Vinyl (3 Viewers)

vinyl records are much better as an artifact, the size can turn cover artworks into something to have in themselves, and the subjectively "warmer" and surface noise does add to certain forms of music.

however, there are some types of music (for instance, more minimal drone based stuff, or pieces with a very high dynamic range) that are totally unsuitable for vinyl. i'm thinking of the work of mirror, who released mainly vinyl, and the surface noise really is an unwanted addition in that case.

cds have an obvious advantage in terms of ease of transport (i would argue they are much more handy for dj-ing) and digital clarity of sound, though due to their size they lose out as an artifact and become more ephemeral (it's sad to see that very few artists do go to any decent effort when it comes to making cd packaging special, though there are exceptions, such as the hafler trio). putting a cdr in with a vinyl album is an ideal situation.

mp3s below 256 kbps are shit, though tolerable enough for already heavily compressed rock or pop music.

I like vinyl, it's the format I got into music with. I'm not romantic about it though. I want to hear the music as close as what the artist was hearing in the studio when they finished mastering it. To me that's CD.

i love buying vinyl but i find myself buying way more cds than i do records now as they are just more convenient. im getting a bit more selective of what records i buy, depending alot on artwork,mood etc. example: i picked up the new six organs of admittance record on vinyl cause its the kind of album i want to listen to on vinyl whereas il pick up the eraser by thom yorke today on cd so i can just bung it on my ipod as well.

am i making sense? im not the best writer.

as kids, my brother and I stuck a sewing needle in the bottom of a plastic cup (flimsy throwaway kind) and put my parent's records on a turntable and then stuck the needle (literally) in the groove. It worked, you could hear the music.

hmmmm...seems to me then that vinyl enthusiasts can hear a difference, but what about the rest of the great unwashed (like me - I didn't wash today)

nlgbbbblth said:
Huggy Bear and Bikini Kill releasing their split album on LP and cassette only was such an infuriating gesture. LP and CD would have been far better.

Ah you did'nt miss much - it was'nt great really :(

The first record i got was The Chrome Cranks-Dead Cool, as it was'nt available on any other format - it them took me a month or two to locate a turntable.From there on in i love vinyl, cds are more desposable in some ways.

Are you asking these questions because your releasing something and are'nt sure??
Firstly i would never recommend a band to release vinyl if they don't buy/have/play vinyl themselves, they would'nt get the point of owning vinyl etc..(maybe thats why your asking).
Lots of people buy vinyl and love it - IT WILL NEVER DIE!!!!

Vinyl all the way, cd:s just end up in a pile in a corner I only dig when I need to have something with me, vinyls are always staring at me demanding some attention.

My ratio of used to new records is something like 3:1, you can't beat the selection of used vinyl - not having to dig through miles of useless uninteresting brainfarts during your precious hours of leisure time is quite handy.

Only one way to find out.

Here's a thinker.. even for a digitally recorded song, the last conversion from data to sound that it goes through before it hits your ears will be a VERY expensive converter at the pressing stage.
With a cd, the last conversion will be the €0.25 converter in your dicey cd player/walkman.
One will sound significantly better than the other.

How many people here have a €1,000 stereo system with a top class record deck and a diamond needle (or whatever)? How many even have a record player?

I'm bored.

snakybus said:
as kids, my brother and I stuck a sewing needle in the bottom of a plastic cup (flimsy throwaway kind) and put my parent's records on a turntable and then stuck the needle (literally) in the groove. It worked, you could hear the music.

hmmmm...seems to me then that vinyl enthusiasts can hear a difference, but what about the rest of the great unwashed (like me - I didn't wash today)

The is a difference. If you have a vinyl and CD copy of the same album have a listen to both.

There is more of a difference than you would imagine.

Vinly is more engageing.

Anthony said:
How many people here have a €1,000 stereo system with a top class record deck and a diamond needle (or whatever)? How many even have a record player?

I'm bored.

I've a 80 euro turntable and 1'000's or euros worth of vinyl!
Currently playing Neu 2 original vinyl on Brain records (yes the one John Peel bought over from Germany to play on he's show when he was a young go-getter) - my mates got the cd re-issue on..cd...
which is cooler?Case closed like a 180 gram gatefold record.

RED(tape)MENACE said:
Only one way to find out.

Here's a thinker.. even for a digitally recorded song, the last conversion from data to sound that it goes through before it hits your ears will be a VERY expensive converter at the pressing stage.
With a cd, the last conversion will be the €0.25 converter in your dicey cd player/walkman.
One will sound significantly better than the other.

If the music is digital you have changed vibrations to 1s and 0s. There is no conversion in the world which can acatually reverse that process. You are merely imitating the original vibrations.

Digital is not music, it is convenient and all that, but it is still only an simulation of music. Analogue is the real thing.

thing is, with CDs, people can burn them, rip them, copy them etc

it devalues the CD a bit - is the CD the new cassette tape?

I think it's possible that vinyl could regain it's exalted place

Rimbaud - yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back