Running? (1 Viewer)

Hey,

I'm running the Dubin Marathon at the end of the month in aid of Turn The Tide of Suicide. It's a very worthy cause and for what it's worth I'm working and running harder than I ever knew possible to reach my target of around 3hrs (most likely around 3hrs10mins).

If you would like to support this cause visit my page at http://www.mycharity.ie/event/alastair_higginss_event

Thanks!

only 4 more runs to go before this poxy marathon now. one of my toenails has gone all black and 2 cunts in the office have been coughing over me for the past week.

only 4 more runs to go before this poxy marathon now. one of my toenails has gone all black and 2 cunts in the office have been coughing over me for the past week.

Don't forget to clip them before the race. I lost a toenail that way. Went black and started falling off. Had to get a pal to pull it off for me as I'm a wuss. Didn't grow back right at all at all.

I know how you feel. I'd prefer to run it sooner rather than later. Had terrible stomach cramps towards the end of a long run yesterday and had to abort that one. I'd been trying out new gels and they didn't agree with me. Due to some other poor runs I've revised my time to around 3.15, I'd be very happy with that.

I know how you feel. I'd prefer to run it sooner rather than later. Had terrible stomach cramps towards the end of a long run yesterday and had to abort that one. I'd been trying out new gels and they didn't agree with me. Due to some other poor runs I've revised my time to around 3.15, I'd be very happy with that.

3:15 would be a serious run. A friend of my uncles has run well over 100 marathons and never managed under 3 hours. It's a hard oul time to beat. Best of luck.

Don't forget to clip them before the race. I lost a toenail that way. Went black and started falling off. Had to get a pal to pull it off for me as I'm a wuss. Didn't grow back right at all at all.

eep.

3:15 or anywhere near it would be a great time. i did my 20 miles in 3 hours the other week, so fairly hopeful of sub 4 hours for the whole thing, depending on how crowded it gets. i seem to be lucky enough with gels, as long as there's no caffeine i seem fine with them. though i ate an energy bar on the 20 miler and i was burping for ages.

i did that run without any water. i was buggered after it, got a nose bleed sitting on the sofa. note to self: drink water.

that would be a sickener. i spent the last two weeks overloading on lemsips, strepsills & vit c to stave off any head colds. finished today in 3:44:01. really happy with the time. the run was a total bastard after 17 miles.

hope you got on okay nonemoreblack.

good on ye. I was positioned at the 17 mile mark with fuel for a mate of mine who was doing it. Seems that point is a serious wall for a lot of folks.

Serious achievement getting around.

The wall for me was always turning off Foster's Avenue and heading up towards UCD. You realise that 1. you're fucking knackered, the road is long and wide and windy and 2. you're only at fucking UCD and you have to run a roundabout way into fucking town. Horrible. I would get visions of an imaginary room with every can or bottle of alcohol and every pack of cigarette in it that I'd consumed in the previous year. All the things that were now making me feel so bad.

That said, training for next year starts tonight...

The wall for me was always turning off Foster's Avenue and heading up towards UCD. You realise that 1. you're fucking knackered, the road is long and wide and windy and 2. you're only at fucking UCD and you have to run a roundabout way into fucking town. Horrible. I would get visions of an imaginary room with every can or bottle of alcohol and every pack of cigarette in it that I'd consumed in the previous year. All the things that were now making me feel so bad.

That said, training for next year starts tonight...

well done to all for getting around. much respect for anyone that can complete one of these.

I have only very recently hit a non-stop 10km mark in my running. takes me about an hour. not sure exactly. usually just check the clock roughly before/after heading out the door.

interesting what you said about booze and fags there. would love to be able to complete a marathon. To what extent does one have to give up the hooch in order to realistically have a chance of completing one of these. too fond of my cans and pints at the weekend. I have recently gone back on tobacco after 14 months off the shit aswell.

in other words, how much commitment/ changing things does one have to do in order to realistically being in good enough shape to take on one of these

well done to all for getting around. much respect for anyone that can complete one of these.

I have only very recently hit a non-stop 10km mark in my running. takes me about an hour. not sure exactly. usually just check the clock roughly before/after heading out the door.

interesting what you said about booze and fags there. would love to be able to complete a marathon. To what extent does one have to give up the hooch in order to realistically have a chance of completing one of these. too fond of my cans and pints at the weekend. I have recently gone back on tobacco after 14 months off the shit aswell.

in other words, how much commitment/ changing things does one have to do in order to realistically being in good enough shape to take on one of these

Depends on your age and history really. I've pretty much drank my head off every weekend since I was 18, like most Irish people. I started smoking while I drank around 24. I ran my last mararthon at 28 without a heap of training as I'd kept up running 3 or 4 times a week since I was 23 or so.
SO....I would say go for it. I'd argue the smoking is the thing to cut out. Don't worry too much about the beer. It never bothered me. And the stories about Eamon Coghlan downing plenty of beer the night before beating all before him in the US are plentiful. Definitely the fags are the killer. They're desperate yokes altogether.

I havent been much of a drinker for the last 8 years or so, was never a smoker & weigh in at not much over 10st, so im probably made for running. not that i particularly enjoy it. i'd recommend following one of the novice plans off halhigdon.com and you'd definitely get around the course. i did the novice 1. was never into fitness, but had been doing 2 or 3 very short runs a week since last summer, 15mins on a tredmill type thing, until i started traning plans in around May for gaelforce north this year.

the training is a big commitment, but the race was a great experience. people were out cheering along the entire route, hats off to them. im going to make the effort to do that next year.

coming down the stillorgan road was a strange one. you could sense the end coming, but it was still too far out to put any more speed in or you wouldnt make it to the end. having traffic along beside you wasnt the nicest either. wouldnt say i ever hit the wall, but everything did start hurting at that 17 mile mark. hips, ankles, toes. once i got to the rds i was passing bodies all over the show, people cramping up, walking.

this morning i had leftover chow main for breakfast, followed by a hoegarden.

The support is fucking phenomenal. People, on the whole, are really fucking sound in fairness to them.

I was 10 stone once and jogged it while chatting the whole way with a mate in 3:28. Youth is truly wasted on the young.

Well done Chris D!

And big thanks to the nice Thumped heads for sponsoring me, you know who you are!

My race was mostly good. I went off at a blistering pace and did the 1st half in 1hr28mins. Hit trouble before that point with stomach cramps, then really hit the wall at about 16/17 miles, nearly gave up and started walking (briefly) at about 20 miles. Then I got my second wind after being passed by the 3hr pacers. Got my shit back together and finished in 3:07:57. I'm well happy with that as it was a bit better than I had predicted in the end.

It was sheer hell at that 16-21 mile point but I enjoyed the rest of it. Great atmosphere and it's nice to be able to enjoy a beer or two again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back