Riot in O'Connell st. (6 Viewers)

• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 410
  • Views 41K
  • Watchers 17
thinking out loud...

what makes normal, ordinary, decent people respect the law? why is it that we accept the presence of a police force and allow it to patrol, observe, question and arrest other people?
traditionally, marxists might argue that it is simply class, ie one's position in the hierarchical economic structure of society. that arguement is evident in some posts here.

but other posts have demonstrated that it is not quite that simple. many people come from 'sink' estates and never commit a crime, never join the local paramilitaries (my dad for example), some learn the knowledge required to climb the socio-economic ladder, some do not.

what is it that people share then that leads them to respect the law? it's not the social contract theory - how many of us ever sat down one day and agreed to a contract with the state, as locke and rosseau et al theorise it?
for adorno and horkheimer, the marxist focus on economy is limited. instead, they argue it is mass popular culture itself, 'the culture industry', that has the affect on mass popular conciousness, and reproduces values, 'norms' and structures of domination (be they economic, racial, or gendered).

and for michel foucault it went further - not only does mass culture reproduce values and norms, but the institutions of society from schools to mental hospitals to prisons, all seeking to know the individual, catagorise them, and normalise them. these processes produce the 'governmentality', that is, the mentality of people who allow themselves to be governed.

now there is statistical evidence available for ireland which demonstrates clearly that the police and justice institutions are concentrated on petty economic crime. in 1997 a call for 'zero tolerance' was made - in that year 100 prosecutions were taken against beggars. in 2000 the figure was 1,069
(http://www.policyinstitute.tcd.ie/bessvrfs.php). has begging increased that much in three years? or is there a concentration on producing favourable crime-reduction statistics that focus on an available and visible group in society?

and what other group or 'type of criminal' might be more visible than others?

in 1995, the coucil of europe's committee for the prevention of torture was strongly critical of the gardai's handling of persons in custody. the wheelock case has received media attention but the less-known statistics demonstrate that the police in ireland are quite brutal with arrestees. it is not controversial to argue then that a lot of people do not regard the police as something to respect or co operate with, and conversely that the police view some detainees as more deserving of brutality than others. what could be the cause of that mentality?

if we go back to the ideas of culture producing conciousness, and institutions defining and producing the normal, and the 'others', where can we imagine the role of the 'scumbag'?

is it in a cultural identity that cannot rely on certain aspirations of status? that, as aoife suggested, relates to a different conception of nationalism and the irish national 'struggle'? that will not tolerate the 'enemy', the orangemen, in the republic?
and as people who are already opposed to the gardai because they are already the subjects of the gardai's attention and violence, is it surprising that when one hated group defends the other with force they would react with force?

i would say there was no political conciousness behind the action of rioting, but rather that it was a violent meeting between two different cultural identities in the newly affluent ireland, the orange parade was the catalyst, and the police were in the middle because that's where they've always been, that's what they exist for.

the interesting thing now,.for me, is watching the dominant culture trying to come to terms with it.

Re: SCUM

What are you talking about list of schools?...
Have you done some statistics on this?
My assumption that most people came from working class backgrounds on thumped goes like this,I'm saying thumped is board for people who are into music, taking into account the working class people make up the majority of society and the board has no apparent bias towards any particular class (eg its not a board for people who like fox hunting), then I'm guessing that most people will come from working class backgrounds, like I say law of averages.
And then arseholes coming on saying the riots were some expression of working class angst or some shite, and I'm saying hey thats bollix. Me and most of my friends are working class and we never felt the need to lob bricks into a crowd.
I'm not saying labelling these people scum helps, but they are scum.
I am saying there are people in society who think this kind of shite is ok, or even to be encouraged. To deny this is to deny the obvious. If there werent a group of people that didnt think it was ok..it wouldnt happen.
I am labelling these people scum and I make no apoligies for it.

niallmc said:
I've been holding back on making this thread bigger but so much of what you stated below (or is it above) is plainly wrong. Just look at the list of schools in the thread what school did you you go to to see that most folk on thumped don't come from a working class background. Middle class people perpetuate the myth of the 'scummer' as you say. Just like other lables are thrown around with such abandon. The riot sprang from anger and opportunistic people got involved for the 'buzz'. Labelling people with such ease will never fix the problem.

MrT said:
What are you talking about list of schools?...
Have you done some statistics on this?
My assumption that most people came from working class backgrounds on thumped goes like this,I'm saying thumped is board for people who are into music, taking into account the working class people make up the majority of society and the board has no apparent bias towards any particular class (eg its not a board for people who like fox hunting), then I'm guessing that most people will come from working class backgrounds, like I say law of averages.

back to the A Team Mr T. this doesn't make any sense.

anyway, i thought thumped was equal and classless (under the power of the mighty Andy, of course):p !ninjaaaa

If you take 100 people randomly. Most of them, in most societies will be working class. See how a hierarchy works is that theres more people at the bottom. (I'm not saying this is right)
I'm saying that because thumped is a music board I dont see it has a major class bias in the number/backgrounds of people who visit it...that make sence?...so therefore I'm just assuming that most users are from working class backgrounds.Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was a fair assumption.

La La said:
back to the A Team Mr T. this doesn't make any sense.

anyway, i thought thumped was equal and classless (under the power of the mighty Andy, of course):p !ninjaaaa

so MrT, you're saying that your post consists mainly of backtracking ("I'm not saying this is right) uncertainty ("that make sence?" (sic)) and assumptions ("I'm just assuming", "maybe I'm wrong" "I thought it was a fair assumption)

hmmmm.

No no no you just assume these things are social problems without ever justifying it. Take a look at that list again.
I dont think any of the things are caused by society...perhaps nutured but not caused.

1) an idiot...we all have some limited intelligence, some people are smarter than others. (I'm talking about intelligence not education or knowledge which can be effected by society)
2) has a bad temper..we all have the capacity to loose our temper,
some people easier than others
3) too much time on his hands..This may not even be a problem!
4) a drinking habbit..This is a disease, which can become a problem in some societies, but you could be a t-total muslim and still have the capacity to become an alcholic
5) he is an idiot

I dont think any of these are caused by society. These things are in us all and are really part of human nature but if you've got a bad combination of the above it may well certainly have a negative effect on how you relate to society.
And if you are a total idiot, with a bad temper and a drinking habbit..then watch out cause you might well be...a SCUMMER!!!! (Particulary if you like gold jewellery)

I dont mind if you disagree with me but you havent actually pointed out any real objective flaws in what I've said, and yet you have the arrogance and bad manners to question my intelligence. And if you or others dont like my opinions or my language, I really dont give 2 fucks.

ICUH8N said:
You know, you're listing a lot of social problems here, but I think you have it backwards, or at the very least, you're ignoring their causes (essentially: you're only telling half the story)

They themselves are not the cause of people on O'Connell street breaking shit and burning cars. They're effects, further back on the same timeline. You've just decided that it starts at "Unemployed, proclivity for substance abuse, disposition toward casual violence"

That's incorrect at best, and disingenuous at worst. I'm going to sit on the fence here and say you're just not smart enough to have thought your argument through thoroughly, and now you're gonna get served, and not by people who are just outraged at your strong language, or by silly wannabe-anarchists, but by people who know what they're talking about, comparatively.

//edited for clarity

has anyone read the pope's children?

and the alleged 'wonderbra effect' on today's society?

MR T: the way you summarise working class with a list like that and with such brevity is cheeky.

that's all.

Theres no backtracking here.
Look at the logic.
A hierarchy is by definition bottom heavy.I am not saying, nor have I ever said that this is morally right or a sensible way to structure society.
NO CONTRADICTION, NO BACKTRACKING.
When I said "that make sence?"...I was asking did I articulate my position correctly not is my position correct?Can you see the distinction?
And yes I assumed that most people on thumped were working class and I thought that was a fair assumption, and I also thought I explained why I made the assumption.
We clear now?

ICUH8N said:
so MrT, you're saying that your post consists mainly of backtracking ("I'm not saying this is right) uncertainty ("that make sence?" (sic)) and assumptions ("I'm just assuming", "maybe I'm wrong" "I thought it was a fair assumption)

hmmmm.

MrT said:
If you take 100 people randomly. Most of them, in most societies will be working class. See how a hierarchy works is that theres more people at the bottom. (I'm not saying this is right)
I'm saying that because thumped is a music board I dont see it has a major class bias in the number/backgrounds of people who visit it...that make sence?...so therefore I'm just assuming that most users are from working class backgrounds.Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was a fair assumption.

yeah and thumped is full of foreign nationals too
and homosexuals
and oaps
and students...oh yeah it is full of students

I know what you mean, I think of the term as slightly abstract though. A kind of rough social model.
Obviously things arent as black and white as 3 totally distinct social groups.
A more apt model would be to think of society as a spectrum rather than distinct blocks.
Whenever you describe something you abstract it.

aoboa said:
Yeah - the whole class thing kinda bugs me.
Was there ever a middle class before the industrial revolution?

It would be easier to just use one of these

shovel.png

quicker than typing, y'see.

AHHHHHH!!!
Thats an awful thing to say.
I am not summarising working class with this list read my post!!!

La La said:
has anyone read the pope's children?

and the alleged 'wonderbra effect' on today's society?

MR T: the way you summarise working class with a list like that and with such brevity is cheeky.

that's all.

I keep trying to read it, but my eyes start rolling uncontrollably five seconds in.

Bernard, what are your boundaries to dominance?

i'd like to hear Slavoj Zizek's opinion on this.

Here's a glossary of terms on libcom.org

http://www.libcom.org/notes/glossary.php

▫ Class
A group of people connected by a common relationship to the means of production. In capitalist society there are two economic classes (see below).

▫ Class, Capitalist

The capitalist class consists of those individuals who do not have to work (though they generally do) since they draw enough income from property such as land, housing or businesses/stocks and shares. In terms of the entity whose interests are opposed to the working class, we prefer to refer to capital (see above).

▫ Class, Middle
Sociological/cultural term referring to a section of the working class (below). As many definitions as you can shake a feta and rocket salad at.

▫ Class, Working
The working class consists of all the people in society who can not get by without selling our time and energy to a boss - by working. I.e. if we do not make large amounts of money from property holdings or owning a business we have to be wage labourers, or in some places in the world rely on state welfare or crime.

Shorty said:
Here's a glossary of terms on libcom.org

http://www.libcom.org/notes/glossary.php

▫ Class
A group of people connected by a common relationship to the means of production. In capitalist society there are two economic classes (see below).

▫ Class, Capitalist
The capitalist class consists of those individuals who do not have to work (though they generally do) since they draw enough income from property such as land, housing or businesses/stocks and shares. In terms of the entity whose interests are opposed to the working class, we prefer to refer to capital (see above).

▫ Class, Middle
Sociological/cultural term referring to a section of the working class (below). As many definitions as you can shake a feta and rocket salad at.

▫ Class, Working
The working class consists of all the people in society who can not get by without selling our time and energy to a boss - by working. I.e. if we do not make large amounts of money from property holdings or owning a business we have to be wage labourers, or in some places in the world rely on state welfare or crime.

what happens to these definitions in the dematerialised sevice economy? Is the capitalist working for the shareholder? making him/her working class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back