So... should i buy this SG? (1 Viewer)

brianoak said:
Sound wise or playing wise?

I would never not have an SG as long as I play electric guitars.

Well i'm not an expert but a lot of people claim theres not as much time and human work put into the building of newer models which has a negative effect on the feel and sound. Its also said that the materials used these days are inferior.

Its all subjective, the people who say this are usually the folks who own vintage guitars themselves and are gonna have a tendancy to look down on brand new models.

Before i bought my guitar i was warned by a few people that new teles are this and that etc...

I couldnt find an old one that i liked/would pay for so i gladly bought a new one.

I do love SGs though, they have a certain beefiness you can't get with the like of a telecaster.

a grand seems to be about the average price for (recent) 2nd hand sgs. gotta get one in black or cherry red though, it's the rules. they're my favourite guitars ever. personally i'd snoop around for an older one...

Aesthetically I'm not a fan of SG's but they're really nice to play. As lefty said they're far beefier than the Tele.

What sorta amp are you using? Not much point in having a really nice guitar if you're going to have a shit amp. One of the lads in the band I'm in got an AC30 reissue for less than a grand off dolphin becasue they forgot to charge him VAT.

alan there is cherry red one going on metalireland at the moment for 700euro.

Make sure it is a standard though.

I found the SG lacks a bit of clarity for single note stuff but a friend of mine recently gave me a Seymour Duncan Invader for it.I fit to the bridge and it makes a huge difference when playing faster/brighter stuff.Still use the gibson hunbucker for the slow heavy bassy stuff though.

My SG rules.

guitar-hero.jpg

Alan Remorse said:
using a Marshall JCM 900 100W head through a 1960 4X12 cab. i likes it.

grand. i'd say just decide if you want a new SG (and buy it) or an older one (and become obsessed with ebay/online 2ndhand store) so.

damien said:
grand. i'd say just decide if you want a new SG (and buy it) or an older one (and become obsessed with ebay/online 2ndhand store) so.

where is a good online second hand store that could ship wothin 14 days,say somebody needed a head like......

damien said:
there's an 800 in the buyandsell today, €500 in waterford.

there's also this

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MARSHALL-100W-1992-HEAD-FROM-1978-JCM-800-PLEXI-TONE_W0QQitemZ250007157361QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but it's bound to go up a load.

offer still stands to lend my stuff for the gigs we're doing with you.

Sound Damo much appreciated.I saw that 800 afew days ago but the number isnt working.

i emailed a dude today about a DSL 2000 for 380 sterling so waiting for him to get back.

People always harp on about older guitars. I think that's mostly a load of crap. Like in the 80s people were going on about 60s and 70s guitars and how they're not built to the right standards anymore yadda yadda yadda. Now an 80s guitar is a sought after vintage. It's bullshit.

I bought a brand fucking new SG last year and it's the loudest, lightest guitar ever. It's beautiful and looks like it was hand crafted by naked Byroneese maidens. Best when used for straight up riffin'. Like, today I came up with this deadly riff on the acoustic but it was a bit strummy. Tried it out on th SG and all the subtlety was lost and it sounded crap.

Still though, what an axe.

quality guitar. (lord damo, its just like craigs)

i love the feel of them and they look cool. the newer SGs have stronger necks as they used to be notoriously week. if you're not into vintage axes then go for it, but do offer him a bit less.

SG's are ruling.
When I have an SG and a Tele, the circle will be complete.
I'd buy it, but how old is it?
If it's 1385 new, I'd be offering €750 to start.

Anyone know what model Epiphone SG comes in plain wood color and how much it should cost? Found one in the guitar shop in galway the last day, plays and sounds deadly but i can't find it online to check the price. Stupidly, i didn't even note the model, just the fact that it was e450 and pure wood. Been through musicstore and thomann's SGs and neither do them.

seanface said:
that's a pretty sweet looking guitar alright. deadly review for it here too. anywhere in dublin selling these? I'm in the market for a new guit box and am going to be in town in the next few days. 299 yo is not bad at all at all

I havent seen one over here. If you do come across a brand new one i'd be surprised if you get it for less than €500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back