Vinyl (1 Viewer)

GORILLAMUNCH said:
what you get, natedogg?

I don't believe I have to send this again!
I really should have used the word 'ship'. I got you thinking of a nice big ship. It was a bit hyperbolic of me to say the least. Anyway 8lps, 3 7s and a kickass dvd all came to 116e with shipping and taxes included.

lps:
'The hot rock', 'dig me out' - sleator kinney
'ooioo s/t
'realistes', 'tigertown pictures - comet gain
'either/or' - elliot smith ( speed trials opening song just got me!)
'other animals' - erase errata
'unlimited 78-83' - maximum joy

7s:
'red rumsey' - vern rumsey
'this is my prayer' - black gang, some new mike watt project
'thee friendship village' - godheadsilo

Some dvd featuring lops of stuff, including some men's recovery project videos. sweet.

I was gonna get that huggy bear/ bikini kill split cause it was mentioned on this thread, but I just didn't. ah, well. they also have the slit's cut on vinyl, which some people think was never repressed. unfortunely they don't have 'collossal youth' on vinyl, an album I am gagging to get - those four songs on their myspace are just class. no wrangler brutes on vinyl, the very best of men's recovery project is there though.
All I can say is - thank goodness for 3v cards!

Wilbert said:
Thats amazing. Ever found there was stuff you like but wasn't available on vinyl?
What happens then?

I kneel in the shadow of bethehokey's greatness after I'm done kneeling in the shadows of greatness of gorillamunch and wormo.

Nate Champion said:
Anyway 8lps, 3 7s and a kickass dvd all came to 116e with shipping and taxes included.

killrockstars is the best for mailorder. i'm waiting for erase errata & miko miko at the end of the month before i do my summer splurge.

that maximum joy double vinyl is very nice indeed! get the huggy bear split next time. it rocks.

zebra heart attack said:
killrockstars is the best for mailorder. i'm waiting for erase errata & miko miko at the end of the month before i do my summer splurge.

that maximum joy double vinyl is very nice indeed! get the huggy bear split next time. it rocks.

Oh yeah, there was two free 7s with that as well. Grand. Y'know, I meant to buy more - I just let 'money' scare me was all.

Wilbert said:
Thats amazing. Ever found there was stuff you like but wasn't available on vinyl?
What happens then?
i.e. the boredoms

eventually you get pissed off not having it and buy the cd

egg_ said:
None of these things are music:
A vinyl record
The electrical signal coming from a microphone
Sheet music

Your argument is silly, Mormon Nailer. Perhaps it's a joke?

Not silly at all.

Digital conversion chops waves into bits. There is no way to reconstruct the same wave from this stream of bits.

Information is irrecoverably lost in the translation from analoge to digital. You can get closer and closer to the original waveform depending on the bitrate however it is a fact of maths/science whatever that you can not recreate totally the original sound.

A vinyl record is music in away a CD isnt as the vibrations from the mic in the studio are transferred to electrical vibrations in the wire and ultimately to vibrations on the suface of the disk.

I think when people say Vinyl is warmer, it has less to do with surface noise etc and more to do with the fact the we are more aware of the missing information than we think.

Nate, the Black Gang has been around for many years.

Wilbert,
I can't think of anything that has come out on CD only that I ever wanted THAT much. I like Gary's quote, snobby as it is, that if its any good it comes out on vinyl!!
I'm not a Boredoms fan so no worries there. If something's fairly rockin but doesn;t come out on vinyl I'm afraid I just rip it.
That's the truth.

Mormon Nailer said:
Not silly at all.
Naw dude, you're wrong

Digital conversion chops waves into bits. There is no way to reconstruct the same wave from this stream of bits ... Information is irrecoverably lost in the translation from analoge to digital.
Information is irrecoverably transformed at stage in the recording and reproduction chain, analogue or digital. Mic, preamp, desk, compressor/reverb/whatever, A->D conversion/tape, master to CD/vinyl, CD/vinyl to amp, amp to speakers (vinyl has an additional RIAA equalization stage too)

It is a fact of maths/science that the original wave (in the recording room) can never be totally recreated, no matter what techniques you use.

Your argument doesn't stack up. The only argument that does is "X sounds better to me".

egg_ said:
Naw dude, you're wrong

Information is irrecoverably transformed at stage in the recording and reproduction chain, analogue or digital. Mic, preamp, desk, compressor/reverb/whatever, A->D conversion/tape, master to CD/vinyl, CD/vinyl to amp, amp to speakers (vinyl has an additional RIAA equalization stage too)

It is a fact of maths/science that the original wave (in the recording room) can never be totally recreated, no matter what techniques you use.

Your argument doesn't stack up. The only argument that does is "X sounds better to me".

There is a loss of quality from one analogue form to another. But you are still just moving a alternating signal - the information is still a wave.

Digital comes with a loss if information.

Once the wave becomes a stream of bits information is lost.

Digital doesnt sound "better". It sounds cleaner. This cleanliness comes at the expense of accuracy, as with a digital signal the information available is finite.

Got this from wikipedia:

All ADCs work by sampling their input at discrete intervals of time. Their output is therefore an incomplete picture of the behaviour of the input. There is no way of knowing, by looking at the output, what the input was doing between one sampling instant and the next. If the input is known to be changing slowly compared to the sampling rate, then it can be assumed that the value of the signal between two sample instants was somewhere between the two sampled values. If, however, the input signal is changing fast compared to the sample rate, then this assumption is not valid.
If the digital values produced by the ADC are, at some later stage in the system, converted back to analog values by a digital to analog converter or DAC, it is desirable that the output of the DAC be a faithful representation of the original signal. If the input signal is changing much faster than the sample rate, then this will not be the case, and spurious signals called aliases will be produced at the output of the DAC. The frequency of the aliased signal is the difference between the signal frequency and the sampling rate. For example, a 2 kHz sinewave being sampled at 1.5 kHz would be reconstructed as a 500 Hz sinewave. This problem is called aliasing.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to the max.

mr snake, unless you have lots and lots of money and have recorded analoguely in the first place, just put it out on cd. so funny how people are flexing their music tech nerd muscles and completely missing the point... 99% of the vinyl you buy today is just digital music pressed into plastic.

and shut up while you're at it. indie jocks? ha ha ah ah aha

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back