The Household Charge (1 Viewer)

She's spot on.
Part of the reason we can't tell the troika to fuck off is that we need to borrow money to pay for shit. Part of the reason we don't have that money is that we have too narrow a tax base, thanks to years of Fianna Fail policies.
Theoretically we could tell the bondholders to stick it up their bollix, but then no one would loan us the money to pay for everything from the Gards to the Arts grants to the childrens allowance.
We need to get on track to a broader tax base, and this is part of it.

I haven't read any of the rest of the thread.

by my reckoning its a tenner extra if you don't pay within 6 months after the deadline. It'll be ten euro well spent to leave it to the last week of that 6 months.

I have every intention of paying, eventually. I'm not against this tax. I'm against everything about how this tax is being imposed. Its lazy. And its pathetic. And Olivia O'Leary is right, Phil Hogan is an imbecile.

She's spot on.
Part of the reason we can't tell the troika to fuck off is that we need to borrow money to pay for shit. Part of the reason we don't have that money is that we have too narrow a tax base, thanks to years of Fianna Fail policies.

Theoretically we could tell the bondholders to stick it up their bollix, but then no one would loan us the money to pay for everything from the Gards to the Arts grants to the childrens allowance.
We need to get on track to a broader tax base, and this is part of it.

I haven't read any of the rest of the thread.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here, but the ECB aren't even allowing the Irish State to go into the bond market and buy back their own bonds at something approaching current market value.

These bonds are, or at least were, trading at much lower prices than they were originally issued for. I.e. the haircuts have already been taken. Buyers have already taken losses on these bonds by selling them on at large discounts. After all, many of the bond issues are or have been rated by all the rating agencies as junk, i.e. only partial payment is expected.

This is particuarly the case with the Anglo bonds and promissory notes. Nobody expected these to be paid in full and so were trading at fractions of their values on the secondary market.

All the State has to do is say: "Look, we'll pay you X% of the paper value of these bonds. We know you bought them for X-10% of their original paper value so you still make money and we still make money."

I.e. the State makes an offer for these bonds prior to maturity. There is no credit event as the agreement is voluntary and bonds were rated as junk anyway and very expensive to insure.

As regards frightening the markets - this would be a voluntary writedown and they won't lend to us anyway. In terms of not causing a ripple effect around Europe, the very plausible argument can be made that us, Portugal and Greece are being bailed out by the IMF, (where debt writedowns are normally de rigeur) and therefore we're special cases.

The current situation means that we're simply transferring a load of our money to people who took a very risky punt on junk-rated bonds. I.e. hedge funds, vulture funds and the like. Unfortunately, some of these funds are probably doing serious lobbying in Europe to ensure that we don't get any joy. The French government and banking sector are notoriously intertwined, for example.

Fun pub quiz in Stoneybatter

Stoneybatter Campaign Against Household & Water Taxes

Pub quiz in Kavanagh's Bar (upstairs) on Tuesday, March 27th at 8pm.

€20 per table of four or five. Teams can be put together on the night.

Kavanagh's is at the junction of Aughrim Street and Manor Street, Dublin 7.

http://www.facebook.com/events/204080543025832/

National Rally Against Household Tax

Campaign Against Household Charge 1890 98 98 00

National Stadium 24th March

One week before the government deadline come to the

National Rally against the Household Tax

There is a National Rally of the Campaign on March 24th, in the National Stadium on the South Circular Rd, Dublin. It is open to all, and there will be buses coming from right across the country. This Assembly will bring together the campaign right across the country, and launch the final push before the registration deadline. Make sure to be there!

Where: National Stadium, South Circular Road, Dublin

When: Sat 24th March 1pm - 4pm

Supported By: Joe Higins TD, Joan Collins TD, Clare Daly TD, Richard Boyd-Barret TD, Seamus Healy TD, Thomas Pringle TD, Luke Flanagan TD, Mick Wallace TD, John Halligan TD, Paul Murphy MEP

http://nohouseholdtax.org/

There'll be another charge later in the year to cover the lads overtime.

Or it might lead to job creation.

Don't register, they'll use the info for the water tax and the broadcast tax and whatever else they can think up so that they don't have to tax the rich.

as usual middle & orking class people will pay for everything.

Fun pub quiz in Stoneybatter

Stoneybatter Campaign Against Household & Water Taxes

Pub quiz in Kavanagh's Bar (upstairs) on Tuesday, March 27th at 8pm.

€20 per table of four or five. Teams can be put together on the night.

Kavanagh's is at the junction of Aughrim Street and Manor Street, Dublin 7.

http://www.facebook.com/events/204080543025832/

This is outrageous! You mean a team from Foxrock will pay the same as a team from inner-city Dublin??? How is this quiz fair and equitable?

This is outrageous! You mean a team from Foxrock will pay the same as a team from inner-city Dublin??? How is this quiz fair and equitable?

Teams from Foxrock are free to give voluntary donations. Please supply dob, bank acct details, pin etc

Culchies pay 15% extra.

Final Cork Anti-Household Tax Rally Before Deadline

Tuesday 27 March, 8pm
Ballroom, Metropole Hotel, Macurtain St, Cork

Bring friends, family, neighbours and workmates. Show the government that Cork says NO! to the household taxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back