Walking/Trails... what have you? (3 Viewers)

just back from walking from my gaff in phibsboro to leixlip along the royal canal. 15-ish kms, took just over 2 and a half hours.
good buzz walking from near the heart of the city right out into the countryside.

no hassle between here and ashtown as suggested earlier in the thread, i've done it a few times now and it seems totally fine. wouldn't do it after dark though. it's not the nicest though.. industrial areas through cabra and then new slightly ugly apartments beyond.

however, past ashtown it getsa really secluded. listen to some music and you won't notice the sound of the traffic from the navan road. going over the M50 is cool. just you & the canal on a bridge, with commuters below and above (on the exit/entrance ramps).

then the stretch after the M50, out by coolmine and clonsilla, is amazing; a narrow, muddy path with the canal a good 10ft below. lots of trees on both sides and practically deserted.

after that it gets quite rural with some farmland and a few lads out fishing, etc. a bit less interesting but still cool.

got a train back from leixlip to drumcondra. handy as fuck. definitely recommended.

Well, if you insist..

buffalo-ballet_pg.jpg
coppelia27.jpg

Took ma and da pants up to Glendalough and walked the path from the upper lake carpark to the old lead mine. They'ed been to Glendalough before, but never in their 65 years had they gone this way...

glendamine.jpg

that your pic?love it.im a big fan of all things industrial,was only up the ballycorus lead-mines last week,if you fancy a short walk just get the 44 bus to the scalp then climb up the left hand side of it and its a nice handy walk through the woods and up to the tower.if you carry on down the other side theres also pucks castle to check out nearby and if you head down towards the n11 at the silver tassie pub you should walk under the old tram way bridge which is very impressive in its own right.

Very nice photo indeed. I totally agree about Ballycorus Hill. I was there on Sunday. Love the spiral staircase around the outside of it - pity some of the steps are gone. I parked on Quarry Road and walked up through a load of forest. The mines themselves sound cool. Must go back and check out that other stuff.

I walked from Shankill Shopping Centre to Bray via the coast recently too. You can only do it when the tide is out. A bit underwhelming. It looks better looking south from Killiney. Shanganagh Park is nice though.

I am definitely going to take a week off and walk the Wicklow Way. It looks great. Has anyone done it?

The book 'Between The Mountains And The Sea' is good too. http://www.obrien.ie/book223.cfm

Jaysus I thought Croke park to Rathmines was adventurous until I read this thread. Also done Rathmines to Marley park. Will try that Killiney Hill route.

I'm taking a week off in May to walk the Wicklow Way, ala http://www.wicklowway.com/. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

I figure it's:

a) A Cheap Holiday;
b) Healthy/Active;
c) Scenic.

Maybe I should have used bullet points.

How long does it take? Do you camp along the way? This sounds awesome.

just back from walking from my gaff in phibsboro to leixlip along the royal canal. 15-ish kms, took just over 2 and a half hours.
good buzz walking from near the heart of the city right out into the countryside.

no hassle between here and ashtown as suggested earlier in the thread, i've done it a few times now and it seems totally fine. wouldn't do it after dark though. it's not the nicest though.. industrial areas through cabra and then new slightly ugly apartments beyond.

however, past ashtown it getsa really secluded. listen to some music and you won't notice the sound of the traffic from the navan road. going over the M50 is cool. just you & the canal on a bridge, with commuters below and above (on the exit/entrance ramps).

then the stretch after the M50, out by coolmine and clonsilla, is amazing; a narrow, muddy path with the canal a good 10ft below. lots of trees on both sides and practically deserted.

after that it gets quite rural with some farmland and a few lads out fishing, etc. a bit less interesting but still cool.

got a train back from leixlip to drumcondra. handy as fuck. definitely recommended.

Cool, I'll give that a go next week!

I'm taking a week off in May to walk the Wicklow Way, ala http://www.wicklowway.com/. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

I figure it's:

a) A Cheap Holiday;
b) Healthy/Active;
c) Scenic.

Maybe I should have used bullet points.

fair play,plan on doing the same come september,wanna get loads of walks in and aim to do st james way next spring http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James

off to the sugarloaf tomorrow if its a nice day.and maybe even if its not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back