Vinyl (3 Viewers)

Mormon Nailer said:
If the music is digital you have changed vibrations to 1s and 0s. There is no conversion in the world which can acatually reverse that process. You are merely imitating the original vibrations.

Digital is not music, it is convenient and all that, but it is still only an simulation of music. Analogue is the real thing.
None of these things are music:
A vinyl record
The electrical signal coming from a microphone
Sheet music

Your argument is silly, Mormon Nailer. Perhaps it's a joke?

c.d is han-D
tape hisses like a snake.
vinyl is final
empeethree can suck my gee

a poem by sir g von stereo

damn tape only rhyming with rape.
tape is like rape?

I far prefer vinyl ..... only problem is I can't listen to my records in the car. I would love it if record companies would dump CD-Rs into the vinyl sleeves like Shellac. Or else .... each vinyl album comes with a sticker that has a code that let's you do a one-off download of a digital version. Merge said they were going to do that with the Robert Pollard album but it never happened. Its the way forward .... I'd never buy a CD again.

nlgbbbblth said:
Re: Huggy Bear / Bikini Kill split

I like it.
I bought it on vinyl and would have regardless even if they bought it on CD.

I just thought releasing it on cassette instead of CD was a pointless and wrong gesture.

Cassette eh..the most misunderstood medium in music.
I have the Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists on tape...i'll never give it up no matter how many cents i'm offered!
I bought the last Highscore album on tape.Cheap as hell these days they are.

hugh said:
Its the way forward .... I'd never buy a CD again.

I'll then be able to stand in front of HMV and laugh at the rows and rows of worthless stock they have!!Happy days ahead :)

Of course only after i sell the way cool cds i sell myself.

*actually i think my comments are only jive at major company music industry more than about vinyl :(

Anthony said:
How many people here have a €1,000 stereo system with a top class record deck and a diamond needle (or whatever)? How many even have a record player?

I have separates which are 11 years old. They sound pretty good.
Bought a second CD player last year.

My two turntables are KAMs. Change the stylus on both every 18 months or so. My mixer needs to be replaced. Any recommendations on a new one? Need to have four separate channels for the two decks and two CD players.

snakybus said:
do you like vinyl?

if you were to release a record, would it be on vinyl, and why?

is it because of the big huge covers so you can hold it and look at it like a picture and get a buzz?

or is it because it's louder?

or is it because the time and effort to put the needle in the groove and change sides just makes one appreciate the music more?

vinyl enthusiasts, tell me your opinions

well ...I guess all of the above reasons
and also (despite being aware of cheap pressings and deterioration etc) for me releasing on vinyl is attractive mainly because it seems more "real" and something I'd wanna cherish:) ... especially if it's your own music/your own release *lol!*maybe that's just pretentious, I donno...
I guess if you collect vinyl it makes sense:)
It's not exactly economical either but it's something more than *novelty*;)

nlgbbbblth said:
I have separates which are 11 years old. They sound pretty good.
Bought a second CD player last year.

My two turntables are KAMs. Change the stylus on both every 18 months or so. My mixer needs to be replaced. Any recommendations on a new one? Need to have four separate channels for the two decks and two CD players.

our decks are seperated - 1210s, they're only rapid
one in the living room, one by the bed, (for listening to black sabbath only)
dunno what the amps are, they both work and it all sounds fine to me

finally got a cd seperate recently (thanks brian!)

i don't know why i collect vinyl other than it looks and feels nice. it's not perfect though. recently, following yet another back breaking house move, i tried to cull the collection and i was able to extract about 30 records in total which is pitiful. you really see what a ball and chain a collection can be when you move house. i try not to collect anything else for that reason.

i suppose another reason i like vinyl is for the accessability of it. you can just throw the record on and stick the needle anywhere on the record quick-style. with a cd or whatever, it's just not as simple as that.

i don't believe that vinyl sounds better than cd. i've only heard ridiculous arguments about this and they usually come from people who have invested a lot in their vinyl collection / equipment. most of the new music you hear on vinyl was recorded digitally anyway.

the other thing about vinyl that makes it better than cds is that if you scratch a vinyl, it's damaged at the bit you scratched whereas if you scratch a cd it's generally fucked outright.

Mormon Nailer said:
The is a difference. If you have a vinyl and CD copy of the same album have a listen to both.

There is more of a difference than you would imagine.

Vinly is more engageing.

Neil Young - After The Goldrush. *Prime* example of this. Vinyl is a zillion times better

Mormon Nailer said:
If the music is digital you have changed vibrations to 1s and 0s. There is no conversion in the world which can acatually reverse that process. You are merely imitating the original vibrations.

Digital is not music, it is convenient and all that, but it is still only an simulation of music. Analogue is the real thing.
Troll post of the week.

*golf clap

boigaz said:
i don't know why i collect vinyl other than it looks and feels nice. it's not perfect though. recently, following yet another back breaking house move, i tried to cull the collection and i was able to extract about 30 records in total which is pitiful. you really see what a ball and chain a collection can be when you move house. i try not to collect anything else for that reason.

Can empathise with that.
My last house move (2003) was made hell by vinyl, VHS tapes and two different types of stairs.

im a vinyl whore
i only like them because they look good spinning around on acid
that and the fact that plenty of music i listen to is vinyl only release
and you can throw them like frisbees much better than cds

Ivytheterrible said:
Neil Young - After The Goldrush. *Prime* example of this. Vinyl is a zillion times better
yeah, but that's more of a mastering issue, right? with cd re-issues, the original recording has to be re-mastered and that master might sound better or worse than the original for-vinyl master. it's not a limitation of the cd format though.

RED(tape)MENACE said:
Was that to me?

No.

I have a decent record player, well best I've ever owned, it has a stanton needle (supposed to be good) and a marantz amp and excellent speakers. Iron Maiden Killers still sounds fuzzy towards the end of a side and skips during The Ides Of March like it did from day one.
I am on a bit of a vinyl buzz at the moment though.

Now Playing : Fear Factory mp3

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back