savage (1 Viewer)

We have the other stories. Ondine, Zonad, Kisses, Once, Pyjama Girls etc.
We have the bollocks - Leap Year and The Matchmaker and their ilk.
But Dublin is a particularly violent city.
We're as mad about drugs as we are about gargle and it's led to an explosion in crime and fearless criminals.
People get shot and stabbed all the time. Random beatings for no reason are commonplace.
Spend some time in the courts and witness there's an entire generation that do not give a fuck about society or the law, for whom crime and drugs is a way of life. They are evolving and adapting to the system.
The Gards can't even begin to handle it and aren't particulalry arsed anyway, nor is there any political will except when it comes to cash-in-transit.
That's the city I live in and it's my experience of Dublin. A violent, miserable place.
I'm honestly kinda surprised there aren't more stories about it.

I saw Savage tonight and thought it was very strong.
Not a perfect film but it felt real. Great job from Muldowney and Healy.

in all fairness, adam and paul is shit. woeful shit.

Good stuff Ann, that flick is a pece of shit but everybody I know loves it ?!?!?

Anyways I just learned this about the main actor in Savage

In 2007, Healy pleaded guilty to assaulting Philip Bryan in a Dublin pub on June 10th 2005. Bryan later died from a blood clot in his brain. Healy was originally sentenced to four years in prison for the incident, with the final year suspended. In June 2009, a court of appeals replaced the original sentence with a two-year suspended sentence..

there's people like that everywhere, i don't think dublin's a particularly bad example of it

This is from last year, but the point stands

http://info-wars.org/2009/11/10/dublin-is-gun-murder-capital-of-europe./

According to a recent study, Dublin has the highest rate of gun murder in Europe. The rate is almost as high as some cities in the U.S. like Washington D.C.
So far this year, 19 gun murders, all of which were gang related, have occurred in Ireland’s capital city, which has a population of 1.2 million.
The study, published by Ireland’s Sunday Tribune, reveals that the murder rate is ridiculously high compared to rates in Britain. In Glasgow, Scotland, population 2.3 million, there have been zero gun killings in 2009. Meanwhile, just one murder has occurred in Edinburgh, where one million people reside.
Shockingly, Dublin has almost twice the amount of gun murders as London, even though the English capital’s population is almost six times higher at 7.7 million. 11 people have been shot dead in London so far this year.
The Sunday Tribune points out that Britain has more effectively tackled gun and gang issues, with police groups launching a Tackling Gangs Action Program.
A spokeswoman told the paper: “It has been a huge success. Essentially, it has targeted gang-related firearm offenses. Here at Merseyside police, we’ve had a separate initiative targeting guns and gangs since 2005. We’ve seen a 37 percent decrease in gun crime since.”
Other European cities do not have nearly the amount of gun murders as Dublin has. In Amsterdam, where there are serious gang problems, there have been nine fatal shootings among its similar sized population of 1.3 million.
In Zurich, Switzerland there have been five murders within its population of the same number. Dublin’s gun murder rate is 100 percent higher than Zurich’s.
Gardai (Irish police) told the Tribune they are surprised at these figures, but say they expect the gang murder rate to drop now that new legislation allows suspected gang members to be arrested and tried before Ireland’s Special Criminal Court.
Fine Gael and the Labor Party spokespeople say the figures are “frightening,” and shows that Irish authorities are not dealing effectively with organized crime in the capital.
“The number of gun murders this year in Dublin is frightening,” said Fine Gael justice spokesperson Charlie Flanagan. “There is no sign that the authorities are getting to grips with Dublin’s criminal underworld.”

ha ..a load of fucking students talking about studenty things....

I live in a ropey part of dublin..and I love it.

Movies are dross for the most part..dosent matter where they're set

Basically what I'm saying is they should remake Alien in Korean in Finglas..

I'm living in Cabra since got hse there 5yrs ago. I'm in the nice part though, have to say the people even in the rough part are sound. Great characters - can't do enough to help you and funny as fuck. Never had any trouble, off course you are going to get your odd scumbag, but you get that everywhere.

I live in a supposedly okay part of town. This year there have been four shootings within two minutes of my house, an elderly couple four doors down had their car burnt out and the local chipper was forced to close down due to near constant harrassment from teenagers breaking windows etc.
Gards get called 'cunts' to their faces and walk on.
The local boozer is great though, in fairness.

I live in Fairview, which is grand, and there was a shooting a couple of months ago two minutes walk from my house. I heard all the gun shots perfectly as I had my window open at the time. It reminded me of Belfast around 89-90

everyone's gone mad, we're all gonna die at the hands of some weirdo

2b0137c5d70395a7da8b20eff6dd8049.jpg

I posted the wrong pic, I dont think the two gay men running along the beach would have helped my point.

I saw the trailer for Savage and the towards the end the guy started to remind me of atleast 5 people I know.
Dublin is a nasty and violent place and it's not going to get better.
Having said that, I still feel safe enough walking around town, Blanchardstown or Finglas at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back