Vinyl (1 Viewer)

Rimbaud said:
I've a 80 euro turntable and 1'000's or euros worth of vinyl!
Currently playing Neu 2 original vinyl on Brain records (yes the one John Peel bought over from Germany to play on he's show when he was a young go-getter) - my mates got the cd re-issue on..cd...
which is cooler?Case closed like a 180 gram gatefold record.

Hmm, I only recently got into them due to a friend (lent me a load of that stuff, Neu!, Can, Faust etc etc) and its on CD.. I can see how its suited to an LP (length wise) but someone mentioned CD's creating filler albums.. But Neu! probably created the idea of filler songs on albums.. On Neu! there's only 2 tracks worthy of release! The other stuf (like 5 mins of bubbles bursting) is sheer filler!! Ok, I'm no getting off the point..

Anyone got a player to give to a good home?? I'm still waiting in vain for Savins to ring back about that nedle from 4 months agoo.. I've ever managed to listened to any of my records!! :(

Anthony said:
How many people here have a €1,000 stereo system with a top class record deck and a diamond needle (or whatever)?

I've a 2 grand turntable with a $180 diamond needle and a sound system that would collapse the roof if turned passed six (cue torrent of de-reps!!!).

I've never bought a CD in my life. The first LP I acquired from HMV was Rocket to Russia. Good start methinks. I cranked that up on a half decent Gerard turntable through an old Sansui valve amp and there was no lookin back after that.

You've never bought even one cd?
I find that very hard to believe.

I've listened to vinyl on very expensive (5 figure) systems and I cannot hear that much of a difference.

The problem I have is that when you buy a vinyl album and play it the first time, thats the best it's ever going to sound.

Because there is contact with the disc the grooves are very slowly becoming duller and duller.

True?

Gambra said:
Hmm, I only recently got into them due to a friend (lent me a load of that stuff, Neu!, Can, Faust etc etc) and its on CD.. I can see how its suited to an LP (length wise) but someone mentioned CD's creating filler albums.. But Neu! probably created the idea of filler songs on albums.. On Neu! there's only 2 tracks worthy of release! The other stuf (like 5 mins of bubbles bursting) is sheer filler!!

Not too sure about Neu! being pure filler - too songs worthy of release?I'm guessing your talking about Neu 3 (the black cover?) with the track with the vocals/guitars?
Anyways - some people like em some don't i guess.I'd rate them pretty high on the Kraut scale myself.Top ambient rock stuff for the early 70's.
Get some acid and have a good drop out weekend with some Neu! and Spacemen 3!While bad for the health its great as ear candy.

i grew up with a sitting room full of vinyl (although i was never let put a record on myself incase i scratched them with the needle). i just used to love the big inserts with all the lyrics, which ruled over cassettes. plus the rolling stones record with the actual zip on the front and the led zeppelin one with the cutout windows were the most amazing things in the world when i was small. cds just can't compete!

Rimbaud said:
Not too sure about Neu! being pure filler - too songs worthy of release?I'm guessing your talking about Neu 3 (the black cover?) with the track with the vocals/guitars?
Anyways - some people like em some don't i guess.I'd rate them pretty high on the Kraut scale myself.Top ambient rock stuff for the early 70's.
Get some acid and have a good drop out weekend with some Neu! and Spacemen 3!While bad for the health its great as ear candy.

Nope, I am talking of the first album (simply called Neu!) it really is just filler though.. The third one, Neu! '75 is nothing but pure tunes, no filler there. I'm not saying there's anything wrong, they're great stuff but Neu! is just filler apart from those two tracks! :)

You're so wrong about Neu 1 being "filler"... Neu 2 is the one where they ran out of money and filled half of the record with 'remixes' of the other tracks playing at different speeds. Neu 1 is all good stuff.

There was a time in the late 1980s / early 1990s when the 'industry' [i.e. major labels] was pushing the CD format as the standard and trying to relegate / dispense with vinyl.

A lot of albums around 60 mins or more in duration were released on single vinyl and sounded quite poor as too much music was crammed into the grooves.

examples
Anthrax - Persistence Of Time
Anthrax - State Of Euphoria
De La Soul - Three Feet High And Rising
Ice T - O G
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
Neil Young - Freedom
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory

Richie said:
You're so wrong about Neu 1 being "filler"... Neu 2 is the one where they ran out of money and filled half of the record with 'remixes' of the other tracks playing at different speeds. Neu 1 is all good stuff.

Ok, while Neu!2 is the one more filled with filler stuff (all that slowed down & sped up songs etc) but you can't say that Sonderangebot (track 2) and Im Gluck (track 4) aren't filler??

More LPs that are cut with way too much music on both sides resulting in substandard fidelity.

Pulp - Different Class
The Cure - Disintegration
Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion Live
The Smiths - Rank
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard A True Star
Beatles - Live At The BBC
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour [sounds ok]
The Fall - B Sides [double LP. Each side has 30 mins of music]

Bodycount - Bodycount
Black Sheep - A Woman In Sheep's Clothing
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmusik
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
Gang Starr - No More Mr Nice Guy
Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers)
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Various - Singles Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Alice In Chains - Dirt

Ok, while Neu!2 is the one more filled with filler stuff (all that slowed down & sped up songs etc) but you can't say that Sonderangebot (track 2) and Im Gluck (track 4) aren't filler??

Because they don't have beats? One man's filler is another's gold, I suppose.

where in dublin is good for buying a new stylus? i've got an aiwa record player that's about 5 years old and hasn't had it's stylus replaced since i bought it. bad me.

i love buying records and wish that all new albums came out on vinyl with a free download. the only album i own that did this though is the last Belle & Sebastian one and i'd illegally downloaded that 3 months before it came out anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back