The Household Charge (1 Viewer)

DOWN WITH PRIVATE PROPERTY

You should all be handing over your properties to state control before myself, squiggle and co take it from you by force. housing should be free and allocated on the basis of soundness. the nicer you are the nicer the property you get. incurable cunts can live in clare, other cunts who may be made sound must live surrounded by sound people so that they learn how to be sound.

DOWN WITH PRIVATE PROPERTY

You should all be handing over your properties to state control before myself, squiggle and co take it from you by force. housing should be free and allocated on the basis of soundness. the nicer you are the nicer the property you get. incurable cunts can live in clare, other cunts who may be made sound must live surrounded by sound people so that they learn how to be sound.

Sound.

805,000 people paid this.

Good on them.

But lets face it, thats barely more than half of an estimate thats probably short of the mark. A spectacular failure by any standards. Way to go big Phil!

We're old.
Some of us even watch Harry Hill.

i fucking LOVE Harry Hill! only got "into him" lately mind, those collars always put me off. he's fucking great though, wha'?
i'd a paid his Household Charge for him if they'd threatened to take him off the air.

c'mon everyone, to the tune of the Amanda Lamb song -

"it's all a scam, it's all a scam,
everybody know's it's all a scam.
is it for books, and parks and trams?
everybody knows it's for the banks!"

Campaign Against the Household Tax Monday 2nd April: Picket at City Hall, Dame Street, 6pm

Monday 2nd April: Picket at City Hall, Dame Street, 6pm. The City Council will be discussing a motion opposing the household charge.

Keep up the momentum behind the campaign there are sections of the media who would love a poor turn-out to knock us after the successful march to the FG conference. So turn up and spread the word.

As the March 31 deadline was reached less than half have paid, the government are now claiming that they don't know how many are actually eligible to pay!. This is not because of “confusion” about how to pay. People are deliberately refusing to register for and pay an unjust tax. About 10,000 Anti-Household-Charge protesters marched to the FG conference in Docklands to let the Blueshirts know what we think about their threats. The only people frightened were FG delegates as they saw the thousands who had come from all over Ireland to vent their anger.

Next make your way to City Hall, Dame Street, Dublin 2 at 6 pm on Monday 2nd April.

Everybody knows it starts at €100 and will rise to €1000+, everybody knows the Government are picking the people’s pockets to boost the bondholders’ bank accounts. Mass non-payment of the household tax will not just be a massive blow to an unjust tax it will also be a massive blow to the Government’s entire austerity drive.

Government desperation & threats

The Government are getting desperate. Threats to deduct money from wages, social welfare and bank accounts are a sign of this. They cannot do any of this without changing the law and then bringing people to court. And they cannot take a million people to court.

The household tax app lies to homeowners and your ESB bil l does not prove you own a property. Bringing ESB bills into the equation is another sign of Government desperation.

Huge numbers are not registering and not paying and if a large percentage hold firm the Government are in trouble on this issue. We can win.

No problem with a property tax. Happy to pay more then they're asking if it was fair. Will I pay this charge? No. As I believe scutter has already said, it just strikes me as lazy and arrogant. We'll just ask for it and they'll pay. It reminds me of the decentralization debacile. Mary, Charlie and Bertie get a notion and pump millions into it despite warnings that it probably won't work.

I can afford to pay, but I live in an area where I'd imagine there are plenty of folk who can't afford it. So if that Times article this morning is true, there will be cuts to council funding in my area, but the posh areas will be 'rewarded' with no cuts. ARE THEY SERIOUS?

Fuck 'em.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The videos features Jimmy Kelly, Mick O'Reilly from the Trade Unions, the voices of children, housewives, householders, urban, rural. What ever the issue it was there.

It was a magnificent show of strength, anger, unity and solidarity from around the country. It was the angriest march that I have seen in a long time.
People have had enough.
Become a fan on Facebook
And yes, we are on twitter @tradeuniontv

Best,

Paula Geraghty
Trade Union TV
NUJ/IFJ

https://www.facebook.com/tradeuniontv

The ability of the Irish people to swallow a horse and choke on a gnat never ceases to amaze

Household charge = €100 PA per household = lets for the sake of argument say on average €33 per person
Troika bailout 70,000,000,000 = roughly €17500 per person.

It never ceases to amaze me that we'll put up with a lot of bullshit, but as soon as someone (Phil Hogan) acts the bollox and tries to be a bully-boy, we're up in arms.

I have no interest in the lefty campaigns against this charge. I agree with some of what they're saying but a lot of the reasons they cite are not the reasons I didn't pay. I didn't pay cos the govt (and Phil Hogan in particular) are cunts.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0418/new-esri-research-backs-property-tax.html

They seem to be proposing

"an annual rate of €2.50 per €1,000 of house value"

so anyone with a €100K house (not too many of those in Dublin unfortunately) would be paying €250 per year - i.e. more than double the current charge.

But this doesn't really square with:

"Under this model, the bill would be less than €2 a week for the poorest 30% of households, between €4 and €7 a week for the next 30%, rising to €8 to €10 for the next 30%."

I.e. if you're on the minimum wage and own a €200K house, according to the first quote you'd be paying around €500 and per the second quote it'd be around €100.

Clearly I'm missing something..!

full article:

ESRI suggests full property tax system would be fairer than flat rate charge

Updated: 14:00, Wednesday, 18 April 2012

A full property tax system would be fairer than a flat-rate property charge, according to new research carried out by the Economic and Social Research Institute.

It says a properly designed property tax would be able to exempt low-income groups, such as pensioners and those on social welfare, while charging more to those on higher incomes.

The ESRI has been exploring various options for a property tax.

In particular, the ESRI has been looking at what would be needed to raise the Taoiseach's target of €500m a year for a full property tax, compared with the €160m target for this year's flat-rate property charge.

It says an income-related property value tax could provide such a model, and would need to be set at an annual rate of €2.50 per €1,000 of house value.

Under this model, the bill would be less than €2 a week for the poorest 30% of households, between €4 and €7 a week for the next 30%, rising to €8 to €10 for the next 30%.

The top 10% of earners would pay close to €15 a week.

The ESRI says flat-rate charges are inherently unfair, as everyone pays the same regardless of income level or property value.

How are house values going to be ascertained? The real value of some properties in my area is currently approaching zero. Nobody is buying, so nothing is worth even €100,000 despite the estate agents' prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back