The Russian invasion of Ukraine (10 Viewers)

What's the deal if there's UK, or some other NATO country's, soldiers in Ukraine?
Various countries including NATO countries are openly staffing, arming, and funding the Ukrainian defense effort.

I get that Russia has its shit list, and we're seemingly on it, but at some point are they just going to decide that other countries have declared war on them?

What's the deal if there's UK, or some other NATO country's, soldiers in Ukraine?
Various countries including NATO countries are openly staffing, arming, and funding the Ukrainian defense effort.

I get that Russia has its shit list, and we're seemingly on it, but at some point are they just going to decide that other countries have declared war on them?
UK MoD have already told their soldiers not to go as their presence could be used for propaganda/justification purposes

thread:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jesus. It's not going ideally for them. How long have those kids been sitting out on the road to Kyiv in sub zero temperatures waiting for diesel.

That general who just got whacked probably spent the last whatever number of years watching the US and shaking his head saying: look at these idiots, out miring themselves in wars of choice they can't win.

It might be trickier to keep news about dead generals quiet.

another primer which fleshes things out some more from 2018.
Pozner has a problem with proportioning blame, thinks Putin's foreign policy was benign until 2007 unlike the USA/NATO, early Putin overtures to join w/ EU and NATO completely rebuffed, Russian trust/cooperation/compromises not reciprocated, Sevastopol fleet in Crimea made Ukraine in NATO a total non runner, US Democrat presidents don't have good track record w/ Russia etc etc

most of this is Pozner taking questions including from two people from Moscow, plus Armenia and Ukraine although one of them wastes his question by having not listened Pozner's cronology of Putin's international policy.

anyone got anything on contemporary domestic Russian issues driving the invasion?

my boss (who is german) was telling me that at his local filling station, petrol is now €2.15 per litre, diesel is €2.10.

1.99 and 1.90 in my local filling station yesterday. Reports this morning that the government will review excise and VAT rates in the next 2 weeks.

This is great succour for the "fuck the greens, the feckin carbon tax is a disaster" crowd.

I'm seriously considering installing a wood burning stove in the sitting room here . If the ruskies switch off the gas its gonna get chilly next winter

This is great succour for the "fuck the greens, the feckin carbon tax is a disaster" crowd.
I'm not sure if this argument holds up because Russia exports gas to Europe, not petrol, but I wonder has Russia just put the gun to the head of Europe and asked them to re-evaluate their energy policy. A new policy is going to have to be nuclear and sustainable. But more electricity centric either way (unless hydrogen becomes a thing I suppose).

I'm not sure if this argument holds up because Russia exports gas to Europe, not petrol, but I wonder has Russia just put the gun to the head of Europe and asked them to re-evaluate their energy policy. A new policy is going to have to be nuclear and sustainable. But more electricity centric either way (unless hydrogen becomes a thing I suppose).
It doesn't matter if it holds up, around here many people are either farmers or farmer adjacent and the attitude to the greens is that they're going to ruin everything with their "nonsense."

It doesn't matter if it holds up, around here many people are either farmers or farmer adjacent and the attitude to the greens is that they're going to ruin everything with their "nonsense."
oh, yeah sorry. I wasn't wondering if your argument holds up, I'd say that's likely. Although thinking about it I wonder how much of a passenger Ireland is in all this and how much the farmers matter. As in Germany and company doesn't give a fuck, they need to maintain their manufacturing base, they'll need to do whatever they can to do that, and if that involves whipping Ireland into shape so be it.

I was wondering if EU energy policy has been forced to be independent from Russia, and likely to be more sustainable as a result of this. Which will kind of lead to generally increased electrification down the road.

There are various thorium reactors being developed worldwide the last few years. Should be online within next few years

1.99 and 1.90 in my local filling station yesterday. Reports this morning that the government will review excise and VAT rates in the next 2 weeks.

a simple solution would be to pick a figure out of their ass, say 1.75/litre and not allow prices rise above/below that, for a fixed period of time. Anything above gets offset by excise. It'd still be pricey but at least it would restore certainty.

a simple solution would be to pick a figure out of their ass, say 1.75/litre and not allow prices rise above/below that, for a fixed period of time. Anything above gets offset by excise. It'd still be pricey but at least it would restore certainty.

Hungary have set a limit of 1.30 I think. Granted lower cost of living/operating costs over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back