The 'Festivals I don't get' Thread (5 Viewers)

Since I don't go to festivals I shouldn't be posting here but I did spend that few hours at liss ard last year so...

They really pushed the food thing, it was a music, food and literature fest. I don't recall noticing anything even remotely related to literature going on but there was one tent which was all food performances - the stage was a kitchen and you sat down (well, I didn't) and watched the chefs cooking. There was loads of tents selling nice food around the place, and nice coffee stalls, and cakes. And there was wine tents where you could select from a fairly limited selection, but still, there was a wine choice. If you wanted a beer, though, you could have only Murphys or Heineken. All that fuss about food and they offered only piss to wash it down with.

Of all the people I know who will most likely go to the Electric Picnic festival, I'd be 99.9% sure that not a single one of them could name me an MBV song. So going and having to listen to them spoof on about them would piss me off. In fact even just thinking about how they'll be excited about seeing MBV over the next few months but won't actually bother to listening to them is already pissing me off. They're already at it on Facebook.
To be fair I love them and I'm not sure I could name more than half of their songs. Their titles must be the most infinitely forgettable in music. nothing comes up to the standard of "Stupid Prick Gets Chased By Police and Loses His Slut Girlfriend" or "Let's Face It Pal, You Didn't Need That Eye Surgery"

Who the fuck goes to eat at festivals? I was at EP in 2005 and the only thing I ate was the fruit and sambos I had packed (my mum told me to bring them - good call), some class of a horrible sausage/rasher combo the next morning, a small tray of chips and a load of beer with some E. The best thing about the kip in the intervening 8 years seems to be Pieminister. Fuck that.
Eventually when you do have to eat to not die it's the €7 that you have to pay for the scaldy bacon roll that really feels torture. Pieminister can fuck right off as well €8 for a ready made pie some smash and gravy that's just MSG and brown ? Me hoop.

Well that's precisely my point. You and several others on this thread clearly don't 'get' what generally passes for a music festival these days. So to single out EP and call it shit when, in it's field (no pun), it's actually a first-rate is unfair I think.

I don't think it's unfair for me to state why I personally don't get EP in a thread called 'Festivals I don't get," and it's not because I hate festivals. Pitchfork is awesome, Lalapaloozas were fantastic, The Tibetan Freedom Festival so much fun and Primiavera incredible. I assume SXSW would be great. I've never been to Cochella but I have a feeling I would put it with my 'meh' EP reaction. You are stuck in a field for three days so you have to eat the food unless you carry in a huge cooler and even then, you'd have to go all the way to your tent to get it. Perhaps your experience is different because you are part of a huge group of music fans. So that communal feeling is there because of who you are around not the actual experience of the festival itself? Or we just have different outlooks. Or maybe I'm just too old and have lost that just let loose attitide a bit too soon? I like to be able to sleep (without drunk people pissing on my tent) cook my own food of ridiculously good ingredients and have my stomach filled before I go to drink good wine (that I don't need to smuggle in) and listen to bands for the next 7 hours before going back to a nice clean bed and a shower. Rather than walking around cold, damp, drinking sludge, surviving on green chicken curry and ice cream (which is all I can eat there) and feel dirty. I don't get choosing EP over spending a little bit more money to see better line up (with a lot of cross over) and have a better time in the sun. Granted, EP is probably one of the better Irish festivals but I don't get spending the money for it. Both times I've gone it was because it was free. I wouldn't go otherwise.

I take all your points lads. I can see how something that is a good experience for some could be a bad experience for others. A lot of it is down to what you make of it yourself. I've been to EP several times. The first couple of times I went with a big gang of friends, none of whom were particularly interested in music. I left them on the friday afternoon, saw them briefly on saturday morning, and not again until sunday night when they finally decided they wanted to go and see some bands (and asked me who they should go and see - I brought them to MBV and Grinderman). They saw about, on average, 5 bands all weekend. I saw about 30. My experience of that festival was quite different from theirs. I think they enjoyed the bits they can remember, but what they did sounds horrendous to me. Likewise, I can't imagine they'd enjoy what I did.

Sure the weather can put a really downer on things, but theres nothing you can do about that. EP generally gets away with it. Theres never been a total washout and last year we had the best weather of the entire summer. I was at Oxegen in around 2006 where it rained all day saturday (but was nice on sunday). That was horrible but I still enjoyed it, albeit in hindsight.

A lot of the negative remarks here are coming from comparisons to other festivals, or from whatever others might do to ruin it for us. Fuck that shit. Maybe its not possible to avoid the pricks for the entire weekend, but having the likes of the Killers on at the same time as someone you want to see (Tindersticks, for example), has its advantages.

My top tips for enjoying the festival experience in Ireland;

- go to the festival alone

- talk to no one else for the entire weekend other than the cute girl behind you in the queue for coffee

- stand at the back of the gigs by more obscure acts and look broody and serious

- continually make facial expressions displaying your disapproval for the carry-on of the kids

- learn the song titles of half a dozen MBV songs

- learn the words to at least one of those songs and be sure to sing along at the top of your croaky voice

- watch lots of bands

- at the end of the weekend ask lots of people if they were at such-and-such a gig and then tell them how great it was (even if it wasn't) when they say no.

- bring at least one spare pair of jox.

thats it really. Can't go wrong if you follow those.

@sutter if I went home every night and returned in the morning, I might have a better view of it. Don't get me wrong, I've had fun at EP but I still don't see spending all that money for it when I could go to something better. It's really the amount of drunk people and weather that puts me off more than anything else. I actually love camping just not with thousands of drunken idiots.

I don't think it's unfair for me to state why I personally don't get EP in a thread called 'Festivals I don't get," and it's not because I hate festivals. Pitchfork is awesome, Lalapaloozas were fantastic, The Tibetan Freedom Festival so much fun and Primiavera incredible. I assume SXSW would be great. I've never been to Cochella but I have a feeling I would put it with my 'meh' EP reaction. You are stuck in a field for three days so you have to eat the food unless you carry in a huge cooler and even then, you'd have to go all the way to your tent to get it. Perhaps your experience is different because you are part of a huge group of music fans. So that communal feeling is there because of who you are around not the actual experience of the festival itself? Or we just have different outlooks. Or maybe I'm just too old and have lost that just let loose attitide a bit too soon? I like to be able to sleep (without drunk people pissing on my tent) cook my own food of ridiculously good ingredients and have my stomach filled before I go to drink good wine (that I don't need to smuggle in) and listen to bands for the next 7 hours before going back to a nice clean bed and a shower. Rather than walking around cold, damp, drinking sludge, surviving on green chicken curry and ice cream (which is all I can eat there) and feel dirty. I don't get choosing EP over spending a little bit more money to see better line up (with a lot of cross over) and have a better time in the sun. Granted, EP is probably one of the better Irish festivals but I don't get spending the money for it. Both times I've gone it was because it was free. I wouldn't go otherwise.

Ok going to do some back-tracking here. First off, I thought I read you labelling it as shit, hands down. Reading back on the thread you didn't so my response as a result was a bit off colour and of course it's not unfair to say you don't get it. I haven't always gone in a big group but usually do so take your point that my notion of a communal experience could be based on that quite a bit and not necessarily reflective of the festival itself - my father goes, my mates with kids go, I know some of the locals who go and yet it doesn't alienate my more boisterous friends either and I really like that about the event. My main point however, which you actually seem to agree with, is that it is one of the better Irish festivals. And I totally grant that the rather large asking price (although it has come down this year) isn't worth it unless the line-up is very good.

Eventually when you do have to eat to not die it's the €7 that you have to pay for the scaldy bacon roll that really feels torture. Pieminister can fuck right off as well €8 for a ready made pie some smash and gravy that's just MSG and brown ? Me hoop.

The falafel's are good, the hog roast is amazing, noodles and curry's decent and best of all those piemontese streak burgers. Absolutely savage. I always eat way more at EP than at any other festival I've been to and I'm not just saying that coz I've walked myself down this path now.

I got tea and toast at the picnic once for something like €1. It was brilliant, bought from some middle aged couple with a desk a kettle and a toaster. Also fuck piemaster and its queues of hype eaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back