US Presidential Elections 2008 (2 Viewers)

Possibly the most embarassing thing I've seen on TV.

Mary Robinson almost lost it on TV just after she came back from Rwanda, she was the first (?) western observer in, she was still in shock from seeing buildings full of machete-ed bodies and was trying very hard to get people to pay attention to what was happening.

She said at the time she was absolutely furious with her self, and I remember thinking she should relax a little.
But, now I am realising in this respect it fucking sucks to be a woman.

If a man had lost it about the Rwanda thing, and banged his fist on the table, with tears rolling down his face saying, "we need to stop the butchery" people would take it seriously.

If a woman does it, its weak an emotional.

Mary Robinson almost lost it on TV just after she came back from Rwanda, she was the first (?) western observer in, she was still in shock from seeing buildings full of machete-ed bodies and was trying very hard to get people to pay attention to what was happening.

She said at the time she was absolutely furious with her self, and I remember thinking she should relax a little.

If a man had lost it about the Rwanda thing, and banged his fist on the table, with tears rolling down his face saying, "we need to stop the butchery" people would take it seriously.

I think that in general people don't want to see the cracks in those they perceive to be leaders. they want them to be human, but they don't want to see their vulnerability except at certain times. That said, a man crying reveals his humanity (depending on what it is, though! He may also be penalised for it) and a woman reveals her frailty, fuelling suspicions that strong women are just brittle and hollow.

The tradeoff, I think, is that while women are seen as nurturers, people don't want nurtuers as political leaders. So the women who tend to 'make it' are those who are better at looking more like leaders and less like nurturers, maintaining the mutual exclusivity. If we could get beyond the gender stereotyping we'd have better leaders all around.

Remember, too, that Howard Dean was frequently criticised for getting 'too emotional' in his presidential campaign. It's a factor of not wanting candidates to be 'too emotional' combined with watching very carefully what Hilary does, since she's the first person without a penis to get as far as she has.

That said, do you think people would really have got upset with Mary Robinson for crying about witnessing genocide? I mean, it's not the same as getting upset during an election.

I think I'd be more likely to trust someone who can engage with his or her emotions, as long as they kept them in check. If someone isn't emotionally devastated by genocide, I'm not sure I can trust them to do things to prevent it from happening again.

Yeah.
I am not suggesting that seeing Genocide, smelling the rotting meat, hearing the stories there is comparable to fucking up your campaign, of course.
I am just reminded of that incident on Prime Time / Today Tonight or whatever it was called, and how angry Robo was with herself for *almost* losing it, and how there is a double standard.

You had Bertie crying on TV about how he was caught monkeying around with his "loans" and everyone said aaaaaah, poor Bertie, sure he's human.

And you had Robo, getting off a plane, washing the blood off her shoes, straight into RTE, begging the government to fucking do something, but terrified to show too much emotion because she things it will damage her case.

Like you said, to be a woman in Politics, you have to be a flinty, tough fighter. To be a man, well, everything is ok.

Fisting is not the same as crying. And in some countries, it is considered to be a leadership quality.
659.jpg

I thought Mary crying that time was amazing and touching. She was crying in outrage and anger at the injustice of it all. And I reckon she was kicking herself over it more because she's usually such a composed and strong person rather than because she's a woman and it made her appear weak.

Hillary on the other hand just looked like she was whinging.

To almost everyone, Robo's reaction was totally reasonable, but to her, it was unacceptable. She was angry at displaying what she felt was weakness. And there is a real reason that she thought this, that she couldn't be seen crying.

I am actually really keen that Hilary doesn't get the nomination. I would like her to lose. But, the way that elements of the media here have seized it, makes me uncomfortable. I dont like their tone.

Just as I didnt like the tone they use to slate dickheads like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, there is this nasty gloating sexist subtext running through the commentary.

I want to see Clinton out, but not that way.

Moved to 40% - 37% now. 47% declared.. My god this is riveting. I've been told to "go to cnn.com on my laptop and keep refreshing" about 35 times already by Anderson Cooper.

Clinton seems to have it.

Fuck.

edit : "Sixty-seven percent of Democratic primary voters are over the age of 40, and they are breaking heavily for Clinton over Obama."

Yeah. Old people like Hilary. I have noticed that.
Fucking old people.

Stay off the internets, and away from the polling booth.
You'll just get yourself in trouble.

To almost everyone, Robo's reaction was totally reasonable, but to her, it was unacceptable. She was angry at displaying what she felt was weakness. And there is a real reason that she thought this, that she couldn't be seen crying.

I am actually really keen that Hilary doesn't get the nomination. I would like her to lose. But, the way that elements of the media here have seized it, makes me uncomfortable. I dont like their tone.

Just as I didnt like the tone they use to slate dickheads like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, there is this nasty gloating sexist subtext running through the commentary.

I want to see Clinton out, but not that way.

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. I don't like Clinton for a lot of reasons, but there's this sort of 'with us or against us' thing that makes me uncomfortable. And with the crying thing, one concern I heard was not that she was being a baby, but that she was accused of faking it. She's considered to be frosty, so she turned on some tears to show she wasn't. The six thousand sexist undertones there -- I don't know where to start. But really, what's the point? She got upset. Big deal. Doesn't make her a useless candidate. She just isn't the person I'm gonna vote for.

IF MY FRICKING BALLOT EVER ARRIVES. Gettin' nervous now that it won't get here in time. Ordered it about a month ago.

disclaimer: i only saw the brief snippet on the news, but...

the fact that clinton got weepy while surrounded by women and a guy holding a baby made it look staged.

Pajo's Junkbox.

Wow. He was like Roland Rat. Only from Dublin.

I would say Pajo would have burst Roland though.

We both mentioned Roland Rat yesterday completely independent of each other. Does that mean we win a prize or is something terrible going to happen? Have the prophecies been fullfilled? Roland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back