Sinead O'Connor..take a fucking bow. (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 567
  • Views 53K
  • Watchers 9
I've been surprised by the amount of love tbh. I could maybe name five songs, but she seems to have really hit people in the feels. In Ireland and abroad.

And loathe as I am to give the child more oxygen, fuck Morrisey. What a dickhead.

I've been surprised by the amount of love tbh. I could maybe name five songs, but she seems to have really hit people in the feels. In Ireland and abroad.

I think whatever your thought of the music, or how little you knew (I don't know loads either) there was clearly a vulnerability to her which I think people recognised but it really came to a head for a lot of us this week.

Like with yer man from Aslan (a horrendous band IMO) who was also a sympathetic figure even if you were detached from him.

There's probably more written this morning about Sinead o Connor than there was about her past three albums. Cybermourning is a strange thing and kinda becomes a vessel for all sorts of stuff.

Like i've seen posts about

Telling the industry to fuck off
Telling prince to fuck off
Telling Miles Cyrus to co on
Dealing with abuse
Dealing with power structures

And she definintely did those things but the posts would be more in the range of how people personalise that etc etc etc which kinda gives temporary idol/voodoo doll to channel your own feelings about these things. I've probably done it myself, right here on thumped in the past.

But she defo has loads of tunes with streams well into the millions

I only know “Nothing Compares 2U” which I like but it’s not really my thing.
OMG, you know she didn't write that song about you right?

Little known fact, she didn't actually write it at all believe it or not. Bob Marley wrote it, but said his buddy did so he'd get the royalties for his soup kitchen.

Elsewhere I believe her label are already putting out PR about the unfinished recordings...

yeah I had the thought just this morning that in the immediate future, there will there be a new posthumous goldmine cracked open now, selling plenty of sinead stuff — and the more depressing thought that, in the medium-to-longer-term, it will eventually try to turn sinead into a sanitised cartoon version of herself to keep selling t-shirts and mugs and whatever else. she deserves better than being turned into another famous dead rockstar self-caricature.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed reading @Deadmanposting 's thoughts on this, along with everyone else's. But I'm very removed from Sinead O'Connor.

Everything here has been more interesting than the twitter takes.
Thanks. Thumped is the internet's 10th man. How else would we know that your coffee in work isn't truly free? And that Sinead's parenting was egregiously sub-par?

the more depressing thought that, in the medium-to-longer-term, it will eventually try to turn sinead into a sanitised cartoon version of herself

You can come here for the straight dope.

I only know “Nothing Compares 2U” which I like but it’s not really my thing.
I'd recommend giving the first album a listen. It is truly remarkable. All the more given how young she was when she wrote most of it. 'Just like you said it would be', is one of the best songs ever written.

After that I'd struggle to find a half-dozen songs I'd like. The Lambs Book of Life is great, as are a couple of the Irish standards on Sean Nos Nua.

Most of the stuff I liked from here after the first album were her collaborations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back