SUPERSYSTEM (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
playing CrawDaddy on Sat 4th June - late nite show as part of Pogo club.

should be grrrrrreat, anyone heard new album?

SUPERSYSTEM

“Born Into The World” 12 inch - 2/22/05

Always Never Again cd/lp - 4/12/05

Born into a musical world divided by style, Supersystem has specialized in bursting genre barricades. With two Dischord records that explored free jazz, trance punk, and old-fashioned dance tracks under its belt, the DC/NY quartet formerly known as El Guapo ? nds its way into new territory one more time with Always Never Again, its Touch and Go debut.

Guided by the slick production of keyboardist Pete Cafarella (aka session man for the Rapture) and virtuoso guitarist Rafael Cohen, the self-recorded LP showcases the band?s ability to fuse pop, punk, hip-hop, dancehall, and “world” in? uences into a bubbling stew that sounds like equal parts Kraftwerk, Timbaland, and your favorite Ethiopiques CD. A forthcoming 12-inch single is a good sample: on “Born Into the World,” Cohen spins an intricate, Middle Eastern guitar line around a set of chord changes that are nothing less than Prince-worthy while, on the ? ipside, bassist Justin Moyer?s screams about national security over a relentless house beat makes “DEFCON” sound like Suicide, the Beastie Boys, and Bad Brains colliding on the cracked surface of a wrecking ball.

Almost 300 shows in the past three years with the likes of Q and Not U, the Gossip, and Pinback as well as the addition of powerhouse drummer Josh Blair (the machine-man with the blurry arms behind the Ipecac prog out? t Orthrelm) have turned Supersystem into a force to be reckoned with. Catch them on tour behind Always Never Again in Spring of 2005 before they explode.

Thats cool news.
I love the early ei guapo stuff,havent heard the latest album(since the name change)but ill probably check them out.

Im looking forward to this. Haven't heard the new stuff yet but have the 2 dischord albums and one they put out on one of their own labels.

Catchy, especially the Dischord stuff. Wonder why they changed label. Anybody know?

This should be great. The new album's really cool. Hella dancey, much less guitar stuff. Some of it's really Prince like, some like the dancier Q and not U stuff from the new album (which Supersystem recorded). Anyway it should be a lot of fun live.

How late is a late night show as I have pretty important prior engagements.

saw them in cork when the were EL Guapo and it was the best gig i was ever at. who's putting it on? Any chance they'll play cork again?

big fists said:
does anyone know how much it is to get in to this?

admission to this will be a measly €12.

this will be a three room special also featuring swedish/irish technoids DK7 in POD and the usual Nic and Eno in the Lobby bar

Man this gig was sweet!! Glad they played a good chunk of El Guapo stuff too. The only downside was having to drink pissy Bud at it.

darn! this completely passed me by. didn't even know about the name change. thought el guapo were great in limerick a coupla years back, even though the drummer was ill and kept having to throw up. oh yeah, he forgot his cymbals in cork as well so the driver had to boot down to cork and straight back up again! supersystem, huh? must get the record.

righteous harmony said:
darn! this completely passed me by. didn't even know about the name change. thought el guapo were great in limerick a coupla years back, even though the drummer was ill and kept having to throw up. oh yeah, he forgot his cymbals in cork as well so the driver had to boot down to cork and straight back up again! supersystem, huh? must get the record.

Yeah I only realised they were El Guapo the other day! The album's a bit less mad than the other stuff. Much more cohesive as a whole though. Definately worth checking out. Hopefully they'll be back soon enough.

thought they were fun, but a bit samey, all chck-chck-chck dancepunk and everything, like a slicker, poppier black eyes. still danced myself stupeh though.

but holy fuck, the venue was a headwreck. the band seemed pretty pissed off with having to play in the middle of a giant budweiser ad. i felt like burning the place to the ground afterwards, or like strangling whatever marketing type dreamed it all up... the whole 'bud rising' thing seems like such a violent, nasty slap in the face to anyone who gives a shit about music.

ironically enough, there's an explanation on the supersystem website about why they changed their name from el guapo, and part of the reason is because there is another band called el guapo who "are sponsored by budweiser and mcdonalds". ho ho.

as for the lack of anything to drink other than piss, myself and my partner in crime went for the teenage option and brought naggins of vodka. (note to the hordes of budweiser marketing types reading thumped: i will do this again for dalek.)

can't believe i missed this. just got the album today. name changes stink.

then i missed fucking dalek last night.

shit
shit

shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back