The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

IOl' dirty bastard Vlad's girlfriend (b. 1983) a former Olympic champ gymnast with whom he has young kids.
I remember she caused some controversy at the opening ceremony at Sochi 2014, because she had a big role in it, and people asked "why her, who's she?". Then it became known that she's Putin's mot.

Or am I mixing her up with someone else?

I suppose she was partly right as a woman wrote the article. apologies for calling her 'he'.
again, the bottom line is NATO'S actions between 1990 and 2013-14 are the genesis of this war.
some of the stuff she said was far away from anarchist politics and I'm surprised Freedom published this.
I’d say the genesis of this war is the majority of people in the former Soviet republics don’t want to be client states of Russia like Belarus. The ‘it’s all natos fault’ is a bit simplistic.
NATO expansion is a major factor in all this, but far from the only component, and ultimately NATO membership wouldn’t be attractive if the countries involved didn’t see Russia as a threat

I’d say the genesis of this war is the majority of people in the former Soviet republics don’t want to be client states of Russia like Belarus. The ‘it’s all natos fault’ is a bit simplistic.
NATO expansion is a major factor in all this, but far from the only component, and ultimately NATO membership wouldn’t be attractive if the countries involved didn’t see Russia as a threat
yeah BUT NATO should not have gotten involved in the Warsaw Pact nations - PERIOD!
I am going keep saying this here as long as it keeps coming up.

what happened between Berlin and Moscow 80 years ago was genocide on a scale we cannot begin to imagine. people in that area are still scared regardless of nationality.

even Russian soldiers were only told they were going into Ukraine at the last moment. they thought the exercises
were nearly over.

if 'the west' had treated Russia as a partner and eastern European folks with respect since the 1990's then Putin or a Putin type figure would not have come to power.

the USA blockades Cuba which is no threat to them but they still just don't get it about Ukraine being admitted to NATO.

The west signed trade deals and agreed good relations with Ghadaffi's Libya and then US secretary of state Hilary Clinton launched military action which has left the country in ruins.
when Trump broke the nuclear deal with Iran. Europe was furious but then fell in line with the USA anyway.
Yemen is being slaughtered by the Saudi army with western made weapons.

what happened since 2014 in Ukraine is overwhelmingly the Putin's government fault alright. but it should never have come to this.
I suppose this is all history now and what happens next is more important

if 'the west' had treated Russia as a partner and eastern European folks with respect since the 1990's then Putin or a Putin type figure would not have come to power.

I don't disagree with most of what you've written - (in particular reference to libya - and how 'the wests' approach to trying to get regime change on the cheap across MENA after the arab spring has been a disaster for most of the countries involved) - but I think the complexities of the break up of the soviet union, and the multiple crises thereafter we not in the gift of 'the west' to fix.

US/NATO etc may not have been an honest broker through the 90s wrt Russia - but I'm not sure what would have prevent some of the internal crises and cultural shifts in the former USSR that contributed to the rise of Putin (Chechnya, economic collapse, rise of the oligarchs, rise of religious nationalism etc).

US/NATO etc may not have been an honest broker through the 90s wrt Russia - but I'm not sure what would have prevent some of the internal crises and cultural shifts in the former USSR that contributed to the rise of Putin (Chechnya, economic collapse, rise of the oligarchs, rise of religious nationalism etc).

I think America has to bear some responsibility for that in that as I understand it they sent advisors in to help Russia restructure its economy post-communism.

Communion lorry...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

they have to get it from somewhere.

I remember when I was an alter boy the host/wafer used to arrive in big boxes in the post. I think it was made in a convent somewhere.

is this a new militant Catholicism we see??

I remember when I was an alter boy the host/wafer used to arrive in big boxes in the post. I think it was made in a convent somewhere.
Meanwhile protestants prepare the bread by cutting the crust off a sliced pan slice, rolling it out and cutting into small squares. We're famously parsimonious of course.

Meanwhile protestants prepare the bread by cutting the crust off a sliced pan slice, rolling it out and cutting into small squares. We're famously parsimonious of course.

The Catholic church wouldn't miss the opportunity to include an extra bit of religious iconography into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back