have munchie food to line revellers' stomachs, and it's not crazy expensive.

So far the place has been really good to us. It's not as cheap as some other places, but I think the tradeoff is that since most of our guests are from Dublin, most people don't have to go very far. I'd rather we pay a bit extra than they do. And at La Floridita, the good thing is, we just pay for the stuff we want, and they're not throwing all kinds of added costs at us. So you can have it however you like. They're really very flexible.

The Harbourmaster is also a good spot, and the only reasons we didn't choose it is because it doesn't have a cocktail bar, and the toilets are all the way down in the basement, shared with the main bar and restaurant, and are a wee bit smelly. Other than that it's great. I was at a wedding party there a few months ago, and it was really good fun.

I'll see if I can think of anywhere else. When are you thinking of doing it?

individually knitted wedding favours

Careful what you wish for; the Sociable Knitters might be listening. I don't know what a wedding favour looks like, but I'm pretty confident that I could draft a pattern for one. They'll each be a Unique, Handmade Treasure for your guests to take home and keep forever.

Hello :)
Great thread.

I'm getting married exactly two months from today :eek::eek:
I was stuck in traffic last night listening to a cd of wedding music, bouncing along to Mendelsohn's wedding march and Widor's Toccata at top volume, I'm sure people thought I was a bit strange.....
What kind of church music are you having?

My condensed thoughts on the whole thread :

Jane, your dress and veil are totally amazing.

We aren't having favours, trying like you to spend as little as possible so they are one thing thats expendable I think.As are chair covers, have you ever heard of a more ridiculous scam? 12 euro per chair to cover a perfectly nice chair with fabric? No thanks, thats 600 euro I'd rather put towards food/drink...

As for drink we are having a drinks reception after the ceremony, wine with the meal, sparkly toast, and then people are on their own :)

More thoughts to come.

We picked the music last night, in fact. We're having a bit of Bach, a medieval tune, an Irish wedding song (something like "I'd marry you without a field, without any money, even if we had to live in Cashel"), some Handel (obv), a carolan for exit, and a guy I know has asked if he can compose something especially for us, which is really amazing and lovely and we're really floored by such a thing.

And that chair covers thread was hilarious. The "WHAT COLOUR CRYSTALS SHOULD I PUT IN THE BOWLS OMG CALL IN THE UNITED FUCKING NATIONS" rubbish was fucking mental. I am looking forward to a time *after* the wedding when I can truly revel in that site, like rolling in my own sick. I don't think it would be wise to be in any way smug until I've been through it myself.

Careful what you wish for; the Sociable Knitters might be listening. I don't know what a wedding favour looks like, but I'm pretty confident that I could draft a pattern for one. They'll each be a Unique, Handmade Treasure for your guests to take home and keep forever.

Can you knit a womb in a wedding dress?

Can you knit a womb in a wedding dress?
i'm sure if you added some frillls to this it would all come out great!
wombBEAUTY.jpg

and we know herself can knit ANYTHING, with her eyes shut.

PS I didn't know you were engaged helena! congratulations!

The tradition of serving mead at a wedding to wish the guests well is the origin of the 'honey' in honeymoon.

My ex was part Scot so we did our research - it was traditional for the bride and groom to be given mead, which they drank every day of their first month of marriage, thus honeymoon.

Wowee, that's big congrats to Helena and John and big congrats to Mr Ninja! Nice one folks.

We should also acknowledge that Coraline and snap-apple may be the first thumpeders to marry EACH OTHER and Helena and John will be the second, which makes it a trend.

Am I right? Or am I missing something?

Are there more? At this rate, though, half of Thumped will be related to each other 20 years from now, once Pete takes early retirement and turns the daily operations over to the MiniPetes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back