The Household Charge (2 Viewers)

How are house values going to be ascertained? The real value of some properties in my area is currently approaching zero. Nobody is buying, so nothing is worth even €100,000 despite the estate agents' prices.

True. Also, you have to wonder when are house values going to be ascertained? Nothing has been done to value them thus far and we're in April now. Given that a methodology yet has to be decided, committees have to report back, databases have to be set up, possible public private partnerships tendered for, high court challenges, consultancies, inevitable tribunals and so on and so forth, I can't see this being introduced for next year.

i fucking despair

I think the Governments, or more accurately, the Establishment have a record of using the ESRI to almost subliminally manage our expectations. I think this could be another instance, as opposed to 'hey everybody, we're doubling the household charge next year, and that's the best case scenario'. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

How are house values going to be ascertained? The real value of some properties in my area is currently approaching zero. Nobody is buying, so nothing is worth even €100,000 despite the estate agents' prices.

I may be wrong, but Tommy Trousers told me a while back that the last time they looked into valuing all properties in the state, the cost of doing so was expected to be more than the money they would be able to collect from the tax.

This whole being able to protest by simply not doing something is great craic altogether. If all protesting was like this, I'd protest everything/sit on my hole and do nothing. I might even pepper spray myself just for the laugh. Sure I love spicy food.

There was some mention last week that they may go for site values rather than property values, so they just decide how much a site that's a certain size in a particular area is is worth and use that.

I believe they're also going to make all house sale prices public now which again would indicate what a house in a particular area isd actually worth on the market (that would probably take about 18 months to 2 years to filter through and become an accurate gauge.)

‘Irish Water’ the First Step to Privatisation

18/04/12

éirígí Dublin City Councillor Louise Minihan has slammed the Dublin government’s decision to establish the ‘Irish Water’ utility company as the first step on the road to full privatisation of water services across the state.

Speaking from Ballyfermot Cllr Minihan said, “Clean water is an essential requirement for all human life. Access to adequate supplies of such water should be considered a fundamental human right which cannot be sacrificed to satisfy the greed-driven ideology of the IMF and EU.

“Despite the denials of Phil Hogan there is no doubt that the establishment of Irish Water represents the first step on the road to the full privatisation of water services across the state. The neo-liberal policies of the Troika demand the eventual privatisation of virtually all public services, including water services.

“You only have to look to the British experience of water privatisation to see where Fine Gael and Labour are headed. Hogan is being deeply dishonest when he claims that Irish Water will remain in permanent public ownership. That, or he is too stupid to understand the intent of his masters in Berlin and New York.”

Calling on people to resist the introduction of domestic water taxes Cllr Minihan said, “The new water tax must be opposed for three main reasons. Firstly because access to water should be considered a fundamental right which the state has a duty to provide for all citizens, regardless of how rich or poor they happen to be.

“Secondly, because it represents a form of double taxation; the people of this state already pay for their water through central taxation. And thirdly because it is being introduced as part of an austerity programme which will see tens of billions of public euro’s transferred into private hands.

“Any attempt to introduce a domestic water tax must be met with a mass campaign of non-payment and civil disobedience, similar to that which is currently underway in relation to Hogan’s home tax. Extending the boycott to the water tax is one of the most effective ways for people to fight back against the austerity programme.

“If sufficient numbers of people simply refuse to pay these unjust taxes the government will eventually get the message – the people can’t and won’t pay for the greed of your banker and property developer buddies!”

http://www.eirigi.org/latest/latest180412.html

Household tax protest in Phibsboro

Campaig Against Household & Water Taxes

The East Wall, Cabra & Stoneybatter groups have organised a protest
outside the offices of Joe Costello TD and Paschal Donoghoe TD for
this Saturday (April 28th).

Meet at noon, St Peter's church (junction of Cabra Road & North Circular Road)

These TDs never sought a mandate for household or water taxes. We will not hand over our hard earned money to bail out unsuccessful speculators, bank bosses and other gamblers.

Over 800,000 are boycotting the home tax.

apr.png

you cant protest in this country without being called a shinner in any case. only reason fianna fail ever got established politically was that they were all gunmen, real life human killing gunmen. the proportion of present day shinners who are actual real gunmen is significantly less i'd guess. i'm not pro any party, just saying like. the stigma puts most people off any form of protest. if that stigma is ever looked at realistically then the amount of people protesting for thier own interests would vastly outnumber the 10-12% actual shinners.

what groups? Sinn Fein? Eirigi?

who is driving these protests?

The Campaign is nationwide, SF is not involved, their TDs aren't paying but are not asking people to botcott the charges.

You might well ask who is behind the increase in VAT and the increase in all thge extra charges imposed on ordinary people. But no, you point the finger at those who fight back.

Its ordinary community groups all over the country as well as the ULA, WP, eirigi.

More than 800,000 people have not paid the householkd charge, ah sure aren't they all trots and shinners.

The Campaign is nationwide, SF is not involved, their TDs aren't paying but are not asking people to botcott the charges.

You might well ask who is behind the increase in VAT and the increase in all thge extra charges imposed on ordinary people. But no, you point the finger at those who fight back.

Its ordinary community groups all over the country as well as the ULA, WP, eirigi.

More than 800,000 people have not paid the householkd charge, ah sure aren't they all trots and shinners.

what now? I only asked a poxy question.

I haven't paid my household charge so why I would I be calling everyone else who didn't trots and shinners?

cop on

what now? I only asked a poxy question.

I haven't paid my household charge so why I would I be calling everyone else who didn't trots and shinners?

cop on

Forgive me! I abase myself!

Its just that you asked your question in poxy manner!

Thats the way an attack is usually openned on P.ie

I just get fed of insinuation that everything is controlled by eirigi or shinners and thought you were from that stable.

you used the word 'groups'. I'm asking what groups. And yes, perhaps poxy of me to assume eirigi and sinn fein, but also, probably not unexpectedly.

And just to clarify, I'm referring specifically to the protests, not to the general opposition to the charges. People have made up their own minds about the opposition to the charge rather than being convinced to do so by any group.

Rick's Trotsky Poem

(from Bachelor Boys:The Young Ones Book)

Today, I saw a dog,
Yes, a dog.
Talking to a pig,
Yes, a pig.
They were on the pavement,
Discussing Trotsky.
Not brotsky or crotsky or drotsky or frotsky.
But Trotsky.

you used the word 'groups'. I'm asking what groups. And yes, perhaps poxy of me to assume eirigi and sinn fein, but also, probably not unexpectedly.

And just to clarify, I'm referring specifically to the protests, not to the general opposition to the charges. People have made up their own minds about the opposition to the charge rather than being convinced to do so by any group.

I humbly beg to differ. I think the meetings, knocking on doors, leaflets, appearances on TD and radio pkayed some part in convincing a lot of people to decide to boycott the charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back