Things I wont miss when I leave home... (1 Viewer)

I really hate being isolated. and you can give me and rois shit for complaining. its not fucking meadows and frollocking, its lonliness, unwelcoming, armed robberies, maintaining friends is hard cuz every relationship is a long distance one, and being under the constant thumb of your parents is awful, esp if they're the facist catholic type. perhaps you have a wonderful hippy image of the countryside but our reality is shit.

I think what both of ye fail to realise is that ye aren't the only ones who live in the country and crave freedom. Loads of people here probably had the same feelings when they were your age. The whole lets go on thumped and complain then give out when someone has a go gets a bit repetitive after a while. I'm sure at this stage you both know what to expect in reply to these posts. Imagine yas didn't have the internet at all.

Life is shit you just gotta make the most of what you got. :)

PS: Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go.

i think you have the same idea of Dublin being some sprawling metropolitan utopia, ask any Dub directions to the nearest good thing to do and they'll prob send you to Bus Aras to get a bus out.

Nah not really, Dublin is deadly, still not perfect buh
wouldn't mind living in the stix as long as there was reliable regular reasonable transport. like in kilcoole and newcastle.
i do happen to go to town more than just the 8th of december clonan attack! no way would i live there either. at least not permanantly anyway. places like dalkey and blackrock are nice though. but i think i'd like to get out of this country

I think what both of ye fail to realise is that ye aren't the only ones who live in the country and crave freedom. Loads of people here probably had the same feelings when they were your age. The whole lets go on thumped and complain then give out when someone has a go gets a bit repetitive after a while. I'm sure at this stage you both know what to expect in reply to these posts. Imagine yas didn't have the internet at all.

listen to Dt. Optimistic there. play the hand your dealt, fuck it like. wont be like that forever so try enjoy it and make the most of it while you wait. look forward to when the time comes for you to move.

i hear hero kills the time..

.....no wait, that's people. heroin kills people.

Our youngest is actually referred to as 'go to the shops boy'. He now lives away from our folks, with me, and he is still go to the shops boy. When all our family have grandchildren and he's a decrepid elderly dude, we still intend to make him go to the shops. The youngest deserve this. It'll teach them a valuable lesson.

haha, what for later life?
I'm sure yr bro is wise to it and has a cunning plan.

are you the youngest? We still get my little sister to do stuff when we're all home together, and she does it - ahah, totally learned behaviour.

By the way, she's 27.

So there's no escape.

i was and still am the do everything girl.

and i don't live with my parents or brother and sisters, haven't for a few years now.

being the youngest, like, totally blows.!cheezy

haha its just like in that thread where you can say anything and put a smilie after n get away with it.
I know you think im an ungrateful jerk and its my own fault like. i dont dare whinge aloud cuz my parents spent years trying to get planning permission. It'd be sound to hear from people who do empathise and have advice on how to make the best of the situation, rather than try look cool by taking the piss out of me and roisin.
I think people being rude over thumped gets a bit repetitive after a while, and i don't mean you moose. but sure ive toyed with the idea of hiding my age because immediatly whenever i say something im greeted with OH YOU SAY THAT NOW HO-HO or KIDS THESE DAYS EH and never offered any real advice or comfort. ive grown pretty fed up with it.

i mean i know it could be worse. i could live in wales. LOL

heres a deadly bit of advice my own mammy imparted onto me - nothing stays the same. Might sound like a shit and trite piece of advice but it's gotten me through some crappy times. So things might be rubbish at the moment, but they won't be rubbish for ever, and you pair have loads of fab stuff to look forward to.

michelle, i can see where you're coming from.
but i can also see that moose has a point.
i consider both of you friends so here's what i think.

i don't think moose "gets away with it" because of using smiley faces..
from interacting with moose myself i think he usually says things to the point but in a friendly way. perhaps this is what he's doing here..? this it the internet after all and everything is read with a preconceived or misunderstood idea of the tone.

like you and roisin have said you're both mature and have cop on.
but (and sorry to do this) i remember at 17 and 18 thinking i was so mature and i was really adult now. and in ways yeah you are but people are still growing and maturing, even as adults. i know i still am.

i know we live in completely opposite environments but i feel that i too have tough situations in my house, have to deal with a big enough age/mind gap with my parents too but i to avoid making it a major point in all my posts on thumped. and maybe this is because i'm a few years older i dunno. i don't think most of the people who have replied to your recent threads are intentionally trying to condescend to either of you, but it's such a tricky thing to write what you think and express it without the risk of sounding whatever what you or roisin expect us to sound.
does that make any sense?

i think what some people on here are getting is that when you don't have the house comforts of living with your parents and family you might think back about how it really wasn't so bad at all.

actually here. forget that last one.

if i was talking to you in person i would say if you don't want to deal with "condescending" replies that you'll retort back to in an equally belligerent way then don't start threads about how much your parents suck! :):):):):):):):):):eek:!baggyyyy!ironyyy!ironyyy.|..|:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);););):):):):D:D!bing!bing!bing!bing!cheezy!cheezy

i used loads of smilies so it makes it okay.

like you and roisin have said you're both mature and have cop on.
but (and sorry to do this) i remember at 17 and 18 thinking i was so mature and i was really adult now. and in ways yeah you are but people are still growing and maturing, even as adults. i know i still am.

i agree with both of jill's posts here (must spread rep etc).

and i'm not sure how much of an asshole i've come across as in this regard, but i wasn't having a go.

i've had the dubious fortune of being on the internet since i was 13, with a data trail so full of mortification that i should know better than to ever use my real name now. and if i'm asking questions, they're the sort of thing i wish i'd thought about (or been asked) - not because i'm delusional and imagine i know how either of you think, or that i'm on a misguided quest to save you from something. i dunno. i think one of the characteristic and most annoying things about being a teenager is being only defensive in response to anyone coming from another point of view, and it would be ridiculous if you (or anyone else) could post without the people who disagree or who have seen it from a different perspective being able to respond, otherwise it's a weird and patronising kind of special treatment.

i should shut up and go to bed. but i will add that i've met michelle and thought she was deadly and smart, and i think both of these things are apparent from michelle and roisin's posts here too.

p.s. and one of my favourite things about leaving home is the number of things i love about it now that i didn't notice then - not because i was thick or immature or whatever, but because i was there for so long without choosing it. hooray.

yup, jeremy is the baby and therefore absolutely adored, but ultimately bossed around by his elder siblings.

i remember one time when he was about three i forgot to close the tv room door. i yelled for him (he was upstairs)

he came down and happily bounced into the room; "hi lauren!!"

"hi jellybean. shut the door, will ya?"

"ok!!"

*trots along to the door and closes it behind him.*

i fucking love him to pieces

-i cant boss him around as much anymore as i learnt at christmas when i asked him would he go and make me a cup of tea

I loved living in the country as a young un- I was well, into nature and played outside , went exploring all that stuff

As a teenager it was the bleakest most depressing period of my life- the crushing boredom the slate grey Donegal skies, day after day after day

Now after living in and around the city for the last 15 years or so I'd love to move back to the country- for the frolicking and the strawberries

not Donegal though

grey skies, day after day after day.....

I grew up in the country too. 4 miles from the nearest town. My nearest friend lived nearly 3 miles away. We'd cycle or walk over to visit. Sometimes we'd cycle into town. During the summers we'd work picking strawberries a few days a week. Sociable and it earned us pocket money which we could enjoy spending when we weren't working. If I hadn't anything else to do there was always stuff to be done on the farm.

I feel sorry for people who live in the country in a bungalow on a half acre site though. You don't have any of the space to go roaming and there's not much you can do with a tiny back garden.

ive toyed with the idea of hiding my age because immediatly whenever i say something im greeted with OH YOU SAY THAT NOW HO-HO or KIDS THESE DAYS EH and never offered any real advice or comfort. ive grown pretty fed up with it.

It might not seem like it Michelle, but the fact that both you and Roisin are the age you are means a lot of people give you more leeway than they'd give a person of my age.

Like, if I was doing half the stuff youse get up to I'd be told to cop on all the time!

Seriously but, you're still going through that horrible stage of life called your teens. Everything seems worse than it is. I lived in Portrane until I was 19...Portrane is known for its mental hospital...therefore I was known for its mental hospital. We did have the beach, but by the time I left school I had one person I considered a friend living in a parish of about 5000 people. When you've long hair, wear combats and Docs, and are roundly referred to as "hippy" or worse (ever get the shit kicked out of you for your appearance?) life seems kinda crappy.

Once I got to college it was better...oh wait, I went to UCD...deck show wearing BOP fuckers...

Like, if I was doing half the stuff youse get up to I'd be told to cop on all the time!

yeah but use this to your advantage Roisin et Michelle and do all the dumb things whille you can still look back on it and say "ah yeah, but sure I was only 18, 19, 20, blah blah"

Portrane is known for its mental hospital...therefore I was known for its mental hospital.

The bus I'd get home used to go through their, you'd be there on a sunday morning post monged coming home from down and drive thru the hospital... it was like a warning of things to come...

Leaving home when I turned 18 was the best thing I ever did, and I was pretty happy at home. I learned how to cook waffles and chicken burgers, how to live on 15 quid a week, how to smoke fags, how to get drunk on 3 quid... etc, etc, etc... skills for life like

Here roisin i've got an idea, I sick of the city and my friends, why don't we trade lives for a week ? like that programme on mtv, laguna beach. afterwards we could meet up for a coffee ? pm me.

when i was living in dublin i found i spent most of my spare time down in kilcoole.
i remember one time iw as staying in erin's and at about 1am we were like 'fuck this, let's head down to kilcoole"

it's nice down in the country/

grass is always greener, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back