US Presidential Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

Anyone who can hold the most important political office in the world, after spending a late night in an underground jazz club, bumming smokes of his buddy Jack Kerouac, is ok in my book.

He's gonna be the coolest POTUS ever if elected.

obamasmokingpr5.jpg

despite how good it looks for Obama, I would not at all be surprised if McCain gets in. the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_effect"]Bradley Effect[/ame] must be troubling (might have been posted before).

If the Bradley effect holds true and Obama loses despite doing well in the pre-election and exit polls then brace yourselves for vote rigging headwreckery.

yeah, if it happens there'll also be loads of soul-searching by americans who thought they weren't a racist society. I have a feeling that even if there is a Bradley Effect, it will be less pronounced because it is the Prez elections. Or maybe it will be more pronounced!ninjaaaa

vote rigging in the US,
three questions :
Can they do it?
Yes. They can they do it very nicely with paperless electronic votes. They do do it with now with making people queue up ages in areas they dont want votes from, gerrymandering and removing people from the register.

Would they do it?
It would look bad if they were caught. But, to rely on people's good nature is pretty dubious. Basically if they know they could get away with it, I am pretty certain they would do it.

Can they keep it quiet?
This is hard. You can't have people knowing about it. Almost everyone has to believe that things are legit. As in probably no more than a handful of people, all of whom would be destroyed if anything came out. I mean, everyone must be completely implicated. Its in everyone;s interest to not let anyone know. Guaranteeing no one will find out about it is made much much easier with black box electronic voting. Then all you have to do is every time people say "vote rigging" you ask them how their UFO hunting is going.

So vote rigging can, and already in a way definitely does, happen.

If the Bradley effect holds true and Obama loses despite doing well in the pre-election and exit polls then brace yourselves for vote rigging headwreckery.

I think the Bradley effect isn't as pronounced as people think. It may have been a factor 15 years ago but I think now it's more a way for newscasters to prove they are knowledgeable.

And I think peopel who genuinely wouldn' t vote for a black man will just say they dont think Obama is experienced or McCain is stronger on foreign policy etc etc.

There are plenty of reasons to give - I don't think there is a huge pool of voters out there declaring for Obama who will vote McCain.

I would subscribe to the belief that the "time for a change" factor is one of the single biggest deciders in an election. Republicans had two terms in the white house, they're almost certain to be fucked out this time around anyway.

"Get a job! Get a job!"

How strange.

Not really. In many small towns you'll find many republicans who see all democrats as people who want/need government aid. Democrats want their money (increased taxes) to fund the lazy homeless unemployed. Democrats steal their hard earned money to fund the useless deadbeats in cities of their state. It's been a mind game going on for years in the republicans favor.

Years ago there was WWII bring people together, us against them. It was all about working hard together to provide a better life for the next generation. By the late 60's 70's people realized they had archived that and began living those lives. Then it became I want a better life than you. The keeping up with your neighbors. The 80's were all personal gain and satisfaction. Screw the other guy, do for yourself.

People who graduate college usually go where the jobs are... in the city. You'll see most big cities vote blue. The US is HUGE and most of it is small cities and towns with mostly uneducated holding jobs in areas that are being shipped overseas. Most are struggling. Have been struggling so they need every bit of money they make. They don't want to give it to the state to fund programs in large cities they don't live in.

It's hard to see the bigger picture when you are working long hours, have little to no vacation/free time, watch only the local news / local paper (very slanted) and have little to no money. My parent's three bedroom house is worth 45 thousand dollars now. I think at it's height is cost 65-85, however the average 2 person household income (back in 2000) was 33 thousand. I bet it is even lower now.

Leave the cities and the US is a much different place.

I still don't really understand the "get a job" jeers. I was under the impression that unemployment assistance in the US was almost non-existent, so presumably almost everyone has some kind of job?

It's not like here but unemployment is still very big there. Even if you have a job most (especially in cities where it's more expensive to live) you'll get governmental aid.

Take college for example, my parents combined made too much money to me to get free aid for college. However, they were just getting by and had no savings and a mortgage to pay. In many cases, you're better off not having a job than having one.... especially in the cities. Most small towns are comprised of very proud people, like my dad. He'd work long hard hours to put food on the table than to take a hand out.

People always go visit the big cities in the US, I swear spend a few weeks in some small little towns and it becomes understandable albeit depressing. Beautiful places with good people but it's so misguided. People who get out and can see it don't move back. There is nothing there for them to move back to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back