Suggestions for new music (2 Viewers)

Would second Anthony & the Johnsons 'I Am A Bird Now'.
New stuff I've recently liked includes State River Widening's 'Cottonhead album, Phantom Buffalo's 'Shishimumu' and that new Husky Rescue album sounds fantastic.

kirstie said:
oh yas, these guys are part of that whole furtureheads-ish this ain't vegas Sunderland thing aren't they?

God I love the futureheads.

The je ne sais quoi are swedish, don't really know much about futureheads, never heard 'em.

aha. in my mind they are lumped in together because I was given cdrs of both at the same time.

is the anthony and the johnsons record very twee, or only moderately twee? or not twee at all? I had it in my hand on saturday in tower and then decided not to buy it on account of already having bought approx 45 records this month.

I like the Guy Clark stuff too, him fixing guitars and hanging out.. total dude... but yeah Townes madness and Dave Allen Coe and rape stories sort of steals the show...

Borrow it off Andy, or Mondo Butcho or whatever he calls himself now, if you want Vincent. Top film.

I'll check out this John Stewart fella

MONDOBRUTALE said:
you can have pantones copy if you want - i'm done with it
the only good bits are tvz singing 'waiting around to die' and david allen coe talking about people trying to rape him in prison

ah no, it's alright like

andrew

not twee in the slightest, but a little odd. mostly piano led and kinda old fashioned

pretty unsettling to listen to, i think. especially when you know of the gentleladies androgynousityity

its marvelous altogether

kirstie said:
aha. in my mind they are lumped in together because I was given cdrs of both at the same time.

is the anthony and the johnsons record very twee, or only moderately twee? or not twee at all? I had it in my hand on saturday in tower and then decided not to buy it on account of already having bought approx 45 records this month.

Not twee at all. If anything it's a little overblown but it's a stunning record with about as much ambition as I've heard in a long time. I give it 4 gays out of 5

kirstie said:

not twee at all, it's like and old smokey soul record, everyone says Nina Simone, which is sort of lazy, but sort of true too.. and old Nina Soul record... gets a little cabaret in parts... but generally very lovely

Course I said this weeks ago and did anyone care... nnnnnoooooooooo

right yiz are gays. what a shame I spent all my spare record buying cash on a Fabulous Bag yesterday.

But if I like it I'll want to buy it in anyways. How and ever, this approach should work well in the interim.

dudley said:
just rob it off the interweb

other records i've been listening to of late...

fiona apple - extraodinary machine (it's a grower)
enon - lost marbles & exploded evidence (b-sides, rarities & whatnot)
hella - church gone wild/chirpin hard (2cds!)
red sparrowes - at the soundless dawn (if explosions in the sky + mono had a baby, it would be this.)
dare diablo - twenty paces (instrumental rock with an organ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back