Sinead O'Connor..take a fucking bow. (5 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 567
  • Views 53K
  • Watchers 9
What she had wasn't some mystery to medical science. She was diagnosed with bipolar and she was an obvious narcissist. Those things are resistant to treatment, but they are very very far from helpless causes. A combination of (a combination of) meds and psychotherapy can give people a life worth living.
The majority of people in therapy are dealing with shit from their upbringing. She wasn't special in that regard. She was just unusual in that she always had money and could tell doctors to fuck off if she liked. It's easier to say you're a muslim now than actually do the work.
Erm, you know what I do for a living, right? We barely understand psychiatric disorders as a whole and I’d argue that bipolar disorder is probably one of the least understood of that group. We know we have a bunch of drugs that can help but they’re shitty, full of nasty side effects so hard to stay on, and they don’t work for everyone. If you’re not one of the lucky people that can manage on meds, it’s not a case of just paying for better treatment. A hotshot private psychiatrist can’t do shit for bipolar and the disorder itself pushes you away from engaging in treatment.

Erm, you know what I do for a living, right? We barely understand psychiatric disorders as a whole and I’d argue that bipolar disorder is probably one of the least understood of that group. We know we have a bunch of drugs that can help but they’re shitty, full of nasty side effects so hard to stay on, and they don’t work for everyone. If you’re not one of the lucky people that can manage on meds, it’s not a case of just paying for better treatment. A hotshot private psychiatrist can’t do shit for bipolar and the disorder itself pushes you away from engaging in treatment.

My experience is that the drugs even people out, make them - for want of a better word - dull.
But if you've lived with someone with the condition, dull is a frickin' party. But that's all anecdotal.

But that's all by the by when you can say it was your Ma's fault instead.
Sinead didn't even accept that she had the condition, despite a professional diagnosis.
Nope, childhood trauma. Sorry, kids.
Addicts do this too. They can't take the label and grab for someone to blame.

None of the treatments even come into it though, if even at your most lucid, you refuse to accept what's going on because blaming others is easier.

I have no idea what you do other than work with brains and experiment on brains. Brains to burn as it were.

I do not enjoy wrecking this thread for anyone's enjoyment. I know lots of people loved her work and thought she was brilliant.

I saw her a rake of times back in the day
One I particularly remember is her at an AIDS benefit in the Olympic ballroom in maybe 1988

She had a voice as clear as glass, made all of us sweaty teens and the surroundings themselves seem even grottier by contrast
This tiny girl up on stage and a thousand+ people transfixed

The last time I remember seeing her was in an off licence in Golders Green near Hampstead
It was 1990 and Nothing Compares 2 U had just come out

We were buying cider for a party in the 4-bedroom house that 11 of us were sharing.
She was looking at wine.
Tiny, angelic thing in docs.
"Hiya Sinead"
"Hi"
- that voice, and her face glowing like a star in the sky.

ALways regretted not inviting her to the party. I just didn't know how to invite girls to parties then, much less superstars.
I mean she'd probably have said 'no', but with her, you never know really...

My experience is that the drugs even people out, make them - for want of a better word - dull.
But if you've lived with someone with the condition, dull is a frickin' party. But that's all anecdotal.

But that's all by the by when you can say it was your Ma's fault instead.
Sinead didn't even accept that she had the condition, despite a professional diagnosis.
Nope, childhood trauma. Sorry, kids.
Addicts do this too. They can't take the label and grab for someone to blame.

None of the treatments even come into it though, if even at your most lucid, you refuse to accept what's going on because blaming others is easier.

I have no idea what you do other than work with brains and experiment on brains. Brains to burn as it were.

I do not enjoy wrecking this thread for anyone's enjoyment. I know lots of people loved her work and thought she was brilliant.
I think we’re going to come at this from two different sides forever.

(But specifically to my work, I help find new drugs for treatment-resistant psychiatric disorders.)

I don’t have a tonne of memories from when I was younger but a clear one was being in the Baggot Inn (most of my family worked there) when I was probably 5 or 6ish and she was playing that night. She was standing on the stage area and the room was filled with smoke. My Mam had asked her to sing one of her songs that night for me and my dad had lifted me up to get a better view. She pointed me out to the crowd and dedicated it to me, but I got freaked out by the bald woman and everyone looking at me and ran away crying . Don’t think I got very far though.
I can never have anything nice.

Actually it was around then that my Mam also barred George Michael because he looked a bit dodgy. Maybe not the best place for a kid to be hanging around but Dublin was probably safer, or something.

Last edited:
I don’t have a tonne of memories from when I was younger but a clear one was being in the Baggot Inn (most of my family worked there) when I was probably 5 or 6ish and she was playing that night. She was standing on the stage area and the room was filled with smoke. My Mam had asked her to sing one of her songs that night for me and my dad had lifted me up to get a better view. She pointed me out to the crowd and dedicated it to me, but I got freaked out by the bald woman and everyone looking at me and ran away crying . Don’t think I got very far though.
I can never have anything nice.

Actually it was around then that my Mam also barred George Michael because he looked a bit dodgy. Maybe not the best place for a kid to be hanging around but Dublin was probably safer, or something.

You're a badass, Reets
Even at 6-years-old

what's your opinion on (what seems like possibly faddish?) use of psilocybin to rewrite pathways in the brain?
and yes, i appreciate that probably seems like clunky language to you.
from my semi-informed perspective it seems like some reasonably solid research showing positive reasonably sustained effects in a number of conditions, but its getting a lot of attention, and has more than a few scientific and non-scientific evangelists who are drumming it up.

but @Cornu Ammonis would have a more informed opinion... particularly on the 're-wiring the brain' claims. It does seem to damp down the DMN based on some studies, but I'm not sure that's accepted?

what's your opinion on (what seems like possibly faddish?) use of psilocybin to rewrite pathways in the brain?
and yes, i appreciate that probably seems like clunky language to you.

from my semi-informed perspective it seems like some reasonably solid research showing positive reasonably sustained effects in a number of conditions, but its getting a lot of attention, and has more than a few scientific and non-scientific evangelists who are drumming it up.

but @Cornu Ammonis would have a more informed opinion... particularly on the 're-wiring the brain' claims. It does seem to damp down the DMN based on some studies, but I'm not sure that's accepted?

I’m 1000% behind psilocybin, mainstream acceptance of its use for a range of disorders (depression, PTSD, addiction for sure) will be the most radical change in psychiatry in the past 60 years. Of course its reputation for being a cure for everything is pure hype and honestly I think the microdosing thing is largely tech bro flexing. But it will change the landscape in psychiatry, without a doubt. Between that and ketamine, we are in a very promising place.

As for what it does, we know it absolutely increases synaptic plasticity hugely. How and why this leads to a therapeutic effect is a whole PowerPoint lecture that I’d be happy to give at the Thumped Christmas party but those of us in the field propose a new name for this class of drugs: Plastinogens.

As for the DMN, that’s pretty accepted.

Emotional abuse is emotional abuse

A mother threatening/attempting suicide in front of you is far far scarier than watching a TV getting broken by your Dad. They're both horrible, but one is existentially horrific.

I will try and Tl;dr because I'm sick of typing and you're all sick of reading my cruel shit.

When you hear someone say on TV or radio in the next few day that Sinead "suffered with her mental illness" or "battled" it.
Just stop for a second and think of a child being told by their distraught Ma that she wants to kill herself.
And then imagine that happening all the time to that kid.
So often that it's not even unusual, but the kid still thinks if they love the Ma hard enough and behave better that they can stop it.
And ask yourself who struggled and who battled really?

ETA
If you've lived in Ireland you've gone to a roaring alcoholic's funeral, and their kids have to sit there and have a shower of fuckers that only know one side of the person walk by shake their hand and tell them what a wonderful person they were.
There's always more to it.
I don't think we're in disagreement about the impact on the kids

I think we're disagreeing about apportioning blame.

I don't think she was a bad person, and I believe she loved her kids and wanted the best for them.

Not loving this for the kids

and had told them about it since they were small

Just saying!

Have a great weekend, everybody!

P.S. please call emergency services before my accountant if I am found unresponsive

I’m 1000% behind psilocybin, mainstream acceptance of its use for a range of disorders (depression, PTSD, addiction for sure) will be the most radical change in psychiatry in the past 60 years. Of course its reputation for being a cure for everything is pure hype and honestly I think the microdosing thing is largely tech bro flexing. But it will change the landscape in psychiatry, without a doubt. Between that and ketamine, we are in a very promising place.

As for what it does, we know it absolutely increases synaptic plasticity hugely. How and why this leads to a therapeutic effect is a whole PowerPoint lecture that I’d be happy to give at the Thumped Christmas party but those of us in the field propose a new name for this class of drugs: Plastinogens.

As for the DMN, that’s pretty accepted.
maybe you could co-opt another term and sell microsdoses as microplastics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back