Riot in O'Connell st. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 410
  • Views 41K
  • Watchers 17
Would you consider gay-bashing or beating the shit out of a refugee to be political protest too? The violence while political by context, was pure thuggery in it's execution and playing the class card is an odious digression from the facts.

Antrophe said:
Oh no its not!

OH YES IT IS!

Oh no its not!

OH YES IT IS!

Quick! Its behind you...
A group set about thrashing the headquarters of the Progressive Democrats, which was surely the best choice of targets available and must have been explicitly chosen since its location is not obvious or well known.
Bullshit.

PD HQ is a clearly marked building on the first street you'd walk down if trying to get to Leinster House when the end of Kildare Street was blocked off.

Lads. I'm back from the UCD Tae Kwon-do open (and pints) now, so I've had enough of this violence nonsense. You should see the bruises on me. I didn't get em from people who wanted to partake in a fair and well organised competitive event. I got ALL of them from people who just wanted to injure me for the sake of injuring me. My head is so fucking sore. Honest to god, one guy actually tried to kill me.

My point is:
Some people (orangemen) want to prove they are better than others, but don't need to use violence to do so, they can manipulate others in a more effective way.
And then, some people are just dicks. They WANT to be violent. There's no political reason for it There's no "socialrevolution" or whatever involved either. Some people like violence. I dunno why, but it has NOTHING to do with the working class (whatever that is) or the North. Call it hormones. Call it whatever the fuck.
But don't call it political, because its not. There was no politics involved this afternoon when I got a spinning turning kick to the base of the skull, after the ref had stopped the match. By the same token, there was no politics involved when those dudes smashed up the car in the video link that was posted earlier in this thread.

The rioters were just scum. And all the middle class (whatever that means) guilt/high minded ideals in the world doesn't change that.

That is Seáns drunken sunday post. Goodnight y'all!!!

nEiLo said:
As far as I can see, allowing this Orange march to go ahead was a symbollic gesture to show that sectrarianism was behind us and that we had moved on.

d%27oh.jpg

Unclealo said:
This interesting. Saw posted it on Indy Media as a quote from the Daily News. Don't know if its bone fida

Speaking to Daily Ireland yesterday, Love Ulster organiser Willie Frazer said: “I can’t give a guarantee a photograph of Robert McConnell will not be carried because I wouldn’t be against anyone carrying Robert’s photograph.”

Well none of them had photographs of Robert McConnell.

Considering this was reported in Daily News I'd be inclined to think this sort of thing was reported to wind people up.

1000smurfs said:
i think flag waving is a backward activity whoever's doing it.
Well I don't flagwave myself.

One thing I've noticed here - use of the word backward regarding unionists and orangemen. If someone started referring to, I dunno, black people as "backward" I suspect the reaction would be a tad different.

1000smurfs said:
A stated aim of the march was to highlight the victims of republican violence, it seems at best tasteless to have a marching band along for the ride.
Guh? Marching bands are part of their tradition. Is it also bad taste to have a marching band at a funeral procession? The US fire department seem to do it all the time.

1000smurfs said:
Probably the trouble would have happened anyway if plain-clothes unionists had just marched.

Well there were plain clothes people as well as the bands on saturday. Women and children.

1000smurfs said:
Being cynical about it, they could have scored a greater propaganda victory that way.

I really doubt they would have got to march, even if there were no bands.

1000smurfs said:
It's obvious now the march needed way more planning and thought to go into before ever being allowed to go ahead.
God, yes.

spiritualtramp said:

One thing I've noticed here - use of the word backward regarding unionists and orangemen. If someone started referring to, I dunno, black people as "backward" I suspect the reaction would be a tad different.

Guh? Marching bands are part of their tradition. Is it also bad taste to have a marching band at a funeral procession? The US fire department seem to do it all the time.

Well there were plain clothes people as well as the bands on saturday. Women and children.

God, yes.

Are you saying that everyone should respect the Orange Orders traditions?

spiritualtramp said:

Please stop.

spiritualtramp said:
celebrating ancient battles is also a backward activity. I don't think
paisley and his ilk could by any stretch by described as progressive people
whatever their colour.

spiritualtramp said:
No i wouldn't consider it bad taste to have a marching band at a funeral if that was the dominant tradition involved. However the marching band in the context of orangisim has a trimuphalist milatarisitic aspect that is
offensive to catholics/republicans, toning it down a little in the spirit of reconciliation would be nice.

spiritualtramp said:
yeah i think you're right. But maybe if they had stated from the outset that it was to be a low key march with a solemn purpose they would have given their opponents less ammunition. I'd have no problem with anyone marching
in ireland with the intention of higlighting the victims of the troubles.

1000smurfs said:
I'd have no problem with anyone marching
in ireland with the intention of higlighting the victims of the troubles.

I think it's safe to say that most people would feel the same way. But such intentions should not go unscrutinized when being coordinated by an organisation that revels in provocation and division.

I wasn't there myself but was wondering if there was any truth in the rumour that Ann Summers had it window put through and that dildo were being used to protect against police battons and anal beads were flung at the guards....

I read that indymeida article, makes some good points but i had to laugh at this comment (not part of the article):

"Of course it is capitalism to blame. If we lived in a socalist paradise we would all skip down the street. but alas we have herr mcdowell forcing young people to attack innocent people because they are marginalised."

evil bandit said:
I wasn't there myself but was wondering if there was any truth in the rumour that Ann Summers had it window put through and that dildo were being used to protect against police battons and anal beads were flung at the guards....

scurrilous rumour quoffed by randy gurrier

The Summers Of Love became the Anal Bead & Dildo Riot Rocket To Killhate

evil bandit said:

spiritualtramp said:

That's in no way comparable.
Has anyone said all unionists/protestents are backward?
The Orangemen are a minority sectarian group within the unionist community which also contains forward-looking people. They choose their beliefs and practices so criticisng them is not comparable to a racist slur.
I can't believe I have to point this out.

I believe that Black people who choose to mutilate girls genitals in the name of God or who hate all white people are backward. Is this the same as simply saying black people are backward?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back