Vitamin/Mineral Supplement smells rank (1 Viewer)

I went through phases taking them. Apparently from a scientific point of view, the jury is still out on whether they're much use. I reckon that it must be better to get your vitamins through normal food but if you reckon there's stuff you're missing, you might be as well off. Also, if you find it working for you, carry on.

I'm with you Dowel. I take Solgar V 2000. They smell like crap, are huge and make you piss luminous, therefore, they work.

Fact*.

*I hope, as I'm afraid I don't have many other sources of B12.

Actual fact- I kept getting ill for the last few months (multiple anti-biotics ripped my immune system to shreds). I couldn't stop like. As soon as something was gone, something else happened. I turned into a sleeping machine. In December I started taking vitamins, pro-biotics and liver shit. Since then, I've stopped gettting sick and have felt way stronger and healthier. It may be just coincidence but I like to think not.

I'm with you Dowel. I take Solgar V 2000. They smell like crap, are huge and make you piss luminous, therefore, they work.

I take Female Multiple, also Solgar..lumionous pee is surely an indicator that you are a bionic woman!
I hear that many things have only a cumulative effect, so you need to consistantly take the supplements until such time as your body builds up enough and you see the benefits.

Fact*.

*I hope, as I'm afraid I don't have many other sources of B12.

Actual fact- I kept getting ill for the last few months (multiple anti-biotics ripped my immune system to shreds). I couldn't stop like. As soon as something was gone, something else happened. I turned into a sleeping machine. In December I started taking vitamins, pro-biotics and liver shit. Since then, I've stopped gettting sick and have felt way stronger and healthier. It may be just coincidence but I like to think not.
In fairness it's probably a very good idea for vegetareans to be taking supplements.

hard to tell if the pills are actually effective or is the placebo effect.

Did you ever read Ben Goldacre in the Guardian - he writes the Bad Science column. He tends to rail against things like this (well, homeopathy in particular) but talks about the awesome power of the placebo effect. Well worth an old read.

http://www.badscience.net/

hard to tell if the pills are actually effective or is the placebo effect.

Did you ever read Ben Goldacre in the Guardian - he writes the Bad Science column. He tends to rail against things like this (well, homeopathy in particular) but talks about the awesome power of the placebo effect. Well worth an old read.

http://www.badscience.net/
I'm a big fan of Goldacre

Thats really interesting, of course its all relative and with a multivitamin, results are hard to measure.
Maybe taking one promotes a sense of well-being that has a general knock-on effect of looking after yourself better anyway.
I love homeopathy! I love medicine!

Vegetarians don't eat as broad a range of food (by definition). Unless they're extremely careful with what they do eat, they may find their diet to be a bit nutritionally lacking.

baloney!
(don't wanna eat it anyway)
Sorry Wobbler, that's just rubbish. Typically vegetarians eat a broader range of food, in my experience.

baloney!
Sorry Wobbler, that's just rubbish. Typically vegetarians eat a broader range of food, in my experience.

Really? That hasn't been my experience. Most vegetarians I know well (excluding internerd friens) eat mostly grains (starchy and processed) and various processed soy products along with the bog standard root veg. They are considerably unadventurous when it comes to fruit and vegetables and the bulk of what they eat is made up from processed and refined foods.

While they vary the tastes of these items by using spices etc they are certainly not getting the full balance of nutrients which a diet including fish, meat or dairy would provide.

Some of them are among the least healthy people I know. Almost as though they think that not eating meat is all the effort they need to make towards feeding their body healthily.

Modern production methods, for fruit and vegetables, as well as meat and poultry, and also farmed fish, have resulted in diminished nutritional value across the board. It is a sad fact that, without over-eating, it would be very difficult for the majority of people to provide their nutritional requirements from diet alone. People with access to home grown produce have a slightly improved chance.

Meat is only a small fraction of the edibles! that's all, and it's not SO nutrious, I'm not vegan though, I would miss eggs I think, but there are substitutes of course.
This is true 'bout the modern farming, and so I'm chugging the horse pills!

baloney!
Well it's always going to vary from omnivore to omnivore and vegetarean to vegetarean but it is absolutely indisputable that meat eaters have a bigger pool of food to choose from.

also, it is no advantage to take way more of a certain vitamin per day, your body can only use so much (recommended daily allowance), the rest goes sraight to waste. some recent studies have actually shown taking vitamin d supplements can be bad for you.

I take the auld Solgar V-2000 for general use and Higher Nature brain supplement for my poor, forgetful noggin.

I was gone a bit lazy for supplements until I read a terrifying thing recently which said lack of iodine (which isn't in my vegan diet) can cause brain damage, and is a main cause of preventable mental disorders. Eek!

Really? That hasn't been my experience. Most vegetarians I know well (excluding internerd friens) eat mostly grains (starchy and processed) and various processed soy products along with the bog standard root veg. They are considerably unadventurous when it comes to fruit and vegetables and the bulk of what they eat is made up from processed and refined foods.

While they vary the tastes of these items by using spices etc they are certainly not getting the full balance of nutrients which a diet including fish, meat or dairy would provide.

I know lots of veggies like that, in fact I used to be, but I know lots of meat-eaters who are even worse. A fish-and-veggie diet is probably the healthiest, most meat-eaters don't eat enough fish either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back