The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

good point - I hadn't factored in that in my post above - but having 'non state actors' on the ground to do ones dirty work may be helpful.

however - I don't think they'd (ie Putin and co.) give a fuck what the rest of the world thinks. they are already well into major war crimes territory. and we haven't even got close to the inevitable reprisals etc. on civilians in the areas they are occupying. I think Putin is already at the point where he had nothing to lose. It's grind out a dirty victory of sorts over a couple of years, or escalate.
oh yeah, from the perspective of the rest of the world Putin's never coming back from this. He'll likely never set foot outside of Russia again, Russia is going to be a pariah state at best for the period of time he's running the show.

I meant from the perspective of military reprisals. A chemical incident in Kyiv for example will generate a response, it's just not clear what that response is. At the moment money and humanitarian aid is being sent, some weapons are being supplied, some talk of Migs getting sent in exists. This is all a result of the actions Russia has taken so far, so I'd imagine Putin is working out what the cost/benefit of upping the ante and committing atrocities. What response will these actions induce?

And this calculus goes all the way up to what happens if I nuke population centers in Ukraine. When does that become viable. He knows that there's a line that will escalate things into nuclear exchange, but where is that line.

You'd like to believe there's someone who can put the brakes on. Or that he's not deranged as he's implying he is. That would be a nice thing to believe.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is likely a misleading histogram, there's no error bars. They don't state n, you can't work out variance or statistical power, meaning you can't say if there's any statistically significant going on here.

Typically when studies leave these numbers out it implies there is not enough statistical power in the study, ie it's worthless.

For example, Greens and Aontu apparently don't favour "Yes". But there's going to be fewer people identifying as either of those parties than eg FG or FF, so your sample size is for those groups is going to lack power and likely be screwed up.

It’s categorical data - there would be no error bars? Unless you tried to create a gradient of degrees of yes/no/uncertain?

The n for each subset is a good point -

FNuiY57XMAQ5tyw

Thats horsehit. Most of them arent oligarchs by the Russian meaning of the term.

Eg..Zuckergerg didnt acquire Facebook from the state at a knockdown price... or engage in state facilitated arbitrage on a humongous scale. Not to my knowledge anyway. Actually, Buffet might have done.. who knows

Delete this nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back