Vinyl (3 Viewers)

egg_ said:
I do have a problem with getting old and being broke, but I can't seem to do anything about either

you can do something about being old, like not assuming the role of a lecturing parent by talking down to Mormon!

Grandad

egg_ said:
That's where you're wrong. Each piece of equipment in the recording and reproduction chain changes the signal. There's way more to it than just adding noise

I'm not glossing over it, "quality" of reproduction depends on a lot more than the sample rate - bit depth, for instance, and the design of the filter that rolls off high frequencies before the signal hits the a/d convertors.

Seriously dude, go and look this up somewhere like prosoundweb.com - you're approaching the digital vs analogue debate from a very simplistic perspective. All recording methods are approximations, and the "lost information" thing is a red herring

It maybe simplistic thats simply because the problem is simple.

You can get all caught up in talk of filters etc, however the simple fact is once sampling is involved information is lost. And can't be recreated. I never suggested that these are the only considerations involved but you can't ignore it as a factor.

I never went through that Irish rite of passage of a sound engineering course so I'll trust you on the filters and such.. but trust me on the math.

It may be a theory but so is gravity and I wouldn't ignore that theory either.

Be the Hokey said:
Wilbert,
Hey,
There is no point in aiming that stuff at me! I never said that you shouldn't buy CDs. I just think they are CRAP myself and would feel stupid wasting my money on them.
It all sounds good to me - CD/vinyl whatever. The quality depends on your sound system. And records play fine after 100 listens if you look after them. Ditto CDs.
What I personally like about vinyl is the bulk, the 12" artwork and the gatefold sleeves, the colour vinyl, the stacked library of music, and the ritualistic act of putting the needle on the record.
All told, I just personally think that CDs are bollocks, especially when one of the plastic hinges that holds on the plastic cover snaps off, hahaha!!! It's not about the sound for me, it's the format.

Thats fair enough. I can certainly understand that.

GORILLAMUNCH said:
have you considered that age/surface noise might actually enhance the listening experience?
aoife has this ol tymee dance with the devil record, dunno when it's from but it's old. it wouldn't be as interesting as an artifact if it was on cd.
like wise - mp3 of the monster mash vs monster mash 7"...i know which one i'm listenin to...

that sounds gay
I know exactly what you mean. Some records sound amazing because of the age/surface noise.

I just meant that the needle is wearing away at the grooves on the record. Grinding them down until eventually the sound has deteriorated.

Wormo said:
If you play cds over and over they eventually begin to skip too.... nothings perfick

I suppose the advantage of CD here is that you can remove that scuzz from the surface of a CD but with a record its for life.

I think CD's get fucked up way faster than vinyl. Some start to skip with the least little spec.

Wormo said:
If you play cds over and over they eventually begin to skip too.... nothings perfick

I have every song I've ever heard stored on my iMem. I've got 9,000,000 + songs now (some of which I really must delete - Stefan Denis and Wreckx-N-Effect? What the fuck?) It's pretty much limitless storage, although some files have gotten damaged when I've been out, and my filing system is all over the place. I've just gotten a demo version of the new Thrills album just by imagining it. If anyone wants it PM me and I'll upload it to Brainwav. Anyway, back to work.

Now playing : Men at Work.

Mormon Nailer said:
I think CD's get fucked up way faster than vinyl. Some start to skip with the least little spec.

D'ya remember when CDs came out first there'd be these demos on television of how you could do things like spread jam on them and then wipe it off and they still worked. This then turned out to be one big lie!! I've never gotten over that.

hugh said:
D'ya remember when CDs came out first there'd be these demos on television of how you could do things like spread jam on them and then wipe it off and they still worked. This then turned out to be one big lie!! I've never gotten over that.
It's a big technological cul de sac.
Eddison disks are the way forward.

I can't believe people are getting so het up. CD or vinyl - it's all just plastc, lads.

And in Egg's defence, he's simply arguing with Mormon about something he knows about. No harm done. Don't slag him off for being old. It's an un-classy thing to do. Really.

hugh said:

Judith Hahnn was a lying bitch.
JUDHAN_h250.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back