The ignorance of some people! (3 Viewers)

aoifed said:
After this thread I re-read loads of the factsheets and publications on the Exchange House and Pavee Point websites last night. Really interesting stuff. Not just dork interesting like.

any note-worthy links?

seanc said:
raging. unbelievable.

Alright, I guess its only fair I have a shot at defending my good name. Here it goes:

I don't hate any group of people. why would I? I've had little experience with travellers. What experience I have had has usually been some kid trying to start a fight or rob me, which pissed me off, or seeing them in Ballinasloe dump when I was on the bin lorry, rummaging through the piles of rubbish, which saddened me. It looked like something you'd see in the 3rd world.

But, do I hate them? No. why would I? I haven't met every single one of them have I? Statisticly, there should be some sound ones. If I ever meet them, I won't care what there ethnic background is.

People do say prejudicial things on Thumped, don't they? There's also a lot of liberal left wing stuff too, isn't there? I would reckon (and this is only me supposing, but its likely) that if you asked anyone who posts here they would think themselves to be open minded and liberal young people. But that's not entirly true, is it? This thread shows that. And I'm no different. I'm only human, and I can only base my opinions on what I've learned and see and hear. If I ever come across as bigotted or whatever, so be it. I don't WANT to be that way, and I'll work to not be that way, but sure, sometimes it happens. I'm just like everybody else, aren't I?

More importantly, I've better things to do than to go around filled with raging hatred. What's the use in that? Why should I feel like that, and why would I want to feel like that? What justification would I have for that? How would that benefit me?

I don't know if this post made sense to anybody. And I don't really care. But the thrust of my point is this:
I am not filled with raging ethnic hatred.
end of story

it's funny how you're so outraged by a joking exaggeration (raging ethnic hatred) that you miss the actual point (that your posts basically trying to justify 'common sense' prejudice against travellers by saying that 'left wing liberals' - whatever that means - are guilty of something too) and then end up reinforcing it by continuing to talk about travellers like they're some other lifeform.
nonetheless, it's very gracious of you to pity the poor.

La La said:
i used to want to be a traveller when i was little. cos they had those deadly wagons and horses.

anyway, roisin, to go back to your first comment - does the fact that the people who parked in the disabled spot turned out to be travellers bother you more than the actual parking in the disabled space?
like, if it had been some rich investment wanker would it have bothered you less?? just wonderin'.

I'm pretty curious as to the answer to this question too.

Great opportunites on the FÁS site for travellers:

http://www.fas.ie/jbframe.htm

Retrieve Job Details

Todays/Earlier Jobs = Todays Vacancies Full / Part Time Jobs = Full Time Vacancies or Full Time Vacancies Results : 163 Jobs Job 16 of 163[previous] [next] [Info employer] Source: Employer / Job created on :- 20060313 / Job Updated on :- 20060313 Knackery Person

Job Reference: JB268271Description:
Experience as either an Abbatoir or a Butcher is essential. Duties to include dealing with dead cattle. No. of Jobs:1Contract type: Permanent / Full TimeDays per week: 6Hours per week: 48 Daily Hours: Variable Start date: immediate End date: May 06 RequirementsExperience Required:Fully Experienced. Salary:9ph EuroOther Benefits:Free Accommodation Location : CastletownrocheClosing Date:03/04/2006Other Information, Interview Arrangements or contact person for this vacancyCan you please telephone 022 25457 for further information. Employer:Jim Barrett .Ballydoyle,Castletownroche ,Mallow ,Co. Cork .Tel:022 25457Fax:022 25458 E-Mail:[email protected]

La La said:
anyway, roisin, to go back to your first comment - does the fact that the people who parked in the disabled spot turned out to be travellers bother you more than the actual parking in the disabled space?
like, if it had been some rich investment wanker would it have bothered you less?? just wonderin'.

c'mon roisin, a couple of people want to hear your views on this.

La La said:
c'mon roisin, a couple of people want to hear your views on this.

I reckon everyone's been firmly put in their place about this whole mess of a thread.
It's not really fair to force Róisín to account for it now, since she's not the only person who said things that could be construed as prejudiced. It's something that she wrote in a pissed off mood, two days ago. Know what I mean?

seanc said:
I reckon everyone's been firmly put in their place about this whole mess of a thread.
It's not really fair to force Róisín to account for it now, since she's not the only person who said things that could be construed as prejudiced. It's something that she wrote in a pissed off mood, two days ago. Know what I mean?

hang on a sec........she created a thread about travellers parking in a disabled space and i asked a very fair question.
no i dont know what you mean, and i'm fairly sure roisin can speak for herself. it seems like you're trying to be gallant here and save her from some kind of gauntlet, but she's a smart chick, and anyway im not trying to be threatening. i asked a simple question, there's no reason she shouldn't answer it.

you said "it's not fair to force her to account for it now"

wow.

imagine if it was ok for everyone to do that.

"ah sure i said i hated blacks and gays two days ago, but i dont have to justify it now"

anyway shouldn't you be in bed?

ah now!
I should be in bed. But I'm not. Had three hours sleep this evenng, and none the night before, so I'm all over the shop sleep-wise.

I just don't see what it would achieve. Roisin didn't answer your question yesterday, why are you still forcing the issue? Know what I mean?
Gallantry? No. I'm sure Roisin is well able to speak for herself. I ain't galloping in on no mighty steed here. I just want this thread to die because these sorta threads always bring out the worst in people.

seanc said:
ah now!
I should be in bed. But I'm not. Had three hours sleep this evenng, and none the night before, so I'm all over the shop sleep-wise.

I just don't see what it would achieve. Roisin didn't answer your question yesterday, why are you still forcing the issue? Know what I mean?
Gallantry? No. I'm sure Roisin is well able to speak for herself. I ain't galloping in on no mighty steed here. I just want this thread to die because these sorta threads always bring out the worst in people.

sean, the point is she started a thread while i was on bed over on the other side of the world, i read it, found it rather interesting, and asked a question. shock horror! THAT'S WHAT THUMPED IS FOR.

i dont care if you want this thread to die, and maybe you do on your own agenda cos i noticed you getting berated a few pages back. that's your problem/business.

if "these sorta threads bring out the worst in people" why are you here? and all the time, for that matter?

Because my computer is on all the time. I think its all pretty fascinating and informative and interesting too. It just has the potential to get messy.

but whatever. I don't wanna stop anybody from doin anything. I've said what I wanted to say...............

seanc said:
I just want this thread to die because these sorta threads always bring out the worst in people.

Absolutely not true.

ramps said:
i deal with a lot of travellers at work. they are all very decent people. i have two young lads on my own personal caseload. very nice lads. considering how hard you people try and portray yourselves as ultra pc and with it. this thread so far is simply propogating a tired negative stereotype.

stop dissing the travellers and cop the fuck on.

seanc said:
I just want this thread to die because these sorta threads always bring out the worst in people.

i agree. the majority of irish people choose to ignore the extent of anti-traveller racism on a daily basis and i definately think people should be called to account and argued with on these issues.

seanc said:
any note-worthy links?

can't find an internet link to it but if you want a good overview of anti-traveller racism in ireland you should look up Bryan Fanning (2002) Racism and Social Change in the Republic of Ireland, chapters 6 and 7. it covers govt. reports and policy, media, health and education issues, housing, etc.

wickedtinkers1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back