Walking/Trails... what have you? (1 Viewer)

Yeah but it seems to have some good sights. I didn't mean for today, just in general. 18 miles is a lot for one day but I've done 14...so maybe some weekend I will attempt it.

Is the Bray to Greystone walk open yet? Do they close it for winter?

I'm only saying this to show off, but last sunday I strolled from Croke Park to Howth, that's about 20km folks. And the week before I climbed Bray head when it was all covered in snow and that. Great.
The original intention was to walk to Greystones, but it was closed. And having just looked it up, it is still closed:
http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=467

The Bray-Greystones line will remain closed up to and including Wednesday 18th February, and will reopen from the first train service on the morning of Thursday 19th February. The public footpath at Bray Head will remain closed until further notice.

Breaking walking news

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0218/1224241332556_pf.html

Single men less likely to take a walk than those in relationships

MARY MINIHAN
Wed, Feb 18, 2009
MEN WHO are in relationships walk much more than single men, and healthy habits formed during partnerships tend to continue even if the couples go their separate ways, new research has found.
About 60 per cent of partnered, separated and divorced men go walking for recreation, compared to less than 40 per cent of single men, according to a report from the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) which was commissioned by the Irish Sports Council.
Young, single men are the demographic group least likely to take walks.
“It seems that we’ve found a ‘couple effect’. Men that become involved in couples become far more likely to go for walks.
“This happens at quite a young age, so our assumption would be that they are walking with their partner, not to get away from them,” said the the ESRI’s Dr Pete Lunn, author of the first annual Irish Sports Monitor.
An interesting fact to emerge in this 125th anniversary year of the Gaelic Athletics Association is that there are now more gym members than GAA members.
In 2003, GAA clubs had the highest membership rates of all sports clubs. Now they have been surpassed by gyms and fitness centres, with almost 10 per cent of adults declaring membership.
There is little overlap between the two groups: less than 5 per cent of gym members are also GAA members.
Individual sports are now dominating grassroots participation in adult sport and exercise, with yoga and jogging found to be fast-growing activities for the solo sportsperson.
However, a fall-off in individual sporting activity was noted towards the end of 2007, which may be associated with the economic downturn. Dr Lunn said seasonal influences such as the weather, the approach of Christmas, and upheaval associated with the new academic term may have been factors.
“An intriguing alternative is that the effect is not seasonal but is associated with the rapidly deteriorating economic climate during late 2007.”
Gaelic football and hurling remain the leading sports for social participation.
The report describes the GAA as “the outstanding example regarding sports-related volunteering”.
The report also looked at levels of participation in sport in different parts of the State.
It found that people living in Mayo and the Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown local authority area were the most active.
Residents of Dublin city, Limerick, Kildare, Offaly, Leitrim and Westmeath recorded low participation.
© 2009 The Irish Times

Thumped Flâneur Society anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flâneur

E.g. Will Self (verbose author and professional grouch) considers himself a bit of a flâneur.

When he goes on holidays with his family he *walks* to the airport, and then *walks* from the airport on the far end to wherever they're staying. He's walked distances of up to 100 miles around London, where he lives.

I've always done this when I've gone to foreign type places and never realised there was a name for it (walking all over the gaff I mean, not walking to / from the airport.)

Irish Times today has an insert of Irish Walks. New challenge. I plan to do them all.
We did number 1 on the list today and then came down and bought the Irish Times and felt smug for having done number 1.

Diamond%20Hill.jpg

The flippin thing claims to be a hill though. It doesn't feel like a hill when you're three-quarters of the way up.

This is the view from the top, it's quite good
dynamicImage.aspx

Where's that?? That view from the top is amazing. Reminds me of the view from the top of the Sugar Loaf, or Mount Brandon.

Anyone got a copy of that Irish Times list?

I was less adventurous today, but it was still great.
Walked from Howth village around to the lighthouse and back, finishing with a deadly crêpe from the food market, which was eaten in the company of 12 curious (and no doubt clever and hungry) seals in the harbour.

f_22022009107m_a62ce77.jpg

Oh yeah, I was up there last year.

Handy footpath up it and all. I recognise the view now from your picture. Weather was similar when I was there, and it was ultra windy up there too.

I can't wait to do the Mount Brandon on the Dingle Peninsula.

Brandon is amazing. Really makes you realise how stunning the Irish landscape can be. The views there beat just about anything I've seen on my somewhat limited travels. Have hiking boots for it though, it's no Sunday stroll.

Part 2 is today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back