US Presidential Elections 2008 (5 Viewers)

Sorry o ignore the rest of your post but Ron Paul is very very very bad. I was more taking the piss out of the web's obsession with the man.

I know. That's the scary bit! He even wants to limit contraception, which makes him worse than a lot of the others, considering he has this overall "government out of your business" stance. Uh, except he wants your jimmy hat?

And anyway, that was the gist of my post anyway, just a typically long-winded gist.

I used to sort of jolly myself along with "ah sure, it can't get any worse can it?? ha ha ha ha".
But... like Guialini.

Oh. Oh right. It possibly could get worse. Heh. ha. sob.
Huckabee is close though. He gets off far too lightly, because... well, he is not Guiliani. Or Bush. That doesn't automatically make him not a cunt. He still is a cunt. Make no mistake.

Kucinich is actually a good guy. So is Obama I feel. I would take Kucinich over Obama though.
Unfortunately this country is not even remotely a democracy, or even makes any attempt at being one. So, people wont have chance to vote for him.

So, Obama vrs Clinton?
Christ. I really dont like Clinton. I'd almost prefer McCain.

She'll probably win.
Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

edit I seem to have screwed up my text formatting there. Sorry.

But think about it -- President Huckabee? No way.

If we were a democracy, Kucinich would be a shoo-in. He's not presidential, though, he's too small and quirky and pro-average-Joe. The average Joes as a whole don't have enough confidence to believe that anyone has their best interest in mind, so most just vote for the one who will push big policies that might trickle down to their/our benefit, which never happens. And no wonder! It's not happened since Roosevelt. And if it were a democracy in a real sense, it would matter a lot less who was President because the system of checks and balances would be effective enough to offset Executive powers.

Studs Terkel for President. Studs backs Obama, by the way.

The US is hardly a democracy. I've come to the conclusion that any country that is run by someone who calls himself "President" is a dictatorship. President Musharraf, President Mugabe, President Bush. (France doesn't count because they don't just have a president, although Sarkozy is no people power person.) It's all DEMO-CRAZY.

That's what makes me sad, though, that the realisation that the US is not a democracy could easily make you not vote, and yet if you don't vote at least for the lesser of the evils, there's even less chance of it moving any closer to becoming one.

I get really sad when I think about what's happening. Free? Hardly.

The scariest thing is how easily a lot of Americans have adapted to the deprivation of personal freedoms in exchange for a false perception of 'safety'. I mean, it seems minor, but think about how easily we all adapted to not being able to take a bottle of water through airport security. Think about how easily Americans have adopted to having metal detectors everywhere and being searched and spied on, and yet it's not making anyone safer anyway? People give up their power so easily it's not even funny.

What is pretty amazing, when you look at it, is the array of creatures vying for the Republican nomination.

Freaks and ghouls. Its like some evil army out of a Superman III.

rudyorvampire.jpg

rudyorvampire2.jpg

No Mr Obama. I expect you to die.

People give up their power so easily it's not even funny.

Yup.
I'll get slagged off for saying this, blah blah, but I never understood how a whole nation of people could fall for the stories that Nazi's spun. It was my all time mystery number 1 for years. I thought about it all the time, over and over, how the fuck did they fall for that? A whole country? I was in Germany for a while even, and I still had no idea how it could have happened.

I completely understand how you corral a people into a certain mindset now though. How easy it is to do in fact.
It is amazing how easy it is to control people, how they fall into line.

Still. It could be worse. China.

Yup.
I'll get slagged off for saying this, blah blah, but I never understood how a whole nation of people could fall for the stories that Nazi's spun. It was my all time mystery number 1 for years. I thought about it all the time, over and over, how the fuck did they fall for that? A whole country? I was in Germany for a while even, and I still had no idea how it could have happened.

I completely understand how you corral a people into a certain mindset now though. How easy it is to do in fact.
It is amazing how easy it is to control people, how they fall into line.

Still. It could be worse. China.

What scares me even more is that Hitler was elected when Germany was in a mess. There's no way to understand how people fell for all of the shit, just like there's no way to understand how Rwandans killed their own neighbours, how it's possibly going to be something like that in Kenya -- it's just not ever possible to understand. But in the US, everything was FINE. It was all going really fucking WELL and things were improving and Clinton balanced the budget, and then along comes Bush and he gets in, not once, but TWICE.

Absolutely insane. I just can't believe that seven years ago, if someone had told us that there would be metal detectors at every public building, that you'd have to take your shoes off at airport security, etc, I'd be all, "Uh, where'd you read that? Scrawled on the wall in Room 101?" Wouldn't fucking believe it.

And now look at how much it takes to shock us all, even those of us who feel like we're a bit more aware, or at least concerned with what's going on. What shocked us even two months ago is just normal practice now.

Fucking hell. WHERE IS KEN STREMSKY WHEN WE NEED HIM?

I like this guy. He's not even allowed back into the US: http://minorcandidates.com/shepard.php

I wanna know who designed his retro chic website: http://www.jackshepardforpresident.com/

Actually, Ru Paul bad too.

Except in the film where he was a gym instructor.

Or did I dream that?

Anyway, the election thingy. It's turd sandwich/giant douchebag time again.

Holy fuck.
He has and all.

Clinton is fighting Edwards for 2nd place. Edwards looks like he has it.
Hilary Clinton, you gobshite.

Guiliani trails the Republican vote with 4%.

Oh man. I dont mind kissin. But... I'd hate da'

America does this though. Gets your hopes up, and then elects Bush. Again.

I would be funny if they still had the vote rigging thing on the ballots, and Bush won Florida again. Fox would be thrilled.

Result. Hilary third. I was hoping Obama would win. I like Edwards too.

I think (hope) that you're being overly pesamistic.There's no such thing as a perfect democracy. The fact is that the American people have an opportnuity to elect a new president. The people seem to be waking up to the serious damage Bush has done domestically and internationally and seem in the mood for a change. If they make the right decision, things will improve worldwide. If you think a president can't make a difference, look back on Bush's record and think again.

Huckabee though, fuck me.

Lots of American people were awake before Bush, just not enough to make a human win by enough for Bush not to steal it, but absolutely, way more of them are awake now! People who don't normally caucus were out for Obama, which is amazing.

However, a lot of these people were awake in 2004, too, and what they learned was that even if people vote for someone new, there's gonna be another Florida,which in 2004 was Ohio, it's just that no one was shocked anymore. I also heard from election monitors that it happened in Florida again, too, just not on the scale it had in 2000.

I think the problem is that enough people are awake to make a difference, and they know their votes count, but they don't count as much as they used to -- they're worried because they've seen their votes overridden by corrupt megalomaniacs.

They will elect someone new, but look at the damage that's already been done. I think people are realising that the time for change was 4 years ago, and the exponential increase in damage over the last three years is almost too much to bear. Even the best president on earth can't make enough changes to fix shit in 4 years, or even 8 years.

It's good news about Giuliani. If he'd got in, we'd have a serious fucking 1930s Germany on our hands, and make no fucking mistake. That man is a MONSTER the likes of which no horror movie could ever invent.

And President Huckabee? Fucking hell. If we had a president called Huckabee, we'd finally have disappeared in a puff of humourless smoke. How do you even move on from that? Huckabee?

Anyone who wants to overturn Roe V Wade is not acknowledging what happens when abortion is made illegal. It's not like here, where you can go to England (not that that's ideal). It's already easier to get to England from Ireland than to get from southern Alabama to Birmingham, to the only Planned Parenthood clinic that still does abortions). Offering to overturn Roe v Wade is pretty much saying "I will trade the lives of young, frightened poor women for your vote, thanks very much."

not to radically alter the thread too much i hope
but this seems as good a place as any

i think that the one thing that the american prochoice movement sometimes fails to realise is that roe v wade was a fundamentally undemocratic move (ie a judgement made by unelected supreme court judges) based on very shaky legal reasoning (the presiding judge in a 1992 bbc interview said he read into 'the lacuna' of the constitutional right to privacy that the state could not intervene to prevent abortion).

it was made at a time when the court was mostly made up of liberally minded judges, and some of the other judges involved have spoken about personal experiences that informed their decision. fine. up until around the 1930s, the supreme court had been dominated by conservatives, who struck down a lot of progressive redistributive policies in the name of 'the right to property'. this was simply the outcome of a swing to more progressively minded legal experts making their way to the top of their profession. many liberal legal theorists, notably ronnie dworkin, celebrated this 'judicial activism' as the means by which new rights would be progressively created to protect people from the tyranny of government.

but in the aftermath of roe v wade the anti-choice movement were not happy. first they tried to challenge the constitution (!) before realising they'd have better success in politically supporting presidential candidates who would appoint conservative judges. it started with reagan, who was elected with the help of many anti-choice democrats. and that's more or less why the evangelical movement has grown so strong in the presidential races, and why the republican party has become the christian right party.

so saying 'i will overturn roe v wade' means 'i will appoint conservative judges to the supreme court', which means 'i want the votes from this massive political machine which was established as a result of roe v wade'.

in effect, if you think that the judicial activism which allowed the right to abortion to be created is ok, then you have to accept that the same mechanism can be used to overturn it. pandora's box is already open.

YES!!! I wasn't going nuts!!!

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Fresh off endorsing Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee last month, actor Chuck Norris has penned a fundraising e-mail Tuesday on behalf of the Arkansas Republican, and he's making several demands.

"The first thing I need you to do today is make a contribution in support of Mike Huckabee's campaign," the "Walker Texas Ranger" star writes in the e-mail carrying the subject “Mike Huckabee is Chuck Norris approved”.

"The second thing I need you to do today is ask at least one friend to make a contribution to Mike's campaign," Norris continues. "The third and final thing I need you to do today is to tell your friends and family members that aren't able to contribute at this time to Mike's campaign to at least sign up for his email updates."

Norris endorsed Huckabee late last month, declaring in his online column, "I believe the only one who has all of the characteristics to lead America forward into the future is ex-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee."

Huckabee registered 10 percent in the latest national CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll of registered Republicans. But the former Arkansas governor is doing considerably better in the early-voting state of Iowa. The latest American Research Group poll of likely Iowa GOP caucus-goers places him in second place with 19 percent — trailing former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney by 8 percentage points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back