savage (1 Viewer)

Well in fairness that's twice you've been asked the question Nooly and twice you've left it up to the internet to answer it.

Anyway I checked that list and of the 14 that are set for release in 2010 at least 5 of them seem to be very much the Savage, Adam and Paul type of thing. I'm not just having a go either it just seems that a lot of irish films seem to say the same thing or cover the same ground. That's hardly having a go.
i just don't see why you're making blanket statements about irish films if you haven't actually watched that many.

these are a few:
kisses
garage
i went down
disco pigs
dancing at lughnasa
man about dog
intermission
war of the buttons
inside i'm dancing
breakfast on pluto
mickybo and me
into the west

you could just as well use cinema paradiso and paris, texas to say why is it italian films all have characterful ould lads with funny moustaches and olive-skinned little urchins skipping about crying 'mamma mia!', or why do all texas films have sweeping desert landscapes and twangy guitar music

blanket statements about irish films

dirtyprotest.jpg

i just don't see why you're making blanket statements about irish films if you haven't actually watched that many.

these are a few:
kisses
garage
i went down
disco pigs
dancing at lughnasa
man about dog
intermission
war of the buttons
inside i'm dancing
breakfast on pluto
mickybo and me
into the west

you could just as well use cinema paradiso and paris, texas to say why is it italian films all have characterful ould lads with funny moustaches and olive-skinned little urchins skipping about crying 'mamma mia!', or why do all texas films have sweeping desert landscapes and twangy guitar music

Thats' ridiculous reasoning and I've seen 10 of those movies by the way a recurring theme in nearly all of them is poverty and deprivation seriously look carefully at that list. Add Angelas Ashes and Hunger on there really take it to the and make my point for me.

i don't even know what it is that you are actually looking for at this point, first it was too many films about dublin being shit and violent, then lack of originality, then that films always make the irish out to be 'simpletons, junkies, gangsters or savages' and now it's anything that includes themes of poverty and deprivation, which i don't agree are defining factors of 'nearly all' of that list. it's part of the setting for some of them, you'd hardly be pushed to find plenty of good films from other countries with similar settings.

Minor point (to no one in particular):

I think it might be useful to draw a distinction between 'working class' and 'underclass' or 'outsider' subject matter. 'Cos I think they tend to get conflated. A lot of the films mentioned (and that I've seen) so far seem to be about members of the 'underclass' - junkies, the unemployed, Travellers or other outsiders.
There are hundreds of thousands of working class people in this country living lives of placid stability that in terms of boredom easily rival those of the office workers mentioned earlier, and who couldn't be described as 'poor' or 'deprived' in any absolute (or interesting) sense.

No one is denying that Dublin is a violent city I'm saying it's not just a violent city. New York is a violent city but not every story you see from there is about violence. I'll give Kisses, Zonad and Ondine a go. Once ? it took a serious effort on my part to continue reading your post after that. Fucking Once ? Jesus Christ.

I can't wait to see the Finglas Alien movie Shneaky. Get started on it now.

I wasn't recommending those movies, and I kind of resent the implication that I was.
Zonad looks like poo with a bow on it.
Just saying we're not just making crime films here.

3 questions:
- Has anyone seen Zonad?
- Is it any good?
- Why are you using Paris Texas as an example of how to make a different movie in Ireland? That's a moodscape movie, the type of which I'm sure has every Texan going 'why does every fucking movie about rural Texas have tumbleweed, old garages and diners on the motorway, and a steel guitar soundtrack'. Same shit different setting.

I've seen Zonad.
It's not great, however it does has some amusing parts for sure. Definitely not a terrible film.
It's probably way funnier than The Other Guys like. It's DEFINITELY way better than that monstrosity that is The Hangover.

Ireland should be represented well like in that Amstel ad

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

GO ON THE LADS, YEEAH BOYZZZ. Those crazy irish LOL!

It's DEFINITELY way better than that monstrosity that is The Hangover.

in fact if you made an Irish version of the hangover it would be very similar to that ad. There's a mountain of easy cash in here if I just write the script (and also use them for the soundtrack)

being Irish is MAD DEADLY

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

3 questions:
- Has anyone seen Zonad?
- Is it any good?
- Why are you using Paris Texas as an example of how to make a different movie in Ireland? That's a moodscape movie, the type of which I'm sure has every Texan going 'why does every fucking movie about rural Texas have tumbleweed, old garages and diners on the motorway, and a steel guitar soundtrack'. Same shit different setting.

I'm not using Paris Texas as an example of how to make a different movie in Ireland. but it is an example of a different type of movie made against the backdrop of a specific location which is usually portrayed in a very one sided fashion. i.e if dublin = violent scum filled hell hole. Texas = cowboys and I doubt anyone would have been pissed off about the depiction of Texas as all tumble weeds etc as prior to Paris Texas most cinematic depictions of that state only really covered the period up until the early 1900s.

and even if I was using it as an example of how to make an irish movie wouldn't a Moodscape about Ireland even about Tallaght or Finglas be better than another poverty and violence-fest ? It would be for me anyway.

i don't even know what it is that you are actually looking for at this point, first it was too many films about dublin being shit and violent, then lack of originality, then that films always make the irish out to be 'simpletons, junkies, gangsters or savages' and now it's anything that includes themes of poverty and deprivation, which i don't agree are defining factors of 'nearly all' of that list. it's part of the setting for some of them, you'd hardly be pushed to find plenty of good films from other countries with similar settings.

We'll just have to disagree on this one but I think that other counties manage to tell more diverse stories even if it's against a backdrop of poverty or violence or whatever you want to interpret "shit" as that's usually what the shit is a backdrop. In Irish cinema the "shitness" seems to be elivated to the main theme. It's just an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back