Running? (4 Viewers)

Twas during our brief ice age. The main roads were fine but I stupidly went down a quiet road and the bike went from underneath me. The bruising was truly a sight to behold. I was in bits for about two months after.

That's happened to me here.

They salt the roads but a quick rain will wash it all away and leave the road like greased glass.

You never truly appreciate how heavy you are til you hit concrete road at speed.

I'm on week 6 of the couch to 5k for the lat few weeks. I've done the 3.2k run a few times but haven't moved on. Time to get my arse in gear.

edit: before i started i'd never run further than the bus

Yea, just back from a lovely cycle along the Boyne. Still hate the feeling you get when you turn around to head home and realise the wind was behind you the whole time.

3:26 is an impressive time. fair play man CinnamonBoy. i'll be aiming for 4 hours in october followed by chicken balls.

anytime i take up running my guitar playing gets put way on the back burner. fucked if i remember all of the major scale anymore.

for the past week or two ive been toying with the idea of saying i'd do the marathon des sables before i was 40, but it just seems mental. the amount of effort that thing would take, you'd be better off using your energy helping the sick & the poor.

cycling into the wind is pure depression.

for the past week or two ive been toying with the idea of saying i'd do the marathon des sables before i was 40, but it just seems mental. the amount of effort that thing would take, you'd be better off using your energy helping the sick & the poor.

I just googled what that is, it seems like the worst idea imaginable. A friend was telling me about a thing she saw recently about an untra runner, she has something wrong with her brain (don't all ultra runners, sez yourself) where she isn't able to feel tired, which is probably handy for running stupid distances.

guide to barefoot (and allegedly injury-free) running

06running-vertical-popup-v5.jpg

Have any of you runners read "Born To Run". The mrs. just read it. Seems to be full of interesting stuff in it about running shoes.

Is that the one about those Mexicans who used to run down wild horses, or rather an American journo who went down to Mexico to look for them? I've heard it discussed on Off The Ball before.

3:26 is an impressive time. fair play man @CinnamonBoy. i'll be aiming for 4 hours in october followed by chicken balls.
QUOTE]
Thanks! I did my first one in 3:54 so 4 hours would be a very decent time. For anyone looking to get into running, when I started I couldn't run more than, at most, 1km without having to stop and recover, absolutely fucked. But I'd keep doing that for 5 miles until gradually I didn't have to stop at all. Once you get fit and you can do your run at any pace you like, there's not many better feelings.

You never truly appreciate how heavy you are til you hit concrete road at speed.

Bizarrely enough, I've never fallen while running until yesterday morning, barrelling down the slope to UCD along the N11, I clipped a ridge in the pavement and went almost head over heels, staggering forward to try and keep my balance. I'd say it was quite a hilarious sight but I got a fierce bang on my knee. And all in front of a load of students and everyone sitting in traffic.

Was it that stretch right before you get to Fosters avenue?Poxy piece of cycle lane/road.

Just after Fosters, past the bus-stop. I've ran it a hundred times and I think I saw the ridge but was just too knackered to get my foot to land past it rather than just where it would send me into a heap on the floor. There was a guy cycling by as I was falling. Never even stopped to ask was I ok. Prick.

Ah.Can't say I know it but that stretch as far as RTE has long been in bad condition.

The whole N11 is a cunt for walkers, runners and cyclists. As an added bonus, it's probably the toughest part, mentally, of the Dublin Marathon, as you round the Fosters Avenue turn and realise just how far you have to go back in towards town.

On running books, Ian O'Riordan's Miles to Run, Promises to Keep is excellent. It's a collection of his columns from the Irish Times along with some other stuff. Some very inspiring stuff in there and great to read on the bog as the columns are the perfect length for such a job. My old man ordered it direct from him for me for Xmas and he put a lovely dedication on the inside cover. I even emailed him to thank him and he got back to me with a nice email. He's an absolute gent, a Hunter S. Thompson fan, and a great writer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back