US Presidential Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

good man mcain. i hope to fuck he gets the republican nomination. you get the impression that he wouldn't resort to the negativity most republican candidates would. a mccain v. obama race would be a good one. look what happened to him after new hampshire in 2000 though.

good man mcain. i hope to fuck he gets the republican nomination. you get the impression that he wouldn't resort to the negativity most republican candidates would. a mccain v. obama race would be a good one. look what happened to him after new hampshire in 2000 though.

MCCAIN IS A SCARY FUCKER. Don't let his failed pro-Irish-Immigrant policy fool you.

Some commentators are saying the fact that New Hampshire was the last state to adopt Martin Luther King day as a holiday may indicate that the votes may have been racially motivated.

Anyway, Bill Clinton came second in New Hampshire. So it doesn't mean Hillary will definitely get the nomination.

And does anyone think this dynasty business is a bit, well, undemocratic?
Bush - Clinton - Clinton - Bush - Bush - Clinton

Some commentators are saying the fact that New Hampshire was the last state to adopt Martin Luther King day as a holiday may indicate that the votes may have been racially motivated.

Anyway, Bill Clinton came second in New Hampshire. So it doesn't mean Hillary will definitely get the nomination.

And does anyone think this dynasty business is a bit, well, undemocratic?
Bush - Clinton - Clinton - Bush - Bush - Clinton

Well, the dynastic thing is a bit icky, but it's not new. Adams, Roosevelt, etc. And if the country had been ready for a woman president after FDR died, Eleanor would have been a shoo-in.

Anyroads, New Hampshire may indeed be New England's very own Alabama (the town of Keene, NH, was once reputed to be the inbreeding capital of America), but it's also a very old school Republican-type place, in that they don't like the federal government much. There would certainly be a racist element there, but it would be combined with a 'don't tell us when we can and can't have a holiday' attitude.

Rhode Island is the only state to celebrate "VJ" day, not a day to commemorate our fallen MTV brethren and sistren, but a day to celebrate Victory over Japan, which most other states have long since decided is a more than a little tactless reason for a holiday. Most people kinda just don't want to give up the day off work, and Americans have never caught on to the bank holiday concept, where you don't need to be commemorating anything at all to justify it.

PS: Rhode Island is like the US's own County Louth.

2657153.jpg

But he's personable on the Daily Show. That's enough for people here who get most of their US current affairs from John Stewert.

Stop scaring me.

I think it's more like the World Cup. Ireland doesn't always make it, so people pick another team to back, just for the sake of following it with some kind of vested interest, even if not ideal.

People do the same thing with politics, treat it a bit like backing a sports team, which is at least as scary as the doom we all face if any of the Republicans gets in. There isn't a single republican who doesn't scare the pants off me, and I can't rank them in order of terror ratings because they all scare me equally, just for different reasons. Giuliani might be not-anti-gay-marriage, but he'd be the first to build an ethnic cleansing machine. McCain might not be anti-immigrant, but he'd fucking take away your right to do what you wanted with your body (be it stick your penis in another man's behind, or decide what to do with your female body) and he'd be most likely to accidentally bomb Alaska. Romney would make you wear special underwear you could never take off, Huckabee would jack your mouth open and shove down the throbbing cock of a gigantic Jesus, and ban all things that are fun or freedomesque while his son ran rampant with a loaded gun and a ham underarm.

They are all bad. All bad. I'm not picking a 'lesser of the evils' because there simply isn't one. In 1996, we had Lamar Alexander. In 2000 we had....um...I don't know.

Stop scaring me.

I think it's more like the World Cup. Ireland doesn't always make it, so people pick another team to back, just for the sake of following it with some kind of vested interest, even if not ideal.

People do the same thing with politics, treat it a bit like backing a sports team, which is at least as scary as the doom we all face if any of the Republicans gets in. There isn't a single republican who doesn't scare the pants off me, and I can't rank them in order of terror ratings because they all scare me equally, just for different reasons. Giuliani might be not-anti-gay-marriage, but he'd be the first to build an ethnic cleansing machine. McCain might not be anti-immigrant, but he'd fucking take away your right to do what you wanted with your body (be it stick your penis in another man's behind, or decide what to do with your female body) and he'd be most likely to accidentally bomb Alaska. Romney would make you wear special underwear you could never take off, Huckabee would jack your mouth open and shove down the throbbing cock of a gigantic Jesus, and ban all things that are fun or freedomesque while his son ran rampant with a loaded gun and a ham underarm.

They are all bad. All bad. I'm not picking a 'lesser of the evils' because there simply isn't one. In 1996, we had Lamar Alexander. In 2000 we had....um...I don't know.

dick joke @ line 11. good work.

Mc Cain's understanding of foregin policy seems pretty dismal. Not surprising, given his history. That said, in my own uneducated view it think it would ideally be in america's best interests give thier domestic issues priorty for the next couple of years, and if given the right kind of push, McCain could do this.

Unfortunatly, what with being the most powerful country on the planet;and given the state that The States have put themselves in internationally over the past 30 years; a competant , compromising and reasonable approach to foregin policy is essential for the next Administration.

And, McCain's ancient. Relative youth is a handy tool for reaching out in politics and change. JFK, Clinton had this advantage in thier day. I'm for obama in that so far he seems very competant in the run-up, he's not as institutionalised as most of the main runners, and basically accessable to more classes of americans than the rest. And he's younger.

Huckabbee, NO.

Thats me until the candidates are in. Apparantly the Republicans are gonna take forever on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back