Running? (4 Viewers)

Would you believe I'm starting that said same program this evening.

I'm also leaving the car at home and walking into town to get the LUAS to work and gonna try an eat healthier too.

Apart from the odd game of football every now and again, I've done no form of proper exercise in years...

I expect to return to this thread by the end of the year looking like that shirtless wolfman from Twilight .|..|

why is it that when people hit their 30s they start getting into running and being healthy whereas in their twenties they destroyed themselves in every conceivable way?

Is it an age thing or is it more to do with the times (recession, etc)?

my facebook feed is wall to wall people saying they did this or that or the other run. These are people that wouldn't run out of their way before.

For me its purely a professional interest.I need to be in top shape for my act.

Edit...well that and because I havent really got anyone to hang out with because everyone I know likes to drink loads and its boring...so excerising keeps me entertained when I'm not being entertaining myself.

why is it that when people hit their 30s they start getting into running and being healthy whereas in their twenties they destroyed themselves in every conceivable way?

Is it an age thing or is it more to do with the times (recession, etc)?

my facebook feed is wall to wall people saying they did this or that or the other run. These are people that wouldn't run out of their way before.

It's probably Facebook itself. Now everyone has to look at pictures of themselves all the time so they want to look as good as/better than their friends.

I didnt take to the running at all, gave it up after my last post, hard on the knees and highly unpleasant. I started swimming and that suited me better, and the gym which i only stick with because i paid for it, its boring as fuck. It was all a thirties thing for me, my job and lifestyle are totally non-active and i realised i needed to make an effort if i wanted to be any way fit.

For me it was the reaslisation that I've only got so long before my metabolism hits a brick wall and if I didn't get in shape now I probably never would. Plus the destroying yourself gets a bit dull and you need to fill the time with something.

It was all a thirties thing for me, my job and lifestyle are totally non-active and i realised i needed to make an effort if i wanted to be any way fit.

thats probably it. Either you have kids and your only 2 hours spare you have all week are at 11am on a saturday morning and twice during the week at 6:11pm for a half-hour. Not much to be done other than go running, or all your mates have kids and have no time for you anymore, hence the need for a new, cheap pursuit. Running fits the bill quite adequately for many.

I like the bike meself. Not cheap but deadly.

Plus, abundant calories out at the weekend = gorging the shit out of yourself all the following week

The self-righteousness and unsolicited sage-like advice from people who have only recently decided to be 'healthy' is enough to drive you to the drink though.

(no one on here I think but *people* I know)

Running's great crack,I was doing loads of hill walking the last few years then read this so thought i'd give hill running a go.Working out well so far,im doing 10 miles every second day (doesn't sound a lot but there's a lot of climbing and descending which is a lot tougher than running on flats).Anyway,this week I plan on trying every day,ten miles one day then 7 the next,I have a couple of courses worked out near my house so I just gotta get off my ass and do it.The eventual goal is being able to run the length of the wicklow way in less than 24 hours.

The self-righteousness and unsolicited sage-like advice from people who have only recently decided to be 'healthy' is enough to drive you to the drink though.

(no one on here I think but *people* I know)

It could be me........eek...my enthusiasm could be mis-construed as self righteousnes..oh I dont know..I'm not gonna think too much about that!

It could be me........eek...my enthusiasm could be mis-construed as self righteousnes..oh I dont know..I'm not gonna think too much about that!

Nah you're grand. Like I said, no one here, or related to here for that matter.

I'm basically venting about 1 guy I know.

I've been considering running for some time now and this thread has inspired me to follow through... Gonna use the link pete posted too, i had no idea how to start and that looks good

I started on this course this morning too.The first weeks schedule is identical to what I was doing already.But I'm not gonna skip ahead..these things ought to be done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back