The ignorance of some people! (1 Viewer)

Lefty Frizzell said:
so does anyone know why most itinerants have hoarse voices?

whisky and soapbar is murder on the voicebox.
and to answer your question, not really, but I'll keep an ear cocked.

Personally any experiences/interactions I have had with travellers have been positive - in school, playing sport etc. A settled traveller family are neighbours to my parents and are a decent bunch of people.

There is an unruly element within the community and they garnish themselves a lot of bad publicity but this does not make it fair to discriminate against all of them.

Roisin said:
Try having them rob strawberries off you when your selling them?
(this was in waterford)

Seeing them burn grey hounds?

Having them annoy you in primary school every day by pulling your hair?

Wonder why they took over the farmers land down the road and then burned caravans on it?

Seeing horses die from being over ridden through pony traps?

Seeing them get concil houses bulit only to distory them and move on when theres people on waiting lists?

Last night was the last straw!

I also realise that other people may do things like this but they seem to be the only people at this in my area.

Roisin, thats pretty silly to judge all of them by a small amount of the groups actions. It's like saying that all white people are racists and that all black people are drug dealing gang members. Off course there are some dickhead travellers but they don't represent the whole traveller community.

Ciaran Mackle said:
Roisin, thats pretty silly to judge all of them by a small amount of the groups actions. It's like saying that all white people are racists and that all black people are drug dealing gang members. Off course there are some dickhead travellers but they don't represent the whole traveller community.

But what happens if only 1 family out of 20 is sound?

The Scientician said:
Roisin - Did ya call the Guards on them?

No I did not, I did not want to cause hassle .On the way out from town my brother refused to stop at the station on the way out from town as he believed it was a situation that the ticketman should deal with. It then dawned on me that I should have videoed them getting back into it! But I was afraid to stick around.

To the person who just gave me clonroche rep, you know how other areas refer to clonroche as knackerville.

ramps said:
ah look, i know they dont do themselves any favours in the p r stakes a lot of the time. until recently, i was in there with the penny for the baaby jokes as much as he next man. its just that ive been working with travellers fairly closely and quite like two families in particular. so im taking a biased stance.

it just annoys me how everyone on here is so "sound and cool" when it comes to some things and at the same time deems it acceptable to slate travellers for no particular reason

Street Punk baby.

Roisin said:
No I did not, I did not want to cause hassle .On the way out from town my brother refused to stop at the station on the way out from town as he believed it was a situation that the ticketman should deal with.

Ah right well when they threatened you that's assault. It went beyond on the realm of them parking in the wrong space when they hurled abuse at ya.

The Scientician said:
when they threatened you that's assault

I'm pretty sure threatening is a threat, not assault.

Reminds me of this time I was in a meeting and we were talking about injecting drugs in prison and this dude goes 'we all know injecting heroin isn't a crime'. Oh how I laughed. On my own. I don't think you're supposed to laugh at your learned colleagues. So sorry, The Scientician. I'm especially sorry if I turn out to be wrong and being threatened is a form of assault.

Roisin you should have citizens arrested them.

ramps said:
ah look, i know they dont do themselves any favours in the p r stakes a lot of the time. until recently, i was in there with the penny for the baaby jokes as much as he next man. its just that ive been working with travellers fairly closely and quite like two families in particular. so im taking a biased stance.

it just annoys me how everyone on here is so "sound and cool" when it comes to some things and at the same time deems it acceptable to slate travellers for no particular reason

it seems like the people who slate/hate travellers the most are people with high populations of the travelling community - like athlone. I've heard people from there say some absolutely psychotic hateful things about travellers.

Personally I grew up a mile away from a traveller hardstand and passed it every day of my life without any trouble, and when i was a 1 year old I took off down the road and a traveller woman found me and brought me home (i hadnt gotten far - like a few hundred yards!). so maybe i'm biased in the opposite direction?

sometimes it seems that Irish people just love to have someone to hate and fear...

The Scientician said:
Ah right well when they threatened you that's assault. It went beyond on the realm of them parking in the wrong space when they hurled abuse at ya.

assault is placing someone in fear of imminent harm. defining 'imminent harm' is difficult. idle threats are clearly not assault. had he been up in her face, maybe. but can you prove that beyond reasonable doubt?

maybe you could get them prosecuted for future crimes? or likely past crimes? i mean, someone needs to tackle all this crime.

love how sean c tries to berate everyone else for being hypocritical cos they don't support his raging ethnic hatred - get some counselling you mental bastard.

oh shit said:
love how sean c tries to berate everyone else for being hypocritical cos they don't support his raging ethnic hatred - get some counselling you mental bastard.
:eek:

I'm just saying is all. I didn't exclude myself from that little observation either. I don't have raging ethnic hatred. I have better things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back