The Russian invasion of Ukraine (1 Viewer)

These NYC (or whatever) lads opinions are nice and all. But if you were a Ukrainian, and your country had been invaded, actually invaded, by Russia, country men and women killed by bombs. Would you give a fuck? Or would you want to murder some Russian soldiers and protect your country.

Not a dig at you at all egg and i hope/doubt you would feel that way.

But if your city has turned to rubble, opinion pieces from the West must mean very little.

As does this post.

Yeah I think it might be too late for all that now ... but really war isn't actually winnable for either side. They Russians can just keep lashing in more troops, and the Ukranians can keep fighting them. And then what? I suspect what's described in that article is the end game, it's just a question of how many years of war it'll take to get there

there were claims early on that this would be costing russia 20bn a day (can't remember if it was euros or dollars, but the figure was fuzzy enough to not make a difference, i suspect). if that's true (and i'd be wary about that), it's cost them €300bn so far, in an economy with a GDP of 1.4tn; over 20% of their annual GDP.

but i would assume that a lot of that spend is money that is already allocated or spent; soldier's wages, materiel already purchased, etc.; i wonder what the true cost is?

at face value, it'd be the equivalent of ireland having spent €100bn, or about 5 times the HSE budget.

I was surprised to read that Ireland (26 counties)'s GDP is only a little less than 1/3rd that of Russia.
5 million people versus what 144 million. It is a mind boggling tragedy that a country so huge and populace and stradling Eurasia is so poor.

Ukraine too has (or had) all the potential to be a massively prosperous country but it hasn't yet materialised.

How are the Russians fighting, I ask. "They fight like stupid animals," says Reaper. "They fight like it's 1941 - they have no manoeuvrability, they just come to the front and that's all. They have a lot of people, a lot of tanks, a lot of vehicles, but we are fighting for our land, and we are protecting our families. it doesn't matter how they fight because we fight like lions and they won't win."
In a bed nearby is eight-year-old Dmitry. His toes poke out from under the blanket and a hand, bruised and bloodied peeks out too. His face is scraped and scarred with hundreds of marks, his right eye is not quite closed. A few days ago, the doctors removed a bullet from under his skull and vertebrae.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

there were claims early on that this would be costing russia 20bn a day (can't remember if it was euros or dollars, but the figure was fuzzy enough to not make a difference, i suspect). if that's true (and i'd be wary about that), it's cost them €300bn so far, in an economy with a GDP of 1.4tn; over 20% of their annual GDP.

but i would assume that a lot of that spend is money that is already allocated or spent; soldier's wages, materiel already purchased, etc.; i wonder what the true cost is?

at face value, it'd be the equivalent of ireland having spent €100bn, or about 5 times the HSE budget.

I read somewhere that it's costing them 15bn a day however half of the Russian state finance is kept abroad and now inaccessible due to sanctions and of there domestic based capital half of that is a physical gold reserve.

Today Putin explained to the public that these sanctions were going to happen anyway and Larov stated Russia does not want any strategic dependence on the west. I read also that Russia plans to create its own tightly controlled state internet with the removal of fb and twitter being a precursor to that. It's almost as if it will try to become a completely closed society if that's even possible.

Putin keeps doubling down with his fuck ups.
Fuck it. Pile more bodies in to absorb the bullets.
Internet not looking favourable? Fuck the internet.
Trade relations with the rest of the world not so great? Fuck the rest of the world.
Stock market? Fuck iiiiiiiit.
I'm Putin, and I'm a genius. Everyone tells me that. Fire the generals, I know better.

He's going to try to destroy Ukraine, leave it shattered and fuck off. Russia is going to be fucked for a generation, they'll never back down with him in charge, and they'll get annihilated with sanctions. Because Putin's such a genius.

I was surprised to read that Ireland (26 counties)'s GDP is only a little less than 1/3rd that of Russia.
5 million people versus what 144 million. It is a mind boggling tragedy that a country so huge and populace and stradling Eurasia is so poor.

Ukraine too has (or had) all the potential to be a massively prosperous country but it hasn't yet materialised.
It's almost as if...

Some absolute fucking cunt was on Prime Time there saying any Russian national in Ireland that 'has no connection to diplomacy' should 'absolutely be sent home'. What a fucking piece of shit.
My housemate and best mate is Russian, he's been in Ireland years and isn't able to get citizenship here yet cause he's been trapped a couple of times already by the bullshit 'reset your time' rules around it. He fuckin hates Putin, avoided the army by going to uni, and coaches teenagers in football for free.
It's cunts like your man saying that shit that should be sent straight to the sea.

Yeah I think it might be too late for all that now ... but really war isn't actually winnable for either side. They Russians can just keep lashing in more troops, and the Ukranians can keep fighting them. And then what? I suspect what's described in that article is the end game, it's just a question of how many years of war it'll take to get there

I think this is the playbook the russian's are now following worryingly

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back