Suggestions for new music (1 Viewer)

Good stuff I've heard recently and would heartily recommend:

Room 204 - Trans Panda
Halfset - Dramanalog
Bedhead - Macha Loved Bedhead EP
Redworms' Farm - Amazing
Colditz Glider - Properties Of Light EP
Supersystem - Always Never Again

I'd second what people have been saying about the rough trade compilation, especially the first disc. I was getting a bit mehh about new music, but this is lovely altogether.

Also enjoying the Nick Cave b-sides & rarities compilation. Third disc sounds like a whole new album pitched somewhere between Boatmans Call and No More Shall We Part. Even the Nocturama rejects sound good, apart from the ones that sound like Nocturama rejects.

Will I be a prick and say arcade fire? Yeah, arcade fire.

Music is Life! said:
Hiya
Haven't listened to any new music in sometime and I'm getting bored with what I've got.
Any suggestions for stuff to listen to?

The Wolfe Tones latest greatest hits album; "the troubles".
Settles any acusations that their career is based solely on pandering to armchair republicans with dogs dressed in celtic away jerseys.
True giants of the Irish arts world; you cant hate those dodgy brits enough!!ironyyy

i would also highly recommend Antony and The Johnsons, although their cabaret-esque musicial style is certainly not to everyones taste. the man's voice however, soars in a heartbreakingly beautiful way, beyond gender and race. he is going to breakthrough into absolute stardom soon, and he really deserves it. however, a lot of reviews having been claiming lou reed discovered him. this is not in fact true, he was found and originally released by Mr. David Tibet of Current 93 (http://www.durtro.com). for those who enjoy Antony's work, try to track down the "I fell in love with a dead boy" single. It is very short, with just three tracks, but he does a stunning version of Julie Cruise's "mysteries of love" (written by David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti) which is far superior to the original. and that's saying something.

my current musicial interest, aside from - as always and as ever- Coil and Nurse With Wound, is the music of John Duncan (www.johnduncan.org). His work is absolutely wonderful, I cannot recommend it highly enough. My personal favorites are the euphoric "Phantom Broadcast" and the harrowing "Keening Towers".

i am very tempted to do another compilation club cd, but there was really fuck all interest in my last one. oh well.

Brian Conniffe said:
i am very tempted to do another compilation club cd, but there was really fuck all interest in my last one. oh well.

ah go on. i enjoyed your first one - did you do one since? throw a couple of those john duncan tunes on plus whatever you fancy and i'll take one off your hands.

Donkey OJ said:
ah go on. i enjoyed your first one - did you do one since? throw a couple of those john duncan tunes on plus whatever you fancy and i'll take one off your hands.

aw, thank you so much. :) i only did the one before. will do another one (or two).

Current 93 are marmite.

Audiodelic said:
Brian Conniffe said:
Mr. David Tibet of Current 93 (http://www.durtro.com). for those who enjoy Antony's work, try to track down the "I fell in love with a dead boy" single. QUOTE]

Curren 93! Christ, there's a name I haven't heard for a long time. I saw them play somewhere in a stately home in London in 1992. Mad gig.

listen to these if you like
bill fay-from the bottom of an old grandfather clock
josephine foster and the supposed-all the leaves are gone
animal collective ft. vashti bunyan-prospect hammer ep
susanna and the magical orchestra-list of light and buoys
efterklang-tripper
fennesz-venice
kim hiorthoy-hei
daedelus-exquisite corpse

tis all deadly stuff methinks

Anthony said:
I just got this in the post and it's amazing.
http://www.marillion.com/discog/popular/index.html[/QUOTE]

I was trying to remember who had a Marillion avatar a while back, and I'm guessing there couldn't possibly be two of their fans around here, so it must be you eh?

Where do I start with them? Their best album? And, in all seriousness, DO I start with them?

portrid said:
Anthony said:
Where do I start with them? Their best album? And, in all seriousness, DO I start with them?

getting the 24 bit remasters (double CD versions) of Clutching At Straws, Script for A Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood wouldn't be a bad start. But that's all I have. Anthony would be the man to guide you better

saw The Thieving Magpie live double LP last month in Spindizzy . €6

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back