Things I wont miss when I leave home... (1 Viewer)

HARD LIFE IN THE COUNTRY - The Fall
It's hard to live in the country
In the present state of things
Your body gets pulled right back
You get a terrible urge to drink

At three a.m.
The stick people recede
The locals get up your nose
And leather soles stick on cobble stones

It has a delicate ring
Nymphette new romantics come over the hill
It gets a bit depressing

Paper local
Drunken scandal
Publish your address as well
Locals surround where you dwell
Old ladies confiscate your gate railings
For government campaigns

Its tough in home country
Councils hold the ring
D. Bowie look-alikes
Permeate car parks
Grab the churches while you can
Port-a-loos
Yellow cabins by methodist doors
New Jersey car parks permeated by
D. Bowie [sound-alikes]

It's good to live in the country
You can get down to real thinking
Walk around look at geometric tracery
Hedgehogs skirt around your leathered soles
Fall down drunk on the road

Look at yourself as a man
The valley rings with ice-cream vans

Leather soles stick on precinct flagstones
Small up town Americas like your outskirt town

The villagers
Are surrounding the house
The locals have come for their due

I'm an easy target for you jumped-up drunken Neanderthals. Thankfully I feel at home in civilised society.

I would slag you, but I find it hard to slag someone I take pity on. Would you like some grain?

You do have natural rhythm - I'll give you that.

We're mighty storytellers too

And we know our place , depsite our posturing we are too afraid to speak out of turn

a little bit of grain for the babbies boxty, sure'n it would be an honour your lordship

i mean i know it could be worse. i could live in wales. LOL

Too true. Even Donegal is cool compared to North Wales. Jill explained the reason for the smiley face spot on. :)

I loved living in the country as a young un- I was well, into nature and played outside , went exploring all that stuff

As a teenager it was the bleakest most depressing period of my life- the crushing boredom the slate grey Donegal skies, day after day after day

Now after living in and around the city for the last 15 years or so I'd love to move back to the country- for the frolicking and the strawberries

not Donegal though

grey skies, day after day after day.....

I've been to your neck of the woods in the winter and I'd imagine it was pretty depressing alright.

T
I've been to your neck of the woods in the winter and I'd imagine it was pretty depressing alright.

In fairness- it is beautiful in good weather

but thats such a rare thing.

i might have mentioned the grey skies....

The boredom that was the worst thing though

I grew up in rural Ireland. I lived on the road into New Ross so we were only a 15 minute walk away from the town itself which meant that having your own transport wasn't really necessary.

I found it frustrating when I was a teenager, had plenty battles with the parents over various issues (none that particularly serious). I realised from around the age of 12 that music was going to be the obsession of my life so I took various part-time jobs at every opportunity to give me spending money for records and stuff.

Back then, Dublin seemed magical. I would go up there every couple of
months to buy records and go to gigs and always looked forward to getting away from the small town. I was delighted to move out when I was 19. The sense of freedom was great but naturally it wears off over time.

As already said, you need to leave home to appreciate it. Now it's great to home for a weekend or even longer.

You need to hang in there and realise that it's not forever. Parents generally have your best interests at heart, even if their idea of how you should turn out may be radically different to what you want to be.

e and the farmer get on fine
Through stormy weather and bottles of wine
If I pull my weight hell treat me well
But if Im late hell give me hell
And thought its all hard work no play
Farmer is a happy crook
Jesus hates him everyday
cause jesus gave and farmer took

{wont he let you go? } probably no
{why does he treat you so? } I just dont know
Me and the farmer like brother, like sister
Getting on like hand and blister
Me and the farmer

Hes chpped down shppe, planted trees
And helped the countryside to breathe
Ripped up fields, bullied flocks
And workded his workers right around the clock

It may seem strange but hed admit
Intentions arent exactlly true
And through God loves his wife a bit
He hates the farmer through and through

Me and the farmer like brother, like sister
Getting on like hand and blister
Me and the farmer

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures gr3eat and small
All weve got is london zoo
cause farmer owns them all

Get back to building my folly. I demand to see a 40ft obelisk in honour of my great aunt on the top of your "fairy" hill by next Wednesday.

A word to the wise , if i may speak freely?

The local people respect you and all that but to ask them to face the wrath of the little people, why Im afeared they might turn on you sir

Old Jamesy swears that the one time he cut a switch form thon fairy fort he was struck dead on the spot

We shouldnt mess with things we dont understand

In fairness- it is beautiful in good weather

but thats such a rare thing.

i might have mentioned the grey skies....

The boredom that was the worst thing though

Ah I've been there during teh summer too, wow. I remember fishing on the landward side of Gola one time with me da and going for a swim in turqoise luke warm water.

Ah I've been there during teh summer too, wow. I remember fishing on the landward side of Gola one time with me da and going for a swim in turqoise luke warm water.

::clef::"Báidín Fhelimidh, d'imigh go Gola..

Báidín Fheilimidh, 's Feilimidh ann.."::clef::

everybody!

What nlgbbbblth said - my experience of this shit seems to be v similar to his. Try not to be so angry and enjoy your situation as best you can, leaving home to go to the city or abroad is a deadly buzz but soon enough that too becomes routine and if you don't learn to deal with minor annoyances like wacky parents and pink tracksuits you're going to be pissed off your whole life

having had the pleasure of many conversations with both roisin and michelle, i can say with absolute certainty that they are both more intelligent, witty, honest and wise than many who are a decade - or more - older than them.

frankly, the snide put-downs and disrespectful attitude they get on here from certain posters purely on account of - an often miniscule and always meaningless - age difference is pretty pathetic.

I agree. Don't be slagging the young ones.

I'm older than all you cunts*, and do I slag you? I do not.

*apart from egg, who is the two thousand year old man.

Poor Roisin. You sound a bit stressed these days. Are you doing exams this this summer and going to college or something next year?

The best way to be taken seriously if you're at the young end of the family is to wait until your bros have kids and then completely outcool them as an aunty.

I heard that egg has recently moved into a house that is an exact replica of newgrange.

here's an early promo photo of Stoat

eg_ancient_painting_225x150.jpg

there's a thread elsewhere about whether Ireland is beautiful or not. I think this comment sums it up. On a warm sunny day on our miles of beautiful coastline, there is nowhere that tops it. I remember lying in short grass on blaisceid mor last year on the warmest day of the year, with headland, sky and sea in every direction it was beyond beautiful.

i just moved back to the country after four and half years in dublin. i think it's deadly. i frolic constantly (for three miles this morning).
when i ws 17 i hated it with a passion though. amazing how much your attitudes can change in a short space of time.

I know where I live looks lovely in the summer and even in the winter some times...
(sorry if the pics look like there trying to be artsy, me ma got a bit mad with the digital camera when we got it for her)

This is from the front of the house... (around this time of year)
View attachment 4457

The front yard during dusk at the summer
View attachment 4456

River flooded down the fields agees ago.
View attachment 4458

Notice the absince of houses.

I know where I live looks lovely in the summer and even in the winter some times...
(sorry if the pics look like there trying to be artsy, me ma got a bit mad with the digital camera when we got it for her)

This is from the front of the house... (around this time of year)
View attachment 4457

The front yard during dusk at the summer
View attachment 4456

River flooded down the fields agees ago.
View attachment 4458

Notice the absince of houses.

beautiful
you should run retreats for burned out losers from thumped

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back