Suggestions for new music (1 Viewer)

Vinnie said:
I was listening to Vashti only yesterday. She really is magic.

check out this months record collector for a pretty great rundown on 'that kind of shit'

fuckin COMUS!

also - who is this IVAN PAWLE i see interviewed?! the father of a certain Ivan Pawle on thumped?! How Strange! How Strangely, Strange!

'there you go!'

andrew

portrid said:
Anthony said:
Where do I start with them? Their best album? And, in all seriousness, DO I start with them?

Ok I'll try to keep this short (hahah)
These days I prefer the Steve Hogarth era (post '89) although it was Their first album, Script For A Jesters Tear, that got me into them and the Fish albums will always be special to me. Nlgbtth is right to recommend Clutching at Straws. The remaster is great but the original version is fine and can usually be picked up pretty cheap.

Of the post '89 stuff Afraid Of Sunlight is my favourite and their latest album, Marbles is a good as anything they've ever done (ignore the single though, it's crap).

They sell a sampler CD from their site for £2 and I think it's even free if you sign up to their mailing list as a new or interested person. I bought a couple of copies when they played here last time and gave them away, it's actually a really good compilation and quite representitive of what they're at now http://www.marillion.com/discog/crash.html

These days they get compared to Talk Talk and XTC a lot, I'm not familiar with TT so I can't comment.

To start with:
Clutching At Straws
Afraid Of Sunlight

Then:
Misplaced Childhood
Marbles

If you're feeling brave:
Script For A Jesters Tear
Seasons End

Probably best leave it a while:
Fugazi
Holidays In Eden

nlgbbbblth said:
portrid said:
getting the 24 bit remasters (double CD versions) of Clutching At Straws, Script for A Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood wouldn't be a bad start. But that's all I have. Anthony would be the man to guide you better

saw The Thieving Magpie live double LP last month in Spindizzy . €6

Cheers. Script is the one with 'the hit' isn't it?

Anthony said:
portrid said:
These days they get compared to Talk Talk and XTC a lot, I'm not familiar with TT so I can't comment.

To start with:
Clutching At Straws
Afraid Of Sunlight

Then:
Misplaced Childhood
Marbles

If you're feeling brave:
Script For A Jesters Tear
Seasons End

Probably best leave it a while:
Fugazi
Holidays In Eden

Like Talk Talk and XTC!? Sher that's only maaad so it is.

I seem to be listening only to unfashionable music lately in keeping with my advancing years, so I think Marillion will fit right in with my expanding Yes collection.

Thanks for the umm...well you can't quite call it help can you? I'm gonna get beaten up in school for this...

On one of their late-80s tours Fish insisted that Cardiacs support Marillion. Didn't work out too well though. Fans were ringing ahead to the next tour stop to warn the fans to bottle the support band. Still makes me want to give Marillion a proper listen though.

When I was a kid we had a fish called Marillion, who was alive for about 12 years. My bro was a fan. He also liked tubular bells. He was the artist in our family.

Vinnie said:
On one of their late-80s tours Fish insisted that Cardiacs support Marillion. Didn't work out too well though. Fans were ringing ahead to the next tour stop to warn the fans to bottle the support band. Still makes me want to give Marillion a proper listen though.

Blur tried that in the 90s apparently.

Crazy times - crazy guys

I know I posted this like a year ago, but I still wish this guy were a band:

http://www.geocities.com/kstremskyforpresidentusa/

He has written at least one song, so there is hope. Ken Stremsky for President USA, indeed:

"A SONG I WROTE ON JUNE 20, 2002 WHILE ON A BUS

Looking for a girlfriend

I am looking for a girlfriend.

I don't care what she looks like.

I don't care about the color of her eyes.

I hope to make her eyes sparkle when I make her laugh.

I want to share my life with a woman who will tell me when I am wrong and
will support me when I am right.

I am not looking for a trophy wife.

I am looking for a woman to share the good times in life with.

I hope to tease her and I hope she teases me.

I hope to have children.

It is not a deal breaker.

I prefer she be between 22 and 40.

I may date a woman over 40 in the future.

Won't you ask me out on a date?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back