Running? (2 Viewers)

lately ive been thinking about experimenting with jogging in order to improve my general fitness levels however this thread has given me serious misgivings about the idea. how should i approach it? i never do any excercise so will be easily discouraged by hardship. should i just get a pair of runners and try a few short runs? do you do your stretches before or afterwards? how do you know how fast to run? what about the cold and rain - will you be grand if your running and not catch a chill?

of course i'll need to get suitably kitted out in the latest sports styles too but we can discuss that later

The two most helpul things for starting to run are:

1) Set yourself a goal. For instance, enter yourself into a 10k run in, say, in 3 months time.

2) Get a running buddy to train with. Ideally at the same level as yourself, and ideally with the same goal.

If you've never run before start off with a short distance and go easy. That way you won't get put off to easily.

Go here http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and map out a 3km round trip. Up and back. Concentrate on doing the distance not the speed. Go slow you'll be out of breath one way or another.
Once you've done that distance, increase it by a 0.5 km each time. Then increase speed.
You should be able to run 6k->10k comfortably after a while.

Oh and I find listening to motivational music helps. i.e Jeff mills live at the liquid room or some such.
Are you trying to kill the fat or just improve cardio fitness?

I obviously dunno if you're a big fatso or fairly fit so adjust accordingly.

The two most helpul things for starting to run are:

1) Set yourself a goal. For instance, enter yourself into a 10k run in, say, in 3 months time.

2) Get a running buddy to train with. Ideally at the same level as yourself, and ideally with the same goal.

If you've never run before start off with a short distance and go easy. That way you won't get put off to easily.

Go here http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and map out a 3km round trip. Up and back. Concentrate on doing the distance not the speed. Go slow you'll be out of breath one way or another.
Once you've done that distance, increase it by a 0.5 km each time. Then increase speed.
You should be able to run 6k->10k comfortably after a while.

Oh and I find listening to motivational music helps. i.e Jeff mills live at the liquid room or some such.
Are you trying to kill the fat or just improve cardio fitness?

I obviously dunno if you're a big fatso or fairly fit so adjust accordingly.
what if you're a short-arse fatso who's just quit the smokes?
would like to lose some guttage. well, alot of it.

thinking of starting running. nice big common near us id like to make use of.

how many nights a week should you do?

what if you're a short-arse fatso who's just quit the smokes?
would like to lose some guttage. well, alot of it.

thinking of starting running. nice big common near us id like to make use of.

how many nights a week should you do?

You'll be coughing up nice big black phlegm lumps for the first week! I'm currently trying to get my shit together, physically, after a few months of debauchery. I'm all about trying to lose the guttage.

If you excercise 4 times a week it's pretty good. Any more and you'll give up. 3 times, and you're just breaking even, I reckon.
Four nights of running gets tiresome so mix it up. Maybe do lane swimming once too, or go pump iyon in the gym. Swimming is good for cardio but not great for losing the flab because you end up hungry afterwards.

and how important is wrapping up for the cold?

im not a fatso, just unfit. want to make myself sexier

I dunno really. I heat up quickly when i'm runnnin' so i can go out in the cold in just me shaurts and t-shuert. Depends on yourself.

You'll be coughing up nice big black phlegm lumps for the first week! I'm currently trying to get my shit together, physically, after a few months of debauchery. I'm all about trying to lose the guttage.

If you excercise 4 times a week it's pretty good. Any more and you'll give up. 3 times, and you're just breaking even, I reckon.
Four nights of running gets tiresome so mix it up. Maybe do lane swimming once too, or go pump iyon in the gym. Swimming is good for cardio but not great for losing the flab because you end up hungry afterwards.
awesome nice one. this excerisize lark / no smoking begins tomorrow. grrrr. COME ON!!

im no quitter, i might have another go this evening. its been two days now and i can still hardly walk but my colleague tells me that if i go for a short run this evening i'll feel much better

Oh deadly Pete!!!

I'm about to go out for a run now..I'm gonna read that though...I might folly it too!

i'm on week three. if you'd told me three weeks ago i'd be running for 3 minutes without stopping / collapsing, i'd have said "no i won't"

Starting back on the running this week. That looks like a good plan to follow. How do you feel Pete? Have you lost weight or anything?

My knees can't take running on roads so I started using a treadmill at the start of the year, 4 times a week. In the beginning I hated it, just staring at a beige fucking wall but that was partly because I was doing more walking on it than actual running but once I started running more and more it turned out to be quite useful as 1. It's not banging the fuck out of my knees, though I think I've given myself a minor case of shin splints. 2. Glancing down at the timer when I'm tired and about ready to stop is a big help, if I've decided that I'm running for x amount in a given day I can push myself to keep going.

Have lost weight, dunno how much as I decided that I'm not going to weigh myself till I'm "slim" but I'm getting closer to the point where I can test out my long held theory that I coud be 15 stone and thin. I have punched 5 new holes in my belt and taken more than 4 inches off my waist, slowly getting there.

Thing is, you shouldn't really be killing yourself when you're starting out, if you feel sore and like shit for a couple of days after it there's no encouragement to go back to it. I've been overweight for more than 20 years, it's not going to be a quick fix. Even now with my schedule being a quick walk for 5 minutes to warm up, run as fast as the machine will go for 20 mins (I never in my life thought I'd be able to run for 20 minutes straight), walk for 3, run for 8, walk for 4 and done I'm still running within myself. Occasionally on the days that I fly through it without feeling tired I have stupid thoughts like "you should do a marathon."

Starting back on the running this week. That looks like a good plan to follow. How do you feel Pete? Have you lost weight or anything?
At this point it's not about weight, just trying to attain some semblance of fitness. Lost half a stone by giving up on buying chocolate all the time but put it back on in a week of holidaying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back